Author Topic: 12 ga. tracker to go on trip  (Read 967 times)

Offline TOMMYY01

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
12 ga. tracker to go on trip
« on: March 19, 2004, 12:50:29 PM »
I was thinking today, lol.  :P My little brother last year went hunting (deer) and all he has is an old savage 410. He didn't kill anything. I've been thinking that when I go home to a reunion in june, I'll surprise him by giving him my 12ga tracker. Along with the slugs and everything with it. But before I do that, I'll run by BPS and get me a 20ga. tracker. I want him to have something that he can deer hunt with, and he can handle the recoil alot better than I can. He's kinda strapped for funds and I think it would be a nice gesture. We haven't got along for many a year and I kinda want to bury the hatchet. :grin: Plus it's already sighted in. He'll have a few slugs to fine tune it himself.            Tommy
I like my trophies on my wall and in my belly

Offline Xplorer

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2004, 12:59:23 PM »
Hey Tommyy01,
Great gesture ... life is too short to be on bad terms with friends or family.  If you can afford to purchase yourself a new gun, go ahead and give him you old one.  I have found (in my older age), that you will get more enjoyment by giving than receiving anyway.

Also, in my humble opinion the 20ga is plenty for deer, etc., and he will be turned on to H&R/NEF also.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."--Benjamin Franklin Historical Review of Pennsylvania. 1759

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2004, 01:04:55 PM »
TOMMYY01, I'm sure that will please him. If you get thr Tracker II try the Brenneke slugs (try the 2 3/4 ", no need for the 3") . Accurate and cheaper than most sabots. Good things will come to you for doing good for others....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline offhand35

• Trade Count: (74)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2004, 06:28:59 AM »
MSP RET,
which Brenneke slugs work for you in the Tracker II?
I have a load that shoots (oh, punishment!!!) using the 525gr Lyman slug mold from WW metal, and I'm trying out other 1 oz (437gr) slugs from Ballistic Products.....
I've found a listing for the Brenneke's at Natchez, for the  KO slugs for $2.21/box and for the 2 3/4" Super Magnum 1 1/4 oz. for 3.55/box.

If I can find a slug that shoots for me that I don't have to cast or even handload, I'd be pretty happy about it!
Squirrel.......the OTHER dark meat.....!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2004, 08:02:07 AM »
offhand35,  I have had luck with the 490 gr slug 32 g (powder?). They are 2 3/4 " "Mags" and cost about $6-7 for five( number on the box end flap is 2115409 on one end, and 12/70, 32G, 1 1/8 oz on the other end). I would really like to find a 1 oz slug which shoots well in my Tracker II. Other 12 Gauge  2 3/4" Brenneke slugs to consider and  perhaps even better are the "KO Sabot" about $7 per box/5, Brenneke HeavyField at about $5 per box/5 and lastly "KO Slugs" at about $3 per box of 5, but perhaps better in a smoothbore. Each gun is different and each shooters needs are different but the Brenneke's work for me...and are cheaper than some other Sabots which can go $12-$15 a box. Brenneke also has some of those expensive sabot slugs to sell you if you want to spend that much! :shock: ....<><.... :grin: If you can find the "KO Sabot" by Brenneke try them and let know, I can't find them around here and they sound promising and about middle of the road price wise....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline offhand35

• Trade Count: (74)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2004, 02:35:09 AM »
TOMMYY01,
I'm sorry, I did not mean to break the thread of your post..... :oops:

It's ALWAYS great to encourage someone in shooting as well as the outdoors!!!
It is very satisfying, I wish you well in putting things right with your brother!
Squirrel.......the OTHER dark meat.....!

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2004, 09:10:41 AM »
Tommy...That's a great idea...I wish I had a brother that would think of bringing me presents like that.  I have a sister and she knows squat about guns.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline Highbrass

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2004, 01:09:46 PM »
I dont think he'll like it. :twisted: Yoy should send it to me!My adress is............. :-D

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2004, 10:10:35 AM »
Maybe if the hatchet gets burried you can go on a deer hunt together, both using your trackers.

Your a good man Tommy!!!

Later,
scruffy
Hunting is 99% brain, 1% gun