Author Topic: 45-70 Loads  (Read 1041 times)

Offline Wlscott

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
45-70 Loads
« on: April 14, 2004, 10:42:12 AM »
Well, the dies are here (thanks Mac), the brass and bullets will be here tomorrow, and the new 45-70 barrel will be here sometime the end of this month.

I've got some good info from Mac via email, but thought I'd go ahead and get as much info as I can.

I've got 300 grain Remingon jacketed hollow point bullets, Starline brass, and CCI Large Rifle primers.  I'm thinking of H4198 for powder.

Anyone have any other recipies that they want to give up?
You haven't hunted......Until you've hunted the hunters

Offline Wlscott

• A Real Regular
45-70 Loads
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2004, 08:53:27 AM »
Nobody else loading for 45-70?? :(

Offline Leftoverdj

45-70 Loads
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2004, 09:07:32 AM »
I'm loading for .45-70, but cast only. Can't be a bit of help to you with jacketed bullets except to comment that 4198 is a fine choice.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline dpastor

45-70 Loads
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2004, 09:11:20 AM »
Yup

My loads are either Reloder 7 or Pyrodex.  Pumping up the loads for a 300gr jacketed hollowpoint in a Handi is in my humble opinion a great way to expedite a trip to the dentist.  One thing that I never took the time to do was assess the accuracy of the bullet in this rifle.  While not as  exciting as some full bore loads, 34 gr Reloder 7 with 1/2 gr dacron wad behind a 405 gr alox lubed wheelweight Lee bullet shoots 2 to 2 1/4" groups at 100 yds with factory open sights.

Now, I will admit that I am not a hunter and specific hunting loads may require you to pad your shoulder.  I'll let the others regale you with stories of their pet elk loads.

Have fun.
Even a turtle has to stick its neck out to get ahead.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
45-70 Loads
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2004, 09:56:12 AM »
Wlscott, This is a sweet and easy shooting 45-70 load I have spoke of here before. Hornady 350 Grain jacketed FPRN behind 28.0 grains of 2400. accurate and little recoil....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline RussB

• Avid Poster
  • Always walk softly and carry a big ol' smoothbore.
Re: 45-70 Loads
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2004, 01:12:50 PM »
Quote from: Wlscott
Well, the dies are here (thanks Mac), the brass and bullets will be here tomorrow, and the new 45-70 barrel will be here sometime the end of this month.

I've got some good info from Mac via email, but thought I'd go ahead and get as much info as I can.

I've got 300 grain Remingon jacketed hollow point bullets, Starline brass, and CCI Large Rifle primers.  I'm thinking of H4198 for powder.

Anyone have any other recipies that they want to give up?

Wscott....I think you are on the right track with that 45-70. I would gladly give my own loads but you can never expect them to be right in YOUR gun. I do think that working up a load with H4198 and the 300gr HP will be lots of fun since that is a very "shootable" load in any 45-70.
All too often the fellers who get a 45-70 jump onto the biggest, baddest thing out there and then they complain about recoil and the gun not being accurate. Play it safe, take the long way home and enjoy the trip.
Respectfully, Russ

Offline flaco

45-70 loads
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2004, 02:06:50 PM »
wlscott, i haven't had any luck with the reloader 7 but the imr 3031 has come in really good. 51.5 grains of 3031,rem brass win, mag primers.getting 1" to 1.25" groups at 100 yds  consistently. wish i had a chrono for this but don't. hope you find one that works.  :D
.223 and 45-70 handi rifle

Offline flaco

45-70 loads
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2004, 02:09:48 PM »
forgot to mention that i am using 300 grain rem hollow points for this load....flaco :D
.223 and 45-70 handi rifle

Offline Wlscott

• A Real Regular
45-70 Loads
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2004, 03:49:15 PM »
That's what I'm wanting.  I'll be experimenting with other bullets (Including cast DJ).  

I also understand that loads that work for some, may not work well for my particular rifle.  I just like seeing all of the other recipes out there.

One thing I've noticed looking at load data for the 45-70 is that there is a lot of different powders that will work for it.

Offline rmtaylor

• Avid Poster
45-70 Loads
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2004, 11:25:02 AM »
I have been using H4198 and Hornady 300gr HP. So far fair performance but I am working on it. Range time has been hard to come by. I started at 45 Grains and am working my way up. The Hodgdon book shows a max of 55 grains.

Richard
NRA Member
Living in Michigan but  "MY Home's in ALABAMA"

Offline Wlscott

• A Real Regular
45-70 Loads
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2004, 11:46:00 AM »
I have been using H4198 and Hornady 300gr HP. So far fair performance but I am working on it. Range time has been hard to come by. I started at 45 Grains and am working my way up. The Hodgdon book shows a max of 55 grains.

I have that same data.  They're using a trapdoor rifle though.  Surely these H&R's will handle higher pressure than that.  I kind of figured on starting at the lower Marlin levels and working up to either the start of pressure signs, or where my shoulder can't take the pounding anymore :eek:

Offline Leftoverdj

45-70 Loads
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2004, 01:33:13 PM »
WIScott, I've come to a very few conclusions about loading cast in the .45-70 Handi and even those are subject to change. I've had my successes with fast powder, fat bullets, and low velocities. 12 grains of Unique under a 405 grain bullet gives excellent accuracy and is best when the bullet is quite soft and .459 or larger in diameter. This gives velocities around 1100 fps.

During cold weather I was getting very good results with 27.0 grains of 5744 or 31 grains of 4198. I ain't getting them now and haven't figgered out why. Could be that cutting back a grain or so will get them back to shooting good.

I've had a terrible time getting plain based bullets bullets to shoot well past 1200 fps in Handis in a variety of calibers. For a while I was doing all right at 1300 fps, but never past that. The place to start is with bullets around 400 grains. Limited shooting with lighter bullets was discouraging, and recoil is gonna be a big factor with the heavier bullets. I'm working myself up order a  400 grain GC mould to try to get more velocity. GC's have let me do that in other calibers and I have high hopes.

I'll keep the board posted on what I am up to.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.