Author Topic: best holster?  (Read 1063 times)

Offline dragonhunter80

• Trade Count: (0)
best holster?
« on: April 01, 2004, 03:11:13 PM »
Hi all!

I got my CCW gun today (or it will be that once i get my CWL - i take the class in a month).  Took it out to the range to test it out - LOOONG trigger pull, but shoots nice.

at any rate, wondering if anyone had any particular holster suggestions.  This is a Taurus Millenium Pro PT-111 (9mm).  I'm a shorter girl (5'2" :) )
with a fairly average build (ok, that extra 10 lbs needs to go....  ;) )...I am thinking an IWB holster will be best for me.  My general attire is Jeans and a t-shirt or tank top.  I rarely wear shorts, regardless of the hot weather here in FL.  Because i hardly ever wear shorts, i also considered an ankle holster, but I don't always wear boots (i end up in sandals a lot) and I am not sure i want this thing hangin on my leg!  LOL

Anyone prefer a particular style of holster and why?

A certain material?  Nylon?  Leather?  what about the plastic-looking hard-molded ones?  Paddle holsters?  (my gun shop didn't have any for me to look at)

Any particular brand anyone wants to rave about?

I'd like to try to avoid buying a dozen differnet ones, but I know I may still end up doing that to find what fits ME best.  Just hopin there might be some other ladies (or guys with packing wives ;-) ) out there with suggestions.

Thanks!

Dragonhunter80

Offline Thomas Krupinski

• A Real Regular
best holster?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2004, 03:20:24 PM »
Can't offer anything from a female perspective, and I am not familar with that cannon of yours, but we do also have some hot weather here.  Sometimes it's just gets too hot to wear enough to wear your pistol under your clothing if you are dressing for the weather.  

During those times I just carry in a fanny pack, my wife has one of the Bianchi handbags that is designed for carrying a pistol.  You might take a look at that line.

Otherwise when the weather is more temperate, I like to have a lot of options, so have a number of different holsters that I use.  They include shoulder rigs and strong side and crossdraw hip holsters.  Never could get used to one of those inside the belt holsters, tried them but they always seemed uncomfortable to me.

Offline L-Roy

• Avid Poster
Welcome to
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2004, 05:28:27 PM »
CCW!

http://www.kramerleather.com/

Look for the Confidant Shirt Holster.  I like mine!
I am, therefore, I think.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

Don M.

Offline DEPUTY

• A Real Regular
    • http://MGOUC.COM
best holster?
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2004, 07:07:12 PM »
Iteach several all ladies class a year and have 2 female teachers on staff, including female dept officers, here is my choices to you ,   comp-tac ask for shannon,  www.comp-tac.com
www.cen dex.com
matt delfatti leather, these are it the krammer shirt rig is not the best for woman for ccw carry, hips curves and breast shapes between each are issues,  in fitting most  woman. comp tac ctac is great depending on curves one thing yuo will notice is that your style of dress will change, ankle rigs are to slow to get into operation as a main gun, avoid small of back rigs as well. you most likley end up getting pants a bit larger and some tops, dont over look the fanny pack from eagleindustries.com if you need further info please contact me in pm  and i will put you in touch with several  these people and woman instructors

Offline L-Roy

• Avid Poster
Deputy
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2004, 07:30:23 PM »
You don't like the Kramer Shirt?

Well, I am taller than average and I guess it would be difficult for a shorter woman to wear, but the models on the Kramer sight show it looking good with smaller handguns for a woman.

Don M.

Offline DEPUTY

• A Real Regular
    • http://MGOUC.COM
best holster?
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2004, 10:13:35 PM »
My biggest problem with the kramer shirts are they are designed for deep cover not quick action and depending on the style of clothes you wear it is diffcult to get a draw with them with out lifitng up a shirt to under your chin, fast is key to survival, i dont want to be wearing a suit or polo shirt and tyring to get under to my tshirt to get my gun out! what about really hot humid days with a tank top or t shirt, i had one for a while. i 'am 6'5. 300 pounds and a very experinced shooter and found i had really bad times with this rig not saying it wont work for all some it might but i dont find it an easy set up to use!  nice for deep cover and if you know the attack is comming!

Offline L-Roy

• Avid Poster
I wear
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2004, 03:57:02 AM »
4 button polo-type shirts, unbuttoned, when wearing the Kramer and have no trouble grabbing the neck and pulling outward and downward to draw.

I can do that as quickly as raising an untucked shirt/other garment tail to get to something at waist level.

