Author Topic: Choke Tube Question  (Read 920 times)

Offline lik2hunt

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I want to acheive excellence, not perfection.
    • Authentic and Genuine
Choke Tube Question
« on: April 17, 2004, 02:46:20 PM »
I've seen some posts about the barrels that are mad eto receive choke tubes. The turkey and goose barrels as they are listed in the barrel accessory program. I was just wondering if the Mossberg 500 tubes are interchangable with these barrels or is it another Mossberg tube that is?
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"
George Washington…. also known as the Father of our Country

><> Galatians 2:20 <><

www.dsheriff.org

Offline turkeyhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Choke Tube Question
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2004, 03:36:28 PM »
They take the the same choke as the Winchester or the Mossberge 500.
Colossians 1:18b:  "That in all things He might have the pre-eminence"

Offline turkeyhunter

• Avid Poster
Choke Tube Question
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2004, 03:39:38 PM »
Oops!   :)  :)   Should have checked the spelling before I submitted it.  I know, I know, Mossberg!  :roll:

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Choke Tube Question
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2004, 03:43:10 PM »
lik2hunt,

All Win-Choke tubes would be interchangable (Mossberg 500, 5500, 9200)with the H&R/NEF barrels. That would also include Winchester, Savage, Browning, H&R.

It would NOT include Mossberg Ulti-Mag (835, 935) or Browning Invector Plus (Browning Gold 3.5, Winchester Super X2).
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline lik2hunt

• Authentic and Genuine
Choke Tube Question
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2004, 04:06:43 PM »
Well then that makes a $59 investment a little more appealing. I have a Mossy 500 Accuset 12 ga. Came with full, mod., and IC chokes. I also purchased a 2x full turkey choke for it. This thing is a monster to carry in the "turkey woods". With the 2x turkey tube hanging off the end of it, it makes the barrel around 30" long. It is a great wingshooter but not a turkey hunter. I was thinking about getting the 24" barrel in the accessory program and just carrying my Pardner next year. I was thinking about a little custom cammoing, some studs, and a sling and there ya go....Turkey gun.
Gobble, gobble, gobble......KABOOM!!
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"

www.dsheriff.org

Offline turkeyhunter

• Avid Poster
Choke Tube Question
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2004, 05:57:12 PM »
I am thinking of doing the same thing but I want to wait until the vent rib barrel comes out.  One thing that I wondered about was whether you could buy a threaded barrel without the choke tube.  According to the person that I spoke with in customer service, you can deduct the price of the choke and just ask them not to include it in the order.  I hope this is true because I see it as a waste.  I will more than likely use a ported tube that I already have.

Offline lik2hunt

• Authentic and Genuine
Choke Tube Question
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2004, 09:30:18 PM »
How does that ported tube affect range and/or accuracy. What kind is it and where did ya get it? Lot of questions I know but I am thinking about one myself if I go the 24" barrel route.
lik2hunt------>in OK

www.dsheriff.org

Offline turkeyhunter

• Avid Poster
Choke Tube Question
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2004, 02:53:01 AM »
:D Mine is a Gobblin' Thunder that I got at Bass Pro here in Memphis.  (My sister in law works there, think I don't take advantage of the employee discount! :)  :) )

I can't remember the constriction right now but there are several available to suit your particular desire.  The porting helps reduce the recoil and, as with all chokes, accuracy and range will depend on what constriction you use.  

Remember, if you are going to use hevishot it acts like the choke is one size smaller than it is.  I like this however for close shots you have to be right on.  Hope this helps.   :grin: