Author Topic: New Guy Here  (Read 571 times)

Offline fifthwheel

• Trade Count: (0)
New Guy Here
« on: February 16, 2004, 04:48:47 AM »
Hello everyone, just found Graybeards looks like a cool place. I mostly shoot flintlock, but recently drove up to the new Cabelas in PA and bought an 1851 Colt Navy. Fell in love after the first shot. Any suggestions or tips on shooting this thing would be appreciated.

Offline howdy doody

• Contributor
New Guy Here
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2004, 10:31:42 AM »
Welcome Fifthwheel. I am fixin up a couple 51 Navys myself to use in CAS. I have them running pretty good, but haven't shot them yet. They are Piettas and one actually had a burr on the sear of the hammer that prevented cocking. Hmmmmm. Well, I have them polished out on the innerds and I am thinking of installing 5 1/2 barrels too. I like the feel of them and I am ready to go. I casted a couple hundred .375 balls of pure lead for them the other day and I can't wait to try them out in competition.
yer pard,
Howdy Doody

Darksider from Doodyville USA

Offline simonkenton

• A Real Regular
New Guy Here
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2004, 03:31:27 AM »
Welcome aboard, fifthwheel. As a blackpowder man, you will love your new gun.
Whether by luck, or skill, you have started out with the all time cap and ball classic, the Colt Navy. I need one of them myself.
Go to the above thread, 1858 Pietta 44 caliber for the info you need. Ignore the arguments about the middle east. It is unusual for this forum to get into the realm of politics.

What I find most interesting about the info available from this thread above, is interviews with Civil War combat veterans. These men used your pistol in cavalry battles. You might be surprised about how effective a man killer these old pistols are.
Aim small don't miss.

Offline Big John Wyatt

New Guy Here
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2004, 01:31:45 PM »
Welcome. I like it here to.
BJW
Thunder River Renegade
-------------------
"Say when"
-------------------
Back in Black

Offline Bishop Creek

New Guy Here
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2004, 03:23:08 PM »
What kind of flintlock do you have? If it shoots black powder I love it. I have a copy of a 1770s Rupp style flintlock rifle in .50 cal with a custom made 47" Getz swamped barrel and six cap-n-ball revolvers. I shoot 'em all, all the time. Been shooting a Navy .36 since 1969 and it is one of the best revolvers ever made except for the 1858 Remington.
Hacker's Creek Pioneer Descendants (W.V.)
SCV - Sons of Confederate Veterans, Camp #1208