I do not use the retention strap, though!  No standing on your head!   :grin:

Don M.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
carry holsters
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2004, 04:26:33 AM »
dragonhunter80:  with what you have described as your general attire I would NOT choose (1) an ankle holster as they are slower than frozen dogstuff during the winter and you have to develop a specific technique for their use.  Also, they bang around your ankle if you don't get a proper fitting one and when you do find one that you can lash tightly enough to prevent movement you will have to contend with a potential swelling of your ankle/foot.  (2) The Kramer T-shirt is not the quickest thing in the world and as Deputy said, body size/type (to paraphrase) is significant in the choice.  Also, both models I see in the advertisment look like the have a pole stuck up their butts to keep their backs straight for the photo - Your Millenium 9mm is liable to drag that T-shirt right off your breast.  That may make you quite popular at the range or wherever you wear it but I doubt that would be your intention.  (3) if your typical attire is jeans and a tank top or t-shirt, forget an IWB holster, they print like a neon sign and anyone coming up behind you during normal daytime hours can spot your piece, clip you on the back of the head and have themselves a new gun.

I have always felt that a concealed carry holster should just hold the piece in place so that when you need it you can get to it quickly.  Returning the piece to the holster is not an issue for me because if you ever use it and the Police are alerted/on their way, the gun is going to stay visible until they arrive (at least for me).  The Soft leather inside the pants holsters such as the inexpensive Bauer leather holsters serve that purpose, so do the Kramer Pocket holsters as you can stick them in your belt and they stay there.  Just remember that with a IWB or CYB holster, what you have becomes plainly visible every time you sit or bend over and you will have lost the advaantage of 'concealed carry'.

I hate to tell you this Miss 5 foot two, prolly eyes of blue, but I haven't worn a concealed carry holster for years.  I can just stuff it in my waistband and it works well enough for me to be able to jog a while and keep the gun in place.  If the waistband on your typical daily attire is snug enough you could do the same with a strong side carry that prints much less than an IWB/CYB, is more rapidly accessible and more easily returned to concealment.  

Long, and I mean long years ago, Parris Theodore of SevenTrees Holsters made me his very first Inside the Pants Holster for a Gov't 45.  I used it extensively in SE Asia and S. America and still have that holster but rarely wear it.  Ken Null makes the SevenTrees designs now and he worked with Parris Theodore in his NYC shop at the time I bought my holster there.  

Finally, now that I've flapped my lips off, I guess I am recommending that if you are not a LEO and don't go chasing people around or do somersaults whith a pistol in your belt, one of those softer leather inside the pants holster might serve you well, cost you a bunch less and be comfortable for you.  If you are absolutely sold on a IWB/CYB, get one in left hand draw and use it that way.  HTH.  Mikey.

You can spend a ton of $ on a holster that doesn't work for schmidt

Offline dragonhunter80

Re: best holster
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2004, 06:53:25 AM »
[/i]
Thanks for the replies so far!  

I imagine a lot of things will change once I get my permit and am able to start carrying - including how i dress in a lot of situations.  :)

I liked the idea of the Kramer shirt a lot, but tend to despise layering my clothing (why i don't live in cold weather :) ).

I appreciate the info on the ankle holsters as well.  It sounded like it might be an option, but doesn't seem like it's easy to find a very comfortable one!  I also havne't found one that seems to have a slimmer profile AND holds my taurus.  Most of the ones i found that dind't look bulky were molded, and a taurus wasn't on their list.

I've been trying different things out.  My freind has an IWB holster that my gun fits in.  It's uncomfortable, no matter where i put it.  LOL   I always wear a belt, so my pants are tight enough, or can be made so, to hold the gun in my waistband by intself with no holster at all.

I'm figuing how i dress may very well change a lot.  LOL

Where do you all carry your concealed guns?

Dragonhunter80

PS - Mikey, sorry, i'm a brown-eyed-girl.   :wink:

Offline Ken in SENM

best holster?
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2004, 07:58:47 AM »
Carryin' a gun, any gun, concealed and keepin it concealed, while still bein' able to get to it and get it out for use sometime today, presents a challenge that is difficult to meet, and as has been pointed out, is met by each of us in his or her own way.

Physical body size and construction makes a huge difference, as do clothing styles and weather conditions. I hear and read folks sayin' that they can carry their piece while wearin' elastic waistbanded shorts and a tank top without anybody else knowin they are carryin', and I say, "I just don't think so!"

I have always found that every choice involves compromises, and none of them work for every situation and circumstance. That's why you will probably at some point in the future have more than one handgun and more than one holster. It is a fact of my life that my pockets are always tight, as is my waistband!! I can carry a quarter in my pocket and you can tell if it is heads or tails!! I sometimes carry a Kel-Tec .32 in there, in a holster I made myself to give the appearance of carrying a billfold in my front pocket.

