Author Topic: Chubby America exposed  (Read 131 times)

Offline Bob Riebe

• Trade Count: (0)
Chubby America exposed
« on: April 22, 2024, 04:21:13 PM »
I am watching a documentary on 1977 Love Canal ov PBS.

One thing the program really, really exposes is how the U.S. has porked out.
99 percent of the thousands of people shown are NOT over weight.
Regardless of age or position in life.

Makes me think I should get very serious about losing a lot of weight.  :o

Offline DDZ

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Chubby America exposed
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2024, 12:24:26 AM »
Yeah, you see any videos, or photos of back in the 70's, and you don't see fat people. One that comes to mind is a video of Skynyrd playing Freebird at the Oakland Colisium in 77. The people in the crowd are shown often, and you can't find a fat person amoung thousands of people. I remember in school, it was rarity if a kid was fat. Now I see all these young kids and many of them are just not over weight, but obese. Its really sad. Most of it is from eating junk food, and inactivity. I remember the day when I could drive through the community I live near, and there were always kids on the ball field or outside playing. Now. I never see any kids on the ball field, and I do mean never.
America has grown fat, and lazy. Very few what to get into a trade where there might be some physical work involved. They all want a job sitting at a desk. When I was a kid my mom wouldn't let us sit around in the house. We were always outside working the garden, push mowing our rather large yard, working at the farm, riding bikes or playing a sport. One of my mom's sayings was. "Get outside and get the stink blown off you".  What you do as a child does become a life style for life.
Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.    Wm. Penn

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2024, 03:02:56 AM »
  I didn't notice it so much until I sat with the local historian at the county fair history booth.  Bill, the historian, posted class pictures from old
  high school yearbooks.
  Up until contemporary decades, the group pictures showed very few obese people.  My graduating class (1954) as I recall, had just one person
   out of a class of 96, who was overweight..and Pearl wasn't grossly overweight.

By browsing the web for old class photos, and found a sampling.  Photos of track teams or other specialized activities may skew the results..so I just
    picked some regular class photos.

BTW: "Get the stink blown off" was a common phrase with parents when I was a youngster also.  ;)  ;D

Below, see a random class of 1955 and one of 1925
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2024, 02:05:22 PM »
It's the couch potato syndrome.
People park in front of the television
or the computer and guzzle beer
or cold drinks and eat a half a
bushel of chips, then a full meal
at the appointed time. Then
polish off the rest of the beer and
wallow on the couch some more.