Author Topic: Ideal alloy for 300 gr. .44 mag pig load.  (Read 708 times)

Offline Dusty Miller

• Trade Count: (0)
Ideal alloy for 300 gr. .44 mag pig load.
« on: April 17, 2004, 09:53:28 PM »
Outside of the ubiquitous "wheel weight", what is an ideal alloy for a heavy bullet  in the .44 mag. for dangerous game?  I'm interested in specifics about tin, antimony, arsenic and any other item that is commonly mixed with lead to make bullets.
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2004, 11:35:29 PM »
I like 5050 ww and lynotype. But in all reality straight ww is fine. I aviod water dropping when it comes to hunting. In penetration tests weve don ive seen bullet failures because of the brittleness of them and for the same reason I wouldnt use any alloy harder then about 20. Ive seen straight lyno. bullets fail to but mostly its at rifle velocities.
blue lives matter

Offline Leftoverdj

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2004, 02:10:02 AM »
You did not say whether rifle or pistol, but you're not going to need a very hard alloy in any case. 20-1 lead-tin would do fine. So would 3% tin, 3% antimony. I'd use WW + 2% tin, but I use that for about everything anyway.  Long as you don't go too brittle, most anything should work.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline Lee S. Forsberg

• Avid Poster
Re: Ideal alloy for 300 gr. .44 mag pig load.
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2004, 06:07:41 PM »
Quote from: Dusty Miller
Outside of the ubiquitous "wheel weight", what is an ideal alloy for a heavy bullet  in the .44 mag. for dangerous game?  I'm interested in specifics about tin, antimony, arsenic and any other item that is commonly mixed with lead to make bullets.

No more than 2% tin with wheel weights water quenched. Add some good quality lead shot for arsnic 1-2 oz per 20 lb should be enough. I cast at a high temp, 850, just at the pont of frosty bullets.
LSF/375

Offline Chargar

"Idea"
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2004, 06:33:30 AM »
I should think just about any alloy in the 14-16 Bhn would be just fine.

1: air cooled WW with 1-2% tin
2: 50-50 lead and lino
3: Lyman No. 2

Whatever gives you good accuracy in you pistol and isn't so hard it will shatter on the pig should do just ine.