Author Topic: linotype question...  (Read 760 times)

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
linotype question...
« on: April 12, 2004, 03:02:50 AM »
i recently obtained a bunch of lead through work that is pretty much the same as plumbers lead.  really soft.   a friend of mine has a big chunk of lead that he acquired when he bought his house (it was left there by the previous owner).   so we dont know what exactly it is.   it is definitely lead type metal and my friend reports that it takes noticeable more heat to melt this lead than other lead i gave him.   anyone care to take  a guess as to what we are dealing with?  i am hoping linotype; because if it is i am set as to how i am going to harden up the other lead i have.  perfect for muzzleloader bullets but too soft for pistol bullets.

Offline jhalcott

linotype question...
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2004, 07:38:43 AM »
I believe Linotype melts some what BELOW the temperature of pure lead.
The higher tin content is the reason.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
linotype question...
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2004, 11:58:52 AM »
Thats correct the harder the alloy the easier it is to melt. Plumbers lead isnt nessicarilly pure. It could have tin in it. My guess is the new stuff you have is pure.
Quote from: jhalcott
I believe Linotype melts some what BELOW the temperature of pure lead.
The higher tin content is the reason.
blue lives matter

Offline Flash

• Trade Count: (82)
linotype question...
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2004, 01:05:45 PM »
You could be dealing with babbitt. this can usually be found in long bars with eyes molded on the end. It appears to look like a 30 lb. fishing sinker. Linotype melts at a much lower temperature than lead. This contributes to a fair amout of gas cutting when using hard bullets. Make a small batch of the combined metals and see how it turns out. I have used lead shot before and got real nice results on some gas checked bullets.
What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
linotype question...
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2004, 05:16:07 PM »
interesting.   so according to what you guys are telling me it aint linotype.   this  "babbit" stuff, does that melt at a higher temp than pure lead?  and where does babbit come from?   the piece he has is 2 feet by 1 foot by 2 inches.  one big block.  i gave it the hammer test and it doesnt seem any harder than wheel weight lead.  go me by the shorties... thanks to those who have shared their information.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
linotype question...
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2004, 11:41:38 PM »
the babbit i have is 92% tin and 4% antimony and 4% copper and melts at at a lower temp then pure too. Id guess you have something like a piece of lead that was used as ballast in a boat. Probably pure or close to it.
blue lives matter

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
linotype question...
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2004, 11:43:42 PM »
cast a couple bullet with it and send them to me and ill do a hardness test on it for you.
blue lives matter

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
linotype question...
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2004, 03:28:55 AM »
thanks for the generous offer.   i will take you up on that once i get ready to go.  i was waiting on an auction an ebay (thought i might snag a star sizer cheap :-D ) but it has gotten to the point i could buy one new cheaper.  so anyhow i am going to order the remaining things on my list for casting today and it will be a few weeks before i am ready to start in.