Author Topic: leupold question  (Read 916 times)

Offline bearit

• Trade Count: (0)
leupold question
« on: February 22, 2004, 11:40:14 AM »
:?:   I'm thinking of getting either a leupold M8 2.5X fixed or a VXII 1X4 for a 44mag. lever action .....but as i look at leupold's website i see that the M8 is not a fully multicoated scope but i believe the VXII is......why would you buy the M8 when they are about the same price at this time? any info and opinions appreciated.......thanks......bearit....

Offline big6x6

• Contributor
leupold question
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2004, 02:11:46 AM »
Personally, I'd rather have a 1-4 VX-II or better still a 2-7.  You still have a FOV(or better) and fast target aquisition of the 2.5 at low power setting and ALSO have more magnification for sighting in and range work.
Deactivated as trouble maker. Letters to sponsors over inline forum problems.

Offline bigdaddytacp

• Avid Poster
Re: leupold question
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2004, 07:23:09 AM »
Quote from: bearit
:?:   I'm thinking of getting either a leupold M8 2.5X fixed or a VXII 1X4 for a 44mag. lever action .....but as i look at leupold's website i see that the M8 is not a fully multicoated scope but i believe the VXII is......why would you buy the M8 when they are about the same price at this time? any info and opinions appreciated.......thanks......bearit....
........With the reduced number of lens and the size of the scope you don't really need the more expensive coatings on a 2.5 scope and it is among the most durrable of the scopes made......I usually like a variable over a fixed scope for most uses but the 44carbine is a great place for the 2.5......and I use some M8-4x's for similar all around type combos.........the light weight and size of the 2.5 looks good on the carbine.........you win with either choice......good luck and good shooting!!

Offline oldelkhunter

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
leupold question
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2004, 10:23:44 AM »
As someone before me pointed out you may not need the multicoating at the short ranges the scope will be used at. I have never had the 2.5 but have had the 1-4 Vari-x II and usually left it at 1 or maybe 2 on a 45/70 so I probably should have bought a 2.5 in the first place.
"Be thankful that we're not getting all the government that we're paying for." Will Rogers

Offline Swamp Fox

• Avid Poster
leupold question
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2004, 09:35:21 PM »
A 44 mag lever action?

Why are you putting optics on this rifle? Peeps would probably be a better option.
"We may not imagine how our lives could be more frustrating and complex—but Congress can." —Cullen Hightower

Offline Dave in WV

leupold question
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2004, 04:19:45 AM »
I'd get the 1x4 V2. It has a wider field of view and is still light. The heavy plex has a shorter parallax setting and would work well with your rifle.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline Catfish

leupold question
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2004, 04:02:32 PM »
I`m a Leupold fan and have over 20 of their scopes. Most are 3 x 9`s and are on varmint rifles. I like their 2 1/2 x 7`s on the shorter range varmint rifle. I have acouple of 24x and 1 - 36X I use for load development. As for the 2 1/2X scopes I like them on my muzzle loader and have one on a .411 Hawk. The low powered scopes are great for big game hunting as they give you all you need for a point of aim and they are great in low light plus you can find the target faster. I think you will be real happy with the 2 1/2X scope.

Offline akpls

• Contributor
leupold question
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2004, 05:22:21 AM »
Quote from: Swamp Fox
A 44 mag lever action?

Why are you putting optics on this rifle? Peeps would probably be a better option.

If he's in the same age group as me, there's this little condition with your eyes called presbyopia.  It's a great excuse to buy new scopes. :wink:

Offline Swamp Fox

• Avid Poster
leupold question
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2004, 07:09:04 PM »
I'm an old guy with eyes going south. Regular sights don't work well for me either. Peeps seem to work even when the ring is fuzzy.
"We may not imagine how our lives could be more frustrating and complex—but Congress can." —Cullen Hightower