Author Topic: NEW TOY  (Read 1233 times)

Offline hellacatcher

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
NEW TOY
« on: March 31, 2004, 12:33:55 PM »
Picked up my new toy the big 12 ga ultra  :biggun: today just got it cleaned sure does have a pretty stock.  Try to get out and find a scope for it tonight.  If I can  mite take a pithcer and post it.  probley won't get a chance to try it out for awhile even going to have to work  this weekend had a big air conditioner go down parts be in sat. opening turkey day. :cry:  but that is life. I noticed that it didn't have a partial serial no. on the barrel checked my other 12 ga it didn't either guise they don't but them on shot gun barrels. :?
from Tennessee---Paul

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
NEW TOY
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2004, 12:44:24 PM »
I may be wrong but I thought that the only time a ser.# or partial ser.# was stamped or scribed on a barrel is when the barrel is an add on, not the original barrel that came with the receiver.   My .280 Rem Handi Rifle does not have a ser.# on the barrel.

Brett
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline hellacatcher

• A Real Regular
NEW TOY
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2004, 12:56:22 PM »
Checked 3 of my rifles they had numbers on the barrel. Now my curiosity is up. Not that it matters. :?
from Tennessee---Paul

Offline Brett

NEW TOY
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2004, 02:58:00 AM »
Hmmm... now I'm curious, and puzzled.  hellcatcher did you pick up your 3 rifles new or 2nd hand?  Mine is aprox. 3 years old, maybe they are putting no's on the barrels of the newer ones.  How old are the 3 in your stable?

Brett

Offline naedlaen

Serial Number on Barrel
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2004, 04:08:05 AM »
My NEF 223 serial NS****** has the last 3 digits of the SN scribed on the barrel lug.  I bought it new just over a year ago.  

Neal

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
NEW TOY
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2004, 06:17:32 AM »
Congrats Hellacatcher...You'll love shooting that gun.  I know that I do...Let us know what scope you choose...
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline hellacatcher

• A Real Regular
NEW TOY
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2004, 10:48:20 AM »
Brett ---Out of curiosity I checked all 5 of my rifles all new out of the box except one all have part of the ser, # on barrel. Two shot guns and muzzle loader don't. No big deal just curious.  Whiteailer--looks like work is going to keep me from that scope for a few days and opening turkey starts sat --at least the O.T. will help pay for my habit. :shock:
from Tennessee---Paul

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Working...
NEW TOY
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2004, 01:12:33 AM »
Yah...Grab the OT while you can...You've got time for that scope...Besides, I would rather be out there turkey hunting than sighting in the Ultra.  All things in time...

Offline fortress49

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
NEW TOY
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2004, 09:40:24 AM »
My new NEF rifle has the serial number stamped on the barrel.  I bought it new about 8 months ago....a .270.  Just sent it in to the facotry for a 45/70...can't wait to get it back.

Matt

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
NEW TOY
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2004, 05:00:02 AM »
Here's what I have (year is production year based on serial number)

2001 - rifle - 22lr sportster - has partial serial number engraved on barrel,
--------shotgun - 12 ga pardner - no engraving
2002 - rifle - 22mag sportster - has partial serial number engraved on barrel,
--------shotgun - 20 ga ultra - no engraving

So based on mine and others experiences, rifle get enscribed, shotguns/muzzy's don't.  As a rule.

later,
scruffy
Hunting is 99% brain, 1% gun

Offline hellacatcher

• A Real Regular
NEW TOY
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2004, 11:27:02 AM »
Scruffy--- that is what I am seeing but it makes you think you can mix and match the barrels and receivers on the shot guns just a idle  thought.
Whitetailer--- guise I am going to order the Simmons shot gun scope 2.5X20  still haven't got to the woods yet maybe sat. :-)
from Tennessee---Paul

Offline Brett

NEW TOY
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2004, 05:49:47 PM »
Quote from: scruffy

So based on mine and others experiences, rifle get enscribed, shotguns/muzzy's don't.  As a rule.

later,
scruffy

Hmmmm... guess I need to look at my .280's barrel again.  Hate to do it though, it's shooting 1-1/4" groups from a makeshift rest across the seat of a 4 wheeler.  I hate to remove the forestock, change the forearm screw tension and possibly loose my groups.  :cry:

Brett

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
NEW TOY
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2004, 06:20:54 AM »
Quote from: hellacatcher
Scruffy--- that is what I am seeing but it makes you think you can mix and match the barrels and receivers on the shot guns just a idle  thought.
Whitetailer--- guise I am going to order the Simmons shot gun scope 2.5X20  still haven't got to the woods yet maybe sat. :-)

Well I read something curious from someone who went to Ruger's Armorer session last year.  Ruger was listing all of the things they make for other gun makers like m1a recievers for springfield, AR15 trigger stuff for Colt, H&R shotguns, OH WHAT?  H&R shotguns!!!  Made by Ruger?  It didn't say recievers, triggers, it said "shotguns".  Hmmmm.  Now this is second hand because it wasn't writen up by someone from Ruger, I don't think, I'll have to go back and check.  But if it's true that ruger does the entire shotgun it might explain why the shotgun barrels aren't serial numbered engraved like the rest of nef's.

And my two shotguns both barrels fit both recievers.  They have very tight tollerances between the two, but it may have been luck that I got two close ones.

Who really knows...  I'll try and do some more digging.

later,
scruffy
Hunting is 99% brain, 1% gun

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Working...
NEW TOY
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2004, 07:22:50 AM »
Good luck with that 2.5x20 Simmons scope...It should provide you with all the magnification you need.  It's not too powerful that you will "lose" the game when moving from eyespying them to trying to find them in the scope.  This happened to me once when I was trying to zone in on a whitetail with a 4x32 scope on my 870.  The deer was about 30 yards away and moving so it was easy to see with the naked eye but when I brought up the gun I had a hard time finding the deer in the scope.  Since then I have replaced my 4x with a 1.75-4x32 Bushnell Trophy and I am much happier.  I leave the scope on the lowest power setting unless I need to crank it up to 4x.