Author Topic: Southern hunters?  (Read 472 times)

Offline oktx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Southern hunters?
« on: August 31, 2004, 07:06:57 AM »
Will killing hogs under your deer feeder now harm the deer hunting in the fall?

Offline huntsman

• A Real Regular
Southern hunters?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2004, 07:46:26 AM »
IMO not at all. I have seen B&C class bucks grazing within 2 or 3 yards of a recent hog kill site. Last season I killed a trophy buck standing 35 yards from where I shot a 200 lb. hog just four weeks prior.

Deer, like other wild animals, are very attuned to changes in their environment. They may well avoid a kill site the first few days afterwards (although I have seen them walk calmly right over a spot where a deer gut pile stood just 36 hours ago), but they will very quickly return to their normal routine when it becomes apparent that there is no immediate threat. Death of animals in a deer's world is routine, so I don't think they attach too much importance on where it happens, or else they would be quite restricted in movement in a very short time.

Much more damaging would be deer repeatedly sighting you on your stand or in the vicinity, or leaving repeated lingering odors that are distinctly human in the area.
There is no more humbling experience for man than to be fully immersed in nature's artistry.

Offline 7magWoodsman

• Contributor
Southern hunters?
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2004, 08:09:57 AM »
I agree with huntsman.
"To me the rifle has always been the most romantic of all weapons, and of all rifles, the one I love the most is the rifle for big game." Jack O'Connor

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Southern hunters?
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2004, 12:01:26 PM »
Maybe.

If the deer is standing beside the hog when you shoot him.  :)

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline cam69conv

• Contributor
Southern hunters?
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2004, 10:37:11 AM »
lmao :)  @ Graybeard, Naw It wont bother them too awful much..They may be a lil skiddish a couple days but will, like the others said, fall back into routien
You want a divorce if I go hunting today??? Well sorry ta see ya go...Was nice knowin ya..Dont let tha door hit ya where tha good lord split ya :D