Author Topic: Prescription Politics  (Read 238 times)

Offline nw_hunter

• Trade Count: (4)
Prescription Politics
« on: February 22, 2024, 05:14:29 AM »
So WHO does our Representatives really represent? Not a lot of difference between D's, and R's.

More than two-thirds of Congress cashed a pharma campaign check in 2020, new STAT analysis shows
Lev Facher
By Lev Facher

June 9, 2021

Interactives by Kaitlyn Bartley

STAT

WASHINGTON — Seventy-two senators and 302 members of the House of Representatives cashed a check from the pharmaceutical industry ahead of the 2020 election — representing more than two-thirds of Congress, according to a new STAT analysis of records for the full election cycle.

Pfizer’s political action committee alone contributed to 228 lawmakers. Amgen’s PAC donated to 218, meaning that each company helped to fund the campaigns of nearly half the lawmakers on Capitol Hill. Overall, the sector donated $14 million

The breadth of the spending highlights the drug industry’s continued clout in Washington. Even after years of criticism from Congress and the White House over high prices, it remains routine for the elected officials who regulate the health care industry to accept six-figure sums.

The findings, published in a new STAT examination of the drug industry’s political giving, also come on the heels of an extraordinary year for the pharmaceutical industry. In 2020, the federal government leaned heavily on drug makers to develop Covid-19 vaccines at lightning speed — helping to rehabilitate the industry’s reputation and political credibility in the process.

STAT’s analysis show

Donations from companies like Pfizer and Amgen are among the most visibly widespread.

Pfizer, which played arguably the biggest role in 2020’s vaccine race, also had a frenzied year politically. In addition to giving roughly $1 million to members of Congress,  Pfizer also wrote checks to 1,048 individual candidates in state legislative races.

Related: Pharma funded more than 2,400 state lawmaker campaigns in 2020, new STAT analysis finds
While the drug industry gave money to a broad range of candidates, it focused in particular on those on key committees that oversee health care legislation.

The top recipient of drug industry cash was Rep. Richard Hudson, a Republican from North Carolina. Major drug industry groups donated $139,500 to his most recent campaign, a sum remarkable in large part because Hudson is not a particularly powerful lawmaker, nor a known fundraiser. He does hold a seat on the Energy and Commerce Health subcommittee, an influential panel that oversees a large share of health care legislation before Congress.

Related: Pharma showers Menendez with rare, off-cycle burst of campaign cash as Democrats eye drug pricing reforms
Other committee members also ranked near the top in drug company donations, including several Democrats: Reps. Kurt Schrader (Ore.), Robin Kelly (Ill.), and Anna Eshoo (Calif.), the subcommittee chair.

Industry allies like Sens. Thom Tillis (R-N.C.) and Chris Coons (D-Del.) were also among the top recipients of pharma money. Both hold seats on the Senate Judiciary Committee, which oversees intellectual property law. In 2019, the pair authored a bill that would expand on the drug industry’s patent protections.

The donations came on the heels of Democrats’ aggressive drug pricing push in 2019. Led by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, House Democrats passed H.R. 3, the Lower Drug Costs Now Act. If passed, the bill could have cost the industry as much as $500 billion in revenue, but it was never taken up by the GOP-controlled Senate.

Related: Trump campaign’s Facebook ad blitz casts Biden as pharma’s preferred candidate
Drug industry lobbyists viewed Republicans’ control of the Senate as critical to the industry’s interests. But after a pair of January runoff elections in Georgia, Democrats control the chamber: Their 50 seats, plus the tie-breaking vote of Vice President Kamala Harris, give the party a razor-thin majority.

Despite the drug industry’s apparent interest in preventing Democrats from controlling both Congress and the White House, contributions were almost evenly split between major political parties: $7.1 million went to Republicans, and $6.6 million went to Democrats.

NEW dem repub
ALEX HOGAN/STAT
But several top Republicans, like Sen. Mitch McConnell (Ky.) and Rep. Kevin McCarthy (Calif.) — the GOP leaders of the Senate and House, respectively — also ranked in the top 15 of all recipients.

As was the case in state legislatures, the pharmaceutical industry was remarkably effective when it came to spending money on winning candidates. Very few candidates who accepted drug industry cash ended up losing reelection. Many donations targeted Republican senators at risk of losing their seats, like Tillis. Other top recipients included GOP Sens. Joni Ernst (Iowa), John Cornyn (Texas), and Steve Daines (Mont.).

Freedom Of Speech.....Once we lose it, every other freedom will follow.

Offline DDZ

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Prescription Politics
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2024, 11:14:23 AM »
Many republicans were silent as church mice on the inefectiveness, and dangers of the covid jab, and they still are. To much money flowing to them from big pharma. Our government doesn't represent we the people anymore, and haven't for quite some time.  Everyone is looking to the republicans to save this country from ruin, when many of them are the reason for the ruin. I'm sick of hearing what the republicans are going to do to help Americans, but when the rubber meets the road all they do is continue to rape Americans, and side with the Marxist party. 
Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.    Wm. Penn

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2024, 11:16:18 AM »
 The more articles I read like this, only answer is term limits, 1 item bills. Unfortunately, you'll never get the drug lords in congress/senate, to cut their own throat. Only answer might have to come from a convention of states. But with so many states being divided politically, a real long shot that might happen!
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline JBinMN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2024, 02:50:55 AM »
IMO, the lines have become so blurred that there really isn't Dems or Repubs.

It is a UniParty.

Sure,, there are some Independants, and some MAGA folks in there, but mostly they are all UNIPARTY, and as far as I am concerned None really represent WE, the people much anymore. It is a "Let's see how much I can line my pockets with cash" deal.

The b-tards don't even write their own legislation any more. It is done by Corporations & agenda driven groups & then whoever is willing to take the $$$ to push the legislation is who they get to introduce it.

Enough on this from me. I get riled a bit when I even think about the cesspool that DC has become. ( long ago)
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2024, 03:16:34 AM »
  THere should be no campaign contributions allowed from any corporate, or other business source, especially big pharma.  There should not be a
   single lobbiest in DC, there should be no funds from ultra rich partisans, no matter how they do it, and all major news outlets should be checked for honest reporting..

Next problem...who shall be the watchdogs?  Well,as originally designed, the congress shjould do it...but don't hold your breath !

They have failed miserably... in fact many congressmen leave office to hgoi into employment with lobbiest firms.

The Tytler cycle at work again..and growing stronger. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Fraser_Tytler,_Lord_Woodhouselee#/media/File:Tytler_cycle.png
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline nw_hunter

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2024, 07:18:12 PM »
The more articles I read like this, only answer is term limits, 1 item bills. Unfortunately, you'll never get the drug lords in congress/senate, to cut their own throat. Only answer might have to come from a convention of states. But with so many states being divided politically, a real long shot that might happen!

I'm not so sure about term limits. It may have worked back in the 90's, but the Federal government has been taken over by Big Corp. If you sent a Nancy P., Chuck Schumer or another Liberal packing, they simply would vote in another as bad or worse. I don't believe the Federal government can be fixed. It's too corrupted. All three branches. The Legislative, Judicial and the Executive. If things can be turned around, it will have to be started by the States. They need to start truly enforcing the laws of the Constitution. Not Federal mandates. JMO
Freedom Of Speech.....Once we lose it, every other freedom will follow.