Author Topic: 22 Jackets from 22 Long Rifle Hulls  (Read 923 times)

Offline Sledge*

• Trade Count: (0)
22 Jackets from 22 Long Rifle Hulls
« on: March 21, 2004, 03:54:05 AM »
I'm sure this question has been asked on here a hundred times before but I don't recall seeing it so I will ask again.
      Has anyone of you ever tried making 22 jackets from 22 LR empties? Do they work OK for bullets for say shooting Prairie Dogs out to about 250 yards or would I be wasting my time and money trying to mess with them?   Just seems like a pretty cheap way to come up with a lot of jackets.  Corbin has, I'm sure you all know, a die for making jackets from 22 hulls for $129.00   Since I have a source for the hulls it wouldn't take no time at all for the dies to pay for themselves.
      Thanks in advance for your opinions and excuse me for a repeat question.       Thanks  Sledge.
KEEP YOUR NOSE TO THE WIND AND YOUR POWDER DRY!

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2004, 12:09:08 PM »
One of the more common swaging activities since 1947 is to make .22 jackets from spent .22rf casings. You will have to anneal them, and occasionally replace the punch stem as it wears after 12,000 or so jackets, but that's a $5 operation. You'll also have to be careful to separate one brand from another as the brass quality is different. Accuracy of this made  jacket, when you take proper care, is just as good as commercial jackets if you follow Mr Corbin's procedures that are well detailed in one of his books. Too, used but well cared for die sets for this procedure are available for less than new prices. 8)

Offline SINGLETREE 45

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2004, 05:04:09 PM »
I've made & used these jackets. They are cheap to make & fairly good performers, don't try to push them beyond about 3000 fps. They make a good varmit bullet about same as Hornady SX bullet

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2004, 10:45:12 AM »
We have been making them for a couple years.  Work great.  Get your die from Richard Corbin at RCE.   A little less expensive than his brother at Coribin Mfg.

Steve   :D
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002