Author Topic: Really goofy question  (Read 1029 times)

Offline Awf Hand

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Really goofy question
« on: April 10, 2004, 03:00:49 PM »
Okay guys, be honest with me.  I have a .357mag Handi that I want to shoot a LOT for awf hand practice.  Using jacketed or plated 158gr. bullets over 11.0 grains of Accurate #9, how many shots could I expect before I'll have worn it to a point of poor accuracy?  Don't say it can't happen -and don't bother suggesting lead bullets, they aren't as accurate and after 90 different load combos in the last three months, I'm tired of farting around with them.  

So how long will my bbl last?

Can I get a bbl from NEF without having to send in my action?
Just my Awf Hand comments...

Offline Haywire Haywood

• Trade Count: (2)
Really goofy question
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2004, 04:03:54 PM »
Couldn't comment on barrel life but there will be no replacing it.  NEF just discontinued the 357Mag in the barrel program.

Ian
Kids that Hunt, Fish and Trap
Dont Steal, Deal, and Murder

usually...

Offline marv

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Really goofy question
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2004, 05:08:37 PM »
Awf Hand  just a wild guess, 3000 rounds + or- a few. If I did ware
 it out I'd get a good smith bore it to 41 mag or 44 mag.
Just my 2 1/2 cents worth. Marv.

Offline Paul5388

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Really goofy question
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2004, 05:30:34 PM »
This is what Accurate said in 2003 about using a 158 XTP with AA#9.
No. 9 13.5 1502 15.0 1633
So, you are 2.5 gr under the starting load.  Hardly a good recipe for excessive barrel errosion.  

Most people get a minimum of 5000-6000 rounds out of a S&W before they have any problems, but it isn't barrel problems unless it's the forcing cone.   Forcing cone problems happen after a long time with a whole lot hotter loads than what you are suggesting.

I suppose I should have looked further before I posted.

Speer #13, page 360,
158 gr with AA#9 in an 18" barrel
13.7 gr 1551 fps
12.3 gr  1353 fps

My .357 Mag Handi produced these chronographed results in .357 Mag brass and I have been shooting 15+ per day without worrying about wearing it out.
220 gr Speer JFP
13.0 gr Lil'Gun
CCI 400

1509 fps
1529 fps
1545 fps
Average 1527 fps

200 gr Rem PSP
CCI 400
14.0 gr Lil'Gun

1652 fps
1699 fps
1668 fps
Average 1673 fps

Offline JPH45

Really goofy question
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2004, 03:53:20 PM »
I would be willing to bet you would shoot at least 10,000 rounds before wearing your barrel to the point you could actually tell it. And after that, it would be a simple matter to ream out the chamber to the longer 357 Maximum, which would clean up the throat and you could start all over again. You simply cannot the get flame temperatures and length of burn nessicary to quickly erode the throat. Another appraoch would be to find a load using Unique, Accurate #5 or Universal Clays that would suit your needs. Throat erosion is a combination of flame temperature and partially burned powder particulate that acts like a fine sandblasting. Wear from the bullet, plain lead or copper jacketed is for practical purposes negligent.
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline ajj

• A Real Regular
Really goofy question
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2004, 03:43:55 AM »
I think JPH is on the right track and I bet his estimate is conservative. The passage of the bullet down the bore causes insignificant wear. The pressure is the thing and with this reasonably mild load in a .357 caliber barrel from a straight-walled pistol cartridge it's not going to be very high. You're just not burning much powder. HP competitors get 8000 round barrel life from .223's! If it shows visible wear under 30,000 rounds I'll be surprised and a little wear at the start of the lands doesn't necessarily harm accuracy significantly. I wouldn't worry about it.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Really goofy question
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2004, 09:43:16 AM »
Personally: I think you'll get tired of shooting it, and move on to something else before you shoot out the barrel.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Awf Hand

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Really goofy question
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2004, 01:29:18 PM »
I like sourdough's answer best!

I have owned this rifle for 4 months and I've put about 1200 rounds through it.  I've been using a really mild load for the following reasons:
Mild recoil/report
I get about 600 shots (allowing for spillage) per pound of powder
The bullets are cheap to buy
My brass lasts a long time
I can use carbo dies (unlike other calibers for this rifle) in my progressive press
The accuracy is fantastic!!
I'm getting lots of Awf Hand practice for Schuetzen, while I'm able to used sealed cartridges that are fast to reload.

I've been able to consistantly shoot 1-1/2" to 2-1/4" groups at 100 yards.  This same load at 50 yards (some bad things must happen between 50 and 100 yards) are in the sub 3/4" almost always.
A good, fairly-powerful load is 16.5gr of H-110 behind the same bullet (Win 158gr. JHP). With the flash-holes and primer pockets uniformed, the  cases trimmed to all be a uniform length, and CCI 400 rifle primers used, this load is plenty powerfull and is pretty consistantly in the 2" range at 100 yards.

How can I post some of my groups as I know you guys would like to see what this thing is currently doing?

30,000 rounds. - We'll see if the action will last that long.
I'm going to shoot the HELL out of this rifle.  Consider it a torture test!  The quest is on to wear the rifling out of this thing.  If I can do it, I'm going to TREAT myself to an EABCO rifle in 357mag as a replacement.
Just my Awf Hand comments...

Offline ajj

• A Real Regular
Really goofy question
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2004, 03:51:42 AM »
Awf: At the rate you're shooting you'll be at 30,000 in about eight years. Keep us posted.