Author Topic: Handi Extractor  (Read 899 times)

Offline MarkA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Handi Extractor
« on: April 30, 2004, 03:52:23 AM »
New to the NEF, but love mine so far.  I have the SS/Syn in 223 Rem.  Have a problem with extraction/ejection.  It will only extract less than 1/2 the time.  I have removed all lube from chamber and polished chamber with Flitz.  Do y'all have any suggestions?,  THANKS
Thanks and Gig''em
Mark A. Fairchild

Offline Mitch in MI

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.sportsmenforkerryedwards.com/
Re: Handi Extractor
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2004, 04:09:53 AM »
Quote from: MarkA
 I have removed all lube from chamber and polished chamber with Flitz.  Do y'all have any suggestions?,  THANKS

Does the ejector move smoothly or might it need polishing?
Are you shooting .223 or 5.56 ammo?

Mitch

Offline MarkA

• Avid Poster
Ammo
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2004, 07:05:58 AM »
Mitch: Winchester White Box Varmint, 45 gr, 223 Rem.
Thanks and Gig''em
Mark A. Fairchild

Offline Mitch in MI

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.sportsmenforkerryedwards.com/
Re: Ammo
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2004, 11:28:59 AM »
Quote from: MarkA
Winchester White Box Varmint, 45 gr, 223 Rem.

That's the most commonly mentioned ammo here, works great in most guns. All I can think of is remove and polish the extractor and/or install a stiffer spring. Check out this thread:
http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=31808

Offline kbee

Handi Extractor
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2004, 01:25:00 PM »
I started that thread and the stiffer spring fixed my problem..well that and not shooting factory ammo :lol:  With my handloads I have not had one miss-eject yet and I have shot over 150 rounds so far. The factory stuff just is too hot for my gun pluse it don't shot worth a crap with factory ammo. The gun really came alive with reloads I'm now shooting 1" group all the time.

Offline Paul5388

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Handi Extractor
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2004, 07:51:20 PM »
MarkA,

I have a little problem with case extraction in .223, but it's usually when the chamber gets a little dirty.  I find a .357 bronze/brass bore brush makes a real nice chamber brush for .223.  It works better for me than a military chamber brush.

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
Handi Extractor
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2004, 08:23:09 PM »
Mitch
I polished mine with JB's bore paste on a case run slowly but many times with a cordless drill in the chamber.  I haven't had one stick yet, factory or handloads.  Hope it stays that way.  I kinda think it will.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline MarkA

• Avid Poster
Extractor still not 100%
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2004, 03:12:53 AM »
Got my Handi back from my gunny last night.  He had put a MUCH stronger spring in it, but stated that it was not 100%.  Since I am new to NEF's what should I expect in a 223 SS NEF extractor.  Be happy with 90 or so % or send back to factory?
Thanks and Gig''em
Mark A. Fairchild

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Handi Extractor
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2004, 05:04:38 AM »
Don't know what to tell you MarkA, my .223 ejects 100% of the time with factory ammo and I would expect and accept no less....<><.... :o
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline MarkA

• Avid Poster
Even More Unhappy Now!
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2004, 05:35:48 PM »
Took my NEF to range to check out extractor and new loads.

1. Extractor is not working any better after 10 days and $20.
2. Had purchased some 223 at gun show this weekend, kinda of a local Black Hills thing w/ LC brass and all.  Well, guess what, it was all over the paper, no groups, nothing close.

So, now it does not extract or shoot, Guess it is back to NEF for my little darling!
Thanks and Gig''em
Mark A. Fairchild

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
Handi Extractor
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2004, 06:25:38 PM »
I have had "smiths" work on extractors before and have not been happy with any of their work.  Most don't seem to understand the simplicity of it.

One thing one smith told me was "the factory screwed up cause the round should not go past the extractor when you first put the round in the chamber.  All of mine do that, but it was ONLY after he worked on it that the extractor also slipped past it when trying to eject.

He now has it so that it is only an extractor.  It still does that.  Someday I'll order a new one and fix it myself thanks to info on these forums.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!