Author Topic: Saeco Lubricizer and Hard lube  (Read 599 times)

Offline Haywire Haywood

• Trade Count: (2)
Saeco Lubricizer and Hard lube
« on: April 03, 2004, 02:31:02 AM »
I have some Felix lube that I wanted to stiffen up with candle wax and see if I can stop having to dust everything I cast with Mica.  I went to order a heater for my Saeco and discovered that they don't offer one for it.

Can I just crank down on the stiffer lube or am I just going to have to continue using soft stuff and the messy powder?

thanks,
Ian
Kids that Hunt, Fish and Trap
Dont Steal, Deal, and Murder

usually...

Offline Leftoverdj

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2004, 03:27:47 AM »
Depends on how much you stiffen it.  My batch of Felix is hard enough not to be messy and soft enough to work unheated. Your luber should work fine if you can get it around NRA formula stiffness.

You can also improvise heaters. The design of my Herter's lent itself to wrapping the reservoir with heat tape and that's all the heater I have ever used. Other folks use contraptions involving light bulbs and coffee cans or even the intermittent application of a hair dryer.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline Haywire Haywood

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2004, 07:32:27 AM »
Thanks DJ, that heat tape is a good idea, should work well with the Saeco.

Ian

usually...

Offline Shootingamigo

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2004, 03:45:54 PM »
Lyman offers a flat heater that is drilled for their Lube machine (not the 4500) and is drilled for RCBS and Saeco. Midway Usa has them for 35.00 plus shipping but shop at Mid south Shooters Supply Graf and Sons and FM Reloading. FM reloading has many things cheaper. Cabelas has the best prices but are limited in what they carry.

Offline Haywire Haywood

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2004, 11:01:14 AM »
Much thanks.. looks like just the thing.  I wonder why Saeco doesn't offer one.

Ian

usually...

Offline haroldclark

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
Saeco Heaters
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2004, 07:38:08 PM »
Many years ago, I bought a heater form my Saeco that was universal for all Lubrisizers.  It is simply a piece of aluminum plate about 3/8th inch thick. It had a little aluminum box with a cord running out for power.  Over the years, the little box came loose and finally fell off.

Inside that little box was a little girl's play iron (clothes iron) with the handle removed and the rheostat protruding through a hole in the little box.

As I recall, I paid a goodly sum for this inovative idea.

Where does one get Heating Tape?   The rheostat on my little Iron has pooped out.

Harold Clark

Offline Leftoverdj

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2004, 02:17:33 AM »
One gets heat tape at any hardware or home supply store in a place that gets freezing weather. Its primary purpose is to protect pipes from freezing. You want a short one, say 4', and it should run about $5.

I warn that I have never used it with a hard lube. I used it to make NRA formula lube work in an unheated shop. No rheostat, you control the heat by how tightly you spiral it around the luber.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline haroldclark

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
Heat tape
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2004, 01:57:59 PM »
Thanks for the input.  I live in California and Heat Tape is not common here.  I will look around though.

Harold