Author Topic: 6mm KragAI  (Read 532 times)

Offline bull

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
6mm KragAI
« on: March 30, 2004, 09:43:22 AM »
I have a chance to pick up a custom Encore barrel in 6mm KragAI. Anybody know much about it? Deal comes with a set of CH dies, and a handfull of formed cases.  Is this a reasonable round for crossing between say chucks, coyotes, and whitetails?  I'm waiting to find out what twist the barrel is, I'm guessing it would need to be around 1 in 9 or 1 in 10 to work with the 100 grainers. Anyone have any info??, history??

Offline bufflernickl

• Trade Count: (0)
6mm KragAI
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2004, 01:40:52 AM »
Bull,

don't know if you are still following this thread, but here's an answer from someone who *doesn't* have any direct experience with that cartridge. The Krag AI case has just about exactly the same capacity as a .257 Roberts AI, or any improved cart. on the ?X57mm Mauser case.

So, with that bit of knowledge, you can look in the reloading manuals and see what you might expect. Taking the .244/6mm Rem cart. as a base, you could add 7% to the powder capacity and maybe half that figure to velocities sand you'd have a good appraisal of its performance. Going up a bit in caliber, the .257 RI has a section of its own in the Nosler manual, IIRC, and that information would be useful if correctly interpreted.

In short, the performance of that cartridge, with proper loads and bullets, would so for all the game you mentioned. However, since I don't think personally that 6mm is a large enough bullet size for deer, I'll add that you have to be a rifleman to use it humanely, and if you are *really* a rifleman, why wouldn't you be using, say a .38-55 for deer?  :wink:

I've long thought that the Krag improved case makes the most beautiful cartridges ever designed. Look at the picture of the .25KAI in COTW if you haven't already. The 6mm KAI would be nearly as pretty.

I've been contemplating a deer/antelope in .25 KAI. on my loose Ruger #3 action for a couple of years (.25 is my personal "smallest humane" caliber for deer-sized game) and would really like to have a rifle in that cartridge. However, I think that I will make it either 8mm KI, or .38 KI or .38.56.

Best of luck if you've gotten this rig.

Cheers/buffler
Cheers/buffler

Slogan: "LABOR SVGIT"

Offline bull

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
6mm KragAI
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2004, 05:24:21 AM »
Thanks for the input buffler,  I think I pretty much agree with you on all counts. The barrel was looked at on a whim, as the price was good. I too prefer larger marbles for throwing at deer, and am working on a TCR barrel in either .375Win or the lovely old .38-55. I think I would also prefer at least .25, or even 6.5mm, as a go between rifle. I think I may hold off on this barrel for now, unless I get overrun by coyotes that wont stay within range of my .223. Thanks.

Bob   aka  bull