Author Topic: Buffalo "ball-et"  (Read 1126 times)

Offline drummerboy

• Trade Count: (0)
Buffalo "ball-et"
« on: April 04, 2004, 10:00:37 AM »
Hey fello metalheads! I have a Lyman Great Plains blackpowder rifle with the slow twist. The 240grn Buffalo Ball-et  shoots 3/4" at 100yds bench rest. No other bullet works well. Where can I get a mould so I can cast my own?

Offline Black Jaque Janaviac

Buffalo "ball-et"
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2004, 10:01:55 AM »
I think the Buffalo Ball-et is a swaged bullet, not a cast one.  I don't think there's any way you can get that waffle-weave pattern from a cast-bullet mold.  

You might try the Bullet swaging folks.  

.75" is impressive.  Have you tried patched roundballs?  Also there's the Lee REAL bullets, they're pretty short and stubby like the Ball-et.
Black Jaque Janaviac - Dat's who!

Hawken - the gun that made the west wild!

Offline drummerboy

drummerboy
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2004, 01:27:30 PM »
yes I have used patched round balls exstensivly, get 3" at 100yds on a good day(no wind), but have not tried the Lee REAL bullet yet. Thank's for your input.

Offline Longcruise

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.mikeswillowlake.com
Buffalo "ball-et"
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2004, 05:59:06 PM »
Drummerboy, not sure how that real will work if you have the slow twist barrel.

What caliber are you shooting?

There are some custom mold makers out there who would probably make you a mold.  LEE will do it for 100 bucks plus the price of the mold(s).

FWIW, REAL bullets shot wonderfully at 50 yards in my TC .50 & .54 with 1/48 twists.  Moved to 100 yards and the groups were literally all over the paper.  I still have one of those molds around here for I think a .54 real if yur interested in a purchase.

Offline drummerboy

drummerboy
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2004, 02:09:20 PM »
It's 1in60" twist, .50cal.  You're right about 100yds, everything changes!! Thank's for the reply!

Offline Haywire Haywood

• Trade Count: (2)
Buffalo "ball-et"
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2004, 10:45:20 PM »
I have the 54 cal Lyman 60 twist Great Plains and can testify that the R.E.A.L. bullet sprays wonderful patterns even at 50 yds.  The only thing I've found that shoots well in mine is RB.

good luck,
Ian
Kids that Hunt, Fish and Trap
Dont Steal, Deal, and Murder

usually...

Offline Blackhawk44

• A Real Regular
Buffalo "ball-et"
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2004, 03:08:35 PM »
Black Jack is on.  With the Lee REAL in the slow twist, always choose the lightest weight, 250gr for 50, 300 for 54.  In my old 50 CVA with 1 in 66" I get 1.5" groups at 100 by using 90gr FFg with an Ox Yoke felt wad (with a little extra lube) and a 250gr REAL.  Actually shoots a little better than round balls.  If you try the heavier weight for the bore, you are defeating your purpose.  Slow twists demand a short projectile (RB, REAL, BallEt), as the faster the twist the longer the projectile it wants.