Author Topic: BUILDING A BOWLING BALL MORTAR  (Read 1223 times)

Offline jimwaits

• Trade Count: (0)
    • http://www.rooksbluff.com
BUILDING A BOWLING BALL MORTAR
« on: April 24, 2004, 04:01:38 PM »
After seeing the excellent Florida Bowling Ball Mortar built by Bill Tyrrell and displayed on this forum I decided I had to make one. After meeting with Bill and examining his mortar closely I decided to make mine very similar to his.

Not all the dimensions in building this mortar are critical. However the 29 1/8th inch circumference for the gas cylinder has to be that or a grunt more to accept a standard bowling ball.
I obtained an old welding gas cylinder with a bit smaller circumference than Bill’s but I decided to go ahead and practice with it. I cut the nose off leaving a flat spot to weld on a powder chamber. I then cut off the cylinder at 18” total length. The darn bowling ball would not go inside the cylinder. I guess I knew that would happen. This practice is documented on this forum under “Practice For Bowling Ball Mortar Job”.
Next I attacked a 29 1/8” circumference cylinder that I had. I did the same. Cut off the nose And then cut off the cylinder at 18 inches overall. The bowling balls fit nicely now and have A bit of windage (clearance) like there should be.

More description and photos to follow as this project moves along.
Jim Waits

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
BUILDING A BOWLING BALL MORTAR
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2004, 04:22:13 PM »
Add a few pictures and you're on the way to writing a book!

thanks!
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)