Author Topic: Forcing Cones and Backboring a NEF Turkey 12 ga.  (Read 875 times)

Offline bamaboy

• Trade Count: (0)
Forcing Cones and Backboring a NEF Turkey 12 ga.
« on: April 05, 2004, 11:28:13 AM »
Hello,
I recently purchased a new SB1-F12 Turkey gun in the camo finish.  For some reason NEF only offers the camo gun in fixed full choke.  I have read that lengthening the forcing cones and backboring can improve my shot pattern.  Has anyone had these modifications done and what results occurred? Thanks for your help.

Offline VarmintController

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Forcing Cones and Backboring a NEF Turkey 1
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2004, 11:43:57 AM »
i have a NWTF 12ga with a 24" fixed full choke. (the same barrel you have) now i was getting turkey killing pattens at 25 yrds or so before the work i had done. i had my force cone done, and a little back boring. now i get turkey killing pattens at 35+ yrds. well worth the $75 to me. now i also went with a drill and tap job to add a scope base, and a holosight. i am VERY happy with how it turned out.
The Proud Owner Of AMERICAN Made Guns!

Offline ScatterGunner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Forcing Cones and Backboring a NEF Turkey 1
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2004, 02:42:41 PM »
if you check back in one of last years "Shotgun Journal" they addressed the forcing cone issue. using pressure testing, they found that lengthing the cone to make the transition from chamber to barrel longer had little or no effect on pressure.

i did see some speculation in other articles that said that longer forcing cones caused less shot deformation and less balling (where clumps of shot stick together while in flight)

this coming weekend i plan on patterning my .410 handi barrel, i just used it on a quail hunt and had all clean kills, i want to see if a good pattern is indicative of clean kills. whatever the pattern testing shows, i won't touch the barrel, it shoots good !
there''s room for all of God''s fauna and flora, right on my dinner plate!