Author Topic: Variable Power Scopes on a handgun  (Read 478 times)

Offline mag41vance

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Variable Power Scopes on a handgun
« on: March 31, 2004, 02:34:51 AM »
What are your thoughts on Variable Power Scopes on Revolvers?
no x now!

Offline Questor

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2004, 03:41:58 AM »
I like the fixed 2x leupold on a revolver. It's light and it fits them very well and is a very practical and durable sight.  It also covers every hunting situation that I want from a revolver.  It has an excellent eye relief and good brightness.

I'm probably in the minority, though. A lot of guys like the 2-6x Bushnell Elites and Burris 2-7x.  Generally, I prefer variables, including on single-shot pistols, but in the case of a revolver, the 2x Leupold is king.
Safety first

Offline palgeno

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
scopes for revolvers
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2004, 03:46:48 AM »
Revolver usually= range inside 100 yd so field of view is usually more important than much magnification. I find I personally can function best with fixed power (4 and 2x) on the .454 and .44mag and I use a 2-6x on a .22 since (small game) targets can be harder to see. Also use a reddot on one .22 and one .44mag for close in and fast aquisition. Some just set a variable to 4x and go up or down from there depending on the situation. But there is that field of view thing again---( Burris has that licked in the 1.5-4x and 2-7x)    pg
"Do what you can,with what you have, where you are."  Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Hcliff

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2004, 03:14:21 AM »
I have used both the variable and the fixed.  The fixed seems to work just fine.  The variable is heavier and at high magnification it is harder to see through the reticle.  It intenifies the body shaking.  My 480 has a Busnell 2x6 I usually keep at 2 or 4 power.

Hcliff

Offline unspellable

• A Real Regular
Scopes
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2004, 03:59:49 AM »
With a heavy revolver the scope is subjected to much more punishment from recoil than on any rifle, even the heavies.  For that reason I'd stick to the simpler and stronger guts ofa single power.  I'm also of the opinion that there just isn't much use for the variable on a pistol unless it's on a single shot hand rifle intended for really long range work.

Offline Bullseye

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2004, 07:28:09 AM »
Fixed 2x is the best in my opinion.  I have variables on some T/C's that are calibers that are good to 200 yds.  My Contenders that I used for deer hunting where 100 yds is my max shot, 2x is all I use.  At the range I can shoot 2" groups with a 2x scope, that is all that is needed for deer hunting at 100 yds or less which is what a revolver is for.  Plus the wider field of view and less amplification of shooter shake is a plus.  I put a 2x on my SRH last year but soon took it off, however I have a spare again and am thinking about putting it on for a while again.