That is a smaller gun than I prefer, but it is much better than having none. I also can't do any real fast drawing from my pocket, so it requires me to keep my eyes and ears open and be aware ahead of time if I am gonna need it. That usually also gives me time to scoot on out of that situation and avoid it all together!! (Remember that your best and most important weapon is completely concealed and resides between your ears!)

I like a belt holster, designed to securely hold the weapon (usually a snub .38 special for me) in place with a good strong waist belt. But as has been said very well, that requires specific choices in wardrobes. I also have used the soft type IWB holsters with a spring clip to hold them in place very sucessfully over the years. I like carrying my snub inside my waist band pretty well, but it's a bad feeling when it goes south and you catch it somewhere  (if you are lucky) down about the middle of your thigh as it heads for the ground!! These holsters also usually keep the grip a bit higher above your waistbelt or band and make getting a grip a bit easier.

As a curvy female type, you probably will find that most waist holsters tend to poke your more sensitive parts and make it difficult to get hold of and remove your piece, since it is leaning in toward your body instead of away. Much as I don't like carrying off the body, if I wuz a gurl, I sure would have to give thought to some of the well designed purses that will hold a serious piece. Still, ya gotta keep it in hand and keep somebody from snatchin'it!!

These days, I mostly carry my piece in my vehicle or on my scooter till I leave them, and then the very lightweight and no-fun-to-shoot snub goes in my waistband or front pocket. That means that pocket must be dedicated to the carry, without a bunch of other junk in there!!. And you will never know how heavy a pound is till you start carrying it all day and tryin' to find a comfortable place to do so that you can still get to quickly without exposing the weight to everybody around!!

Well, I have flapped longer than Mikey, and probably said much less, but these are things to think about. Please remember that whatever your choice, the compromise must still alllow access to the piece quickly. If ya can't get to it when ya need it, then be comfortable and leave it at home. Have yer head out in the light and BE AWARE. If ya have a choice, don't go where you are apt to have trouble. If you find yerself there and can do so, leave. Now! Discretion will ALWAYS be the better part of valor......

And good luck to ya as you try different options. You will soon be like the rest of us, with a box full of perfectly good holsters that you found won't work for you, at least not all the time, and with more than one choice of weapon. Whatever you carry, compromise or not, you gotta be able to lay yer hand on it now for it to be of any use. Mouse gun or not, I have not found anybody yet willing to stand still and let me shoot 'em 4 or 5 times with my .22 or my .32, or yet my .38 special. Remember the first rule: If yer in a gun or a knife fight, always have a gun!! Rule #2, more important than #1, avoid all fights if at all possible!! Rule #3, if a fight is forced on ya, do not hesitate. Do everything within your power to end it quick. Be savage, do not fight fair, bring all the hurt you possibly can to bear so as to end it and make it so that nobody else wants to fight with you, ever!!
So long ... Pudge

Offline Dave in WV

best holster?
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2004, 05:36:33 PM »
I've found for me a fanny pack holster is the most comfortable and convenient holster. It doesn't work with all attire. A fanny pack type is easy to remove in a vehicle and get back on after you get out. You can grasp your handgun and not brandish it (I did this and stopped a confrontation a few years ago). A fanny pack type is not gender specific like many belt and shoulder holsters. I've read those in the know can spot a fanny pack holster. GOOD! They know to leave me alone. That's all I really want.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline xnmr53

• Avid Poster
best holster?
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2004, 06:24:39 PM »
You might take a look at the Milt Sparks VMII. I often carry a full-sized 1911 under a shirt with this rig. With this rig, I find that concealing the spare magazine(s) is more difficult than concealing the gun.

Offline Ken in SENM

best holster?
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2004, 02:22:00 AM »
Dave,

You make some very good points. A good quality fanny pack is definitely about as comfortable a way to carry a piece as any. It must be made well and have a good sturdy stiff belt with a decent secure buckle. It needs to allow quick access and still hold the weapon securely. These have different designs to allow access to your firearm, and some are probably less foolproof than others. If you need your roscoe in a hurry, trust me you don't want it to be complicated, and trust me again,  you need to have spent a good bit of time in very deliberate practice training your subconcious mind to take the necessary steps to allow access. When the flag goes up and the adrenalin begins to pump, your subconcious will be giving you directions!! It needs to be properly programmed.

I have seriously considered a fanny pack, simply because of its comfort and the abilty to carry some other stuff out of my pockets, which I have already mentioned are tight and don't have much easy access. It will also allow carry of a bit heavier or larger piece in comfortable manner. A fanny pack can be unbuckled and laid in the seat of your vehicle and your firearm is not visible, yet it is quickly accessible if you need it. When you get out, it can be buckled on and be the same way. It can also be scooted around to the front over the top of your seat belt in "cross draw" fashion if you feel the need to be really ready for anything.

