Author Topic: What do you think ?  (Read 831 times)

Offline NYH1

• Trade Count: (0)
What do you think ?
« on: March 09, 2004, 06:28:43 PM »
What do you guys know about military knives. I'm thinking about getting a Ka-Bar. Either the Ka-Bar "Next Generation Knife" #1221 or the Ka-Bar "Extreme Fighting/Utility Knife" #1282. Does Ka-Bar make a good product? Do the Marines use them because their a good knife or because their a good priced knife? Thank's
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline jh45gun

What do you think ?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2004, 10:35:29 PM »
Never had one so I cannot tell you one way or the other. I have a Western Bowie and a Western L8 that has a 8 inch fighting,hunting type blade so I guess I am set for fighting knives if needed. The Western Bowie made a name for itself in Nam from what I have read so it cannot be all bad of a knife. I only knife I would like next  would be one of the assisted opening knives that are almost as fast as a switchblade but still legal. Jim
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
What do you think ?
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2004, 04:05:33 AM »
You might get more responses on this down in the Knife Forum. It is fairly active and has some pretty knowledgeable folks posting there. But the jarheads I know personally really like the Ka-bar and feel it a truly fine knife.

BTW since you're from NY you might want to look in on the NY Hunting Forum we have here also.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
What do you think ?
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2004, 04:38:10 PM »
NY Hunter;
 The Marines bayonet and "K-Bar" style knife are both made by Ontario, right here in Western NY.
  I attend the same small, country church with the Pres. of Ontario, and he says they carry the full contract for both with the Marines. The Ontario plant is only about 4 miles from my house.
    My Grandson is in boot training at Parris Island right now. I have included in my letters for him to ascertain how the "K-Bar" he spoke about is actually an Ontario. He hasn't replied yet to that particular question...must have other things on his mind...LOL
   Ontario makes a terrifically rugged line of military/survival knives.
They make the traditional K-bar, leather washer style, as well as that and many other styles with Kraton handles (See the Spec Plus line).
    I tend to like the Air force survival knife with a functional saw blade back. They are 1095 carbon steel with a black finish...

www.ontarioknife.com
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
What do you think ?
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2004, 04:48:17 PM »
BTW...Ontario has a sister company...that makes perhaps the highest quality utility and collectors knives in the US. There are generally 93 hand operations in each knife. Much of the blade polishing is done with emery/crocus cloth ...by hand.

www.qcutlery.com
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
What do you think ?
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2004, 01:14:14 PM »
NYH;
  You live in Syracuse...pop on over to Camillus N.Y.
  The Camillus factory is there on rt 5, just east of you..(I believe It is just off route 5..)

Camillus makes a very good copy of the K-Bar Marine fighting knife.
 They have in times past, furnished the one for the Marines.
  Camillus quality is high.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
What do you think ?
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2004, 03:26:07 PM »
Marine corps update;
  My grandson finally remembered to write back and tell me that Yes!...both the bayonet and fighting knife are stamped "Ontario USA"

Offline NYH1

What do you think ?
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2004, 06:01:26 PM »
Thanks ironglow!  :-)
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
K-Bars
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2004, 03:38:57 AM »
NY Hunter - I've used the same K-Bar I've owned for the past 36 years.  I picked it up while I was in the service and it has been with me ever since.  I would replace it with the same knife if I needed another.  I cannot count the number of whitetail I have dressed with this knife and I will not recount its other uses.  It is the sturdiest working knife I own.  I have broken others of higher price and supposedly bigger names, and the so called fighting knives lots of folk reference usually refer to the fight you have with yourself over paying so much for something like a Gerber or Tanto or something...  This is just my 2 cents worth, but I hope this helps.  Mikey.

Offline NYH1

What do you think ?
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2004, 07:28:15 AM »
Hey guys, I ended up getting the Ka-Bar Next Generation Straight Edge Fighting Knife, #1222. It has a 7 inch 440A stainless steel blade. This knife is awesome. I should of bought one years ago. Thanks for all the input! :-D