Author Topic: Stony Point Steady Stix  (Read 935 times)

Offline lilabner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Stony Point Steady Stix
« on: February 11, 2004, 04:32:22 AM »
Has anybody used this product? Is it practical for hunting situations?

Offline mcrae555

Stony Point Steady Stix
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2004, 03:34:31 PM »
Hello

I have the steady stix and I have been carrying them with me for two years now and I have never used them!  There just doesn't seem to be time for me to deploy them!  I spot and stalk mostly.  I have ended up shooting off hand because all my game recently taken has been under a 100 yards.  I carry them for that just in case feeling I seem to always have.  I think they are a good product however I just havn't really used them yet much like my range finder!

McRae

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
Stony Point Steady Stix
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2004, 05:42:00 AM »
I bought a couple of them for antelope hunting last fall in Wyoming.  I had the same problem as mcrae555.  Never had time to set them up.  Both of my boys used bipods and in that situation they worked much better.   I shot my buck using a fence post that was convenient.

long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline tominboise

• Contributor
Stony Point Steady Stix
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2004, 04:23:06 AM »
Same situation for me.  I have them, but haven't used them whack anything other then gophers with my .22.  Where I am hunting sort of dictates wether I will carry them along or not.  I've found that if I have time to get the sticks out, I have time to lay down and shoot from prone, which is steadier yet.........

Tom
Regards,

Tom

Offline Wlscott

• A Real Regular
Stony Point Steady Stix
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2004, 04:41:38 AM »
I carry sticks of my own design and use them constantly. I call coyotes/predators and am able to get into a sitting position before I start calling though.

I have used them elk hunting too, and with a little practice you can get fast enough that you can deploy them for a shot on an elk.  

I've used bipods and sticks.  I like sticks much better.
You haven't hunted......Until you've hunted the hunters

Offline lilabner

• A Real Regular
End of story
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2004, 04:57:48 PM »
To make a long story short, I bought the sticks. They make for a very steady hold. If the game is moving, they allow you to "pan" the rifle through about 30 degrees without resetting them. The rest height is adjustable. I set it where it will work for either kneeling or sitting. I just spread the sticks a little wider for sitting. If the game is going uphill or downhill, you can track by bringing the sticks closer together or farther apart. I believe the sticks set up faster than a bipod WITH PRACTICE. I'll put in the time practicing with them just like I practice with my rifles.

Offline Slug-Gunner

Stoney Point Steady Sticks
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2004, 05:37:56 PM »
I've been using the SP Steady Sticks for over 4 years now. After getting "busted" while bringing my gun to my shoulder when hunting while sitting on the ground, I started using a simple forked branch to hold my gun in the "ready position" when sitting while hunting. I found that finding the correct length stick for different setups was difficult and finally bought a pair of the Stoney Point Steady Sticks. I found that they were very stable and could be easily adjusted for various heights by just changing the distance the legs were apart. The last couple of years my arthritis no longer allows me to sit on the ground itself and I have to use a camo folding chair in my ground blind. The steady stix allow me to keep the gun pointed in the general direction I expect to see deer approach in and I can quickly aim and fire very accurately. The stix allow me to use my binoculars or range finder without putting my gun down and this keeps my movement to a minimum. They collapse for carrying very quickly and can be carried in either their belt carrier, my backpack, or in my folding chair bag (along with the ground blind). With the gun resting on the steady stix I can either rest the butt of the gun on the arm of the chair or actually have it wedged against my shoulder so all I have to do is drop my head to the stock, aim and fire. Even if I have to turn right or left to fire, the gun barrel is still above the edge of the ground blind and I don't have to worry about snagging it on the blind or branches while raising it to my shoulder.

Stoney Point now makes them in two lengths so you can use the taller version while still hunting or stalking. There are a couple of web sites in my favorites that have instructions for making your own out of tomato stakes, wooden dowels, or pvc pipe. I will try to find them and post the hyperlinks to them later using the "edit" feature.... so check back in the next few days for them.

:D  :-D  :wink:
HUNT SAFELY - THINK AT ALL TIMES!

Offline lilabner

• A Real Regular
Stony Point Steady Stix
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2004, 05:55:44 AM »
There is a website with easy instructions for making your own sticks. I'd guess the materials would cost maybe $5.00. They have an advantage over the steady stix because you can lock them in straight position and use them as a walking stick or for standing shots. For blind or stand hunting they would be great, but they weigh more so I didn't think they would be the best choice for still hunting in mountainous terrain. Go to www.varmintal.com. Another advantage of the sticks- they give you a way to put your rifle down in rainy or snowy conditions without messing it up.

Offline lilabner

• A Real Regular
Stony Point Steady Stix
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2004, 06:04:07 AM »
Ooops. Try this URL instead:  www.varmintal.com/abifu.htm