These days, I see more men wearing fanny packs, as do many women. I don't think a fanny pack screams "firearm" quite like it used to, but it still would have to give a predator pause because of the possibility. And standing there with your hand inside your fanny pack (out of sight) and a slight smile on your face should send a message that is unmistakable. If it does not, the predator is probably not going to see and be deterred by the actual presentation of the piece either.

Dave, would you like to share with us your experience in choosing the best fanny pack? Which one do you like and recommend? Any tips about wearing and using it? I suggest that you give strong consideration to carrying your driver's license and other identification in a different location, so that in the event you are stopped by an officer, while driving or walking, you can produce your ID without having to put your hands on the pack and cause him concern.  For a man, that is easy, because of pockets, whereas a woman may want to have all her stuff in one purse.

But think about this -- If you are fumbling with opening another pocket or pouch on your fanny pack and need your piece, you could be in a bit of a mess. We don't much like to drop our money and cards and important papers. The tendency is to carry too much in these fanny packs and purses, making it hard to locate what is there and get it out. When your head is down looking at your pack and both hands are tied up sorting through it, you ARE NOT paying attention to anything else!! Staying alert and aware is a constant challenge. The time to think about these kinds of things is before the fact, not after the problems.

I'd better quit. Thanks again, Dave, for provoking some good thought.
So long ... Pudge

Offline Dave in WV

best holster?
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2004, 09:12:45 AM »
Pudge, I like a fanny pack holster with a pull cord and zipper set up. I have a Bianchi black nylon model for large handguns. The time I made a shady fellow change his thoght process I had my SIG P220 in it. I know a fellow that has a De Santis and they seem good. You want a stiff backing in the holster. Mine has a sheet of plastic so the pistol doesn't "print" and helps the holster keep it's shape. I carry my wallet in my hip pocket and only my handgun and spare ammo in the fanny pack. Keeping spare keys or auto door lock remote, a small can of pepper spray, or any handy item that you could keep in the fanny pack is a plus.

I practiced drawing from the fanny pack with the firearm unloaded. I got used to the fanny pack so I didn't have to look down like I don't with my strong side leather holster. My large fanny pack holster will carry a med. frame 4" barrel revolver too. Hard to beat a good .357 for some jobs. Make sure the zippers slide easily. I found I can pull the zippers open enough to slide my hand inside the holster and not expose the firearm (no brandishing). I can move my hand outward and "pop" the holster open if needed with my hand inside the holster.  BTW, the pull cord should be in the corner for your strong hand to pull and the zippers come up to both sides of the corner. See if you can draw with your weak hand. It's not easy but a good thing to be able to do just in case.

Something for those that carry concealed or open, there is nothing so valuable other than your child you can't drop to draw your piece if needed.  Either keep your strong side hand empty or drop what's in it so you can protect yourself.

Read all you can about holsters and what works and what doesn't. Then draw your own conclusions. Accept there is no "best" holster, handgun, ammo, or technique. There is only what works best for you, where you are, the climate, and your ability.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline Ken in SENM

best holster?
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2004, 10:16:11 AM »
Dave,

Once again, excellent advice. I say that based on several years experience as a state police officer and firearms instructor. Read everything you can find, read it with an open mind, and apply what you read and hear with a large gob of common sense. Find out if something works before you need it, and when you find something that works well, do not be quick to change it for something else.

I have nothing against autos, but because of years and years of training, I can handle a double action revolver in my sleep. That is what I carry and use, because I can use it under stress and fire. At my age, I do not intend to try to retrain my feeble brain. It has enough to do without being (more) confused!!

Bianchi has always made good stuff, and seems like it is well thought out and engineered from a practical standpoint. There are certainly other good manufacturers. The hard thing to do is to try several different kinds of things without having to order and return. I especially like and appreciate your comments concerning the plastic insert that keeps your firearm from printing and which also helps the pack hold its shape. A good stiff backing is very important as is a good strong belt to keep things from sagging and hold everything up and in place.

Also good are your comments about being willing to drop stuff to get or keep your hands clear. You must think about these things up front and make a concious decision about them before trouble comes, because again, your subconcious mind does not want to drop that wallet or those keys, or that cell phone.

And especially good are your comments about the best equipment being that which is best for you in your situations and circumstances and works best for your body type and shape, etc,  and which you are very comfortable and confident with using. Thanks for your very good advice.
So long ... Pudge