Author Topic: Little Old Wine Drinker Me  (Read 262 times)

Offline nw_hunter

• Trade Count: (4)
Little Old Wine Drinker Me
« on: July 12, 2024, 03:43:36 AM »
If you drink wine, are you a Oenophile, or Wino?

The state of California led the way, but the Blue state of Oregon has followed suit. Most of the rich and fertile land in the Oregon valleys that once grew food for the table and other products such as hay and seed farms , are becoming grow plots for Grapes.

What do you call someone who drinks lots of wine? I googled it, and the name (Oenophile) came up. ::)

An oenophile is someone who loves and appreciates wine. To drink wine like a true oenophile, you have to first inspect the color, then sniff it, then swish it around in your mouth. Once you've tasted all the oaky tannins and hints of red fruit, you can finally swallow.

I have always thought people who drink lots of wine, were called WINO"S  Silly, misinformed, redneck me. Wino's also love, and appreciate wine. One big difference between Oenophiles and Wino's is.....WINO'S don't inspect the color, swish, sniff and use a pretty wine glass before the drink it. Most, drink right from the bottle. Another BIG difference is the label on the bottle. Most Wino's drink a cheaper priced wine such as... Cold Duck, Gallo, Blue Nun, Boons Farm, Annie Greenspring, Thunderbird, or others.
The more sophisticated (Oenophile's) drink wine with a sophisticated name, usually French sounding like.....Chateau Larfrte, Dom Perignon, Cabernet Sanuvignon, and so on.

Back in my youth, when I drank for effect, I never drank wine unless beer or whisky was not available, and wine was. I remember drinking too much a few times and the resulting hangover was horrific. All hangovers are bad, but a wine hangover is something special. I quit drinking alcoholic beverages many years ago, but after my quad bi-pass surgery, my Dr suggested a glass of red wine after dinner for the heart. I tried unfermented grape juice for a while, but really don't care for the taste.

The few times I drank wine , I guess I did so as a Wino. I never sniffed, swished, or held it in my mouth to savor the taste. I just held my nose and chugged.

Freedom Of Speech.....Once we lose it, every other freedom will follow.

Offline orerancher

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Little Old Wine Drinker Me
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2024, 05:11:47 AM »
Yep, lot of hay ground has gone to grapes or Christmas trees...

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2024, 01:22:00 AM »
  Let's see now.. oenophile or wino..  Is that an exercie in semantics, like the difference between an "impulsive" rich child and a "juvenile delinquent"
  non wealthy kid ?

Not being an alcohol user, I can't speak much to the relative aspects of different drinks, but for sure, the speech, habits and mannerisms of those
    imbibing at a "wine & cheese' tasting, seem to differ remarkably, from those drinking wine from a bottle in a brown paper bag.. :D ;D
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2024, 02:15:15 AM »
occasional beer or whiskey neat for me. cant stand the taste of any wine.
blue lives matter

Offline Bob Riebe

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2024, 08:47:17 AM »
A wino drinks straight out of a bottle; any one else uses a glass, or coffee cup if no one is a purist.

I was in my hell raising years whe Boones Farm became the latest greatest; good taste but as you said hang-over creator.
Thirty years ago we drank a lot of sparkling wine but over he decades her drinking of any thing with alcohol dropped to a rarity.

I put out, or use my self, dinner wines on occasion as they go well with italian food, chilli, and steak.
Love the taste of what used to be called "communion wine" when Lutheran churches all used the same type but it is SO sweet so we always have a bottle here but dilute it with non-sweet wine.

Offline darkgael

• Trade Count: (1)
  • The readiness is all. 4049 posts from the “old” gb
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2024, 12:13:23 PM »
Back in the day.....Gallo Port and a shot of rye.....wine spodiodi.
Like Like x 1 View List

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2024, 10:36:45 PM »
sounds like fred sanfords "cripple" vodka and ripple
Back in the day.....Gallo Port and a shot of rye.....wine spodiodi.
blue lives matter
Funny Funny x 1 View List

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2024, 01:15:44 PM »
Decades ago had a few strawberry hills
on ice. We used to have unlimited access
to sonic ice.
Don't care for anything that dulls my
senses and affects my judgement anymore.

I wouldn't give a nickle for a truck bed
full of the finest whatever these days
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .