Author Topic: scope/base adjustment?  (Read 473 times)

Offline lostchild

• Trade Count: (0)
scope/base adjustment?
« on: April 06, 2004, 01:16:05 PM »
I have a scope mounted on a rifle that I can't get the poi to meet with the cross hairs.  The poi is in the upper left part of the view my elevation and windage are at max adjustments.  Is there a way to shim my scope in its' mounts to make the poi and the cross hairs match?    thanks in advance ...lost

Offline Bushnell Boy

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.hotspothunting.com/common/showsite.asp?dovend=0&id=29555
scope/base adjustment?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2004, 01:49:38 PM »
First you want to recenter your cross hairs. I use weaver style bases with Millet rings on almost all my fire arms. With the crosshairs center in the scope I put shims under the bases to align my scope for elevation. A Bore sighter is a must have to do this. Once the elevation is correct I make the windage adjustments by adjusting the clamps on the rings. Once I have my scope lined up with the boresighter using my rings and shims then I start to use the windage and elevation adjustments on the scope. If this is done correctly I have all the range I need to make adjustments in my scope at the range or in the field.

NEVER MAX YOUR WINDAGE OR ELEVATION OUT ON A SCOPE AND NEVER FORCE THEM. THIS CAN CAUSE SERIOUS DAMAGE TO YOUR SCOPE, MANY TIMES THE RESULT WILL BE A SCOPE THAT DOES NOT HOLD ZERO.
To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk.
Thomas A. Edison (1847 - 1931)

Two roads diverged in a wood, and --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost

Offline lostchild

scope/base adjustment
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2004, 02:13:57 PM »
Bushnell Boy do you shim a scope like adjusting iron sights,  To get more elevation do you raise the rear or front?  My max adjustment was reached bu using a jewlers screwdriver between thumb and finger with a light grip hope I didn't hurt my scope.  .......thanks again lost

Offline Thomas Krupinski

• A Real Regular
Re: scope/base adjustment?
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2004, 02:27:36 PM »
Quote from: lostchild
I have a scope mounted on a rifle that I can't get the poi to meet with the cross hairs.  The poi is in the upper left part of the view my elevation and windage are at max adjustments.  Is there a way to shim my scope in its' mounts to make the poi and the cross hairs match?    thanks in advance ...lost

Consider the Burris Signature rings with the offset insert kit, I think it is just what you are looking for.