Author Topic: Question on Original guns  (Read 643 times)

Offline MOGorilla

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Question on Original guns
« on: April 15, 2004, 02:05:36 AM »
Since it has been quiet in here:

1st, does anyone still shoot an original cap and ball?  It would probably be crazy because anyone in good enough condition to shoot would be worth some money, but I am a proponent of that's what they were made for.  

2nd, Does anyone know anything about the Cooper Double Action revolver?  Was it more reliable than the Starr?   I know it looked like a colt navy and was made in .36 and .32, but other than that I know bubkus.  How did its action differ from the Starr?

3rd, Has anyone been to one of the shows that Palmetto was at.  I heard from a friend at the last years SASS convention in Vegas that Palmetto was there and not only were they going to make the root revolver, but the Root musket as well.  I know the Root revolver is out through Dixie, but not getting rave reviews.    Anyone heard anything?

Offline Shorty

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2004, 04:38:29 PM »
Mo,
'Don't know anyone who shoots an original, but I remember seeing a Remington in a gunshow back in '66 for $15!  

The Cooper, I had to look up!  J.M. Coopers were made c. 1850s to 1864 in .31 and .36, mostly 1864-69.  'Don't know about their functuional qualities, but after the War, there were so many Colts, Remingtons, etc. around that it didn't matter how good they might have been.

Offline 1860

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2004, 01:00:10 PM »
I shoot an original 49 pocket/4", it came to me in an old wood box, mostly dissassembled and the grips looked to have been in a fire.  But, the bore was completely plugged with a wood dowel as were the cylinders(no pitting), no nipples but the scene was all there.  We think it might of been used as a kids toy at some point, mainly because the metal was not all that beat up and the wood box it came in was a box of school chalk dated 1888.  Some teacher probably took it from some kid way back, the box was found in an old school warehouse.  I rebuilt it, only thing not an original part is the wedge, recased the frame, hammer and lever and had the blueing redone(no buffing), even had the silver redone(read that I spent way too much money on this gun).  It's really pretty and shoots well for what it is.

Offline MOGorilla

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2004, 07:10:11 AM »
My dad was born in 32 and told me stories that he used to play cowboys and indians with guns from the civil war that were kept in the shed.  He said he wished he would have known what they had.  I would love to have an original in shooting condition, but it hard enough convincing the wife that I need the replicas.    :)

Offline Sundown Holly

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2004, 07:00:52 PM »
MOGorillia, in answer to your question, some folks do shoot originals. I have an original 1851 Navy that I picked up a few years back (manufactured Fall, 1861). In the past, someone in trying to restore it took a file to it and ruined any collectors value.  I have been restoring it a little at a time for about 3 years. I have no intention of making it look "new", just well preserved. It has the original cylindar but when I shoot it I use a new cylinder I purchased from Dixie and had fitted. So the new cylinder would look like it fit, I used naval jelly to remove the gun blue, and then gave it a cold blue.

The bore is somewhat pitted but even so the old gun shoots like a dream. It has become my all time favorite hand gun and I love it for plinking, trail side arm on my hikes in the desert etc. I don't have a lot of money (hence the reason restoration has taken so long) but was fortunate to find it at such a good price. I never dreamed in a million years that I would be able to afford an original. This one cost  slightly a bit more than what one of the Signature Series Navy Colts would have cost, and was a real find. In in answer to the age old question "If you could only have one gun..." this one would be my hands down favorite.

Offline HWooldridge

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2004, 03:23:53 AM »
I have fired my G-G-G-Pa's 1860 Army but it is very worn so I discontinued the practice.  It was reasonably accurate at 50 yards and would keep everything on a Clorox bottle.  Good enough for man killing at the ranges it was designed for.