Author Topic: How Many C&B Pistol Shooters?  (Read 850 times)

Offline mec

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
How Many C&B Pistol Shooters?
« on: April 18, 2004, 12:35:50 AM »
Does anybody have reliable figures about how many people are involved in shooting the pistols and revolvers? How big is it in the various countries?

I read a good piece by a member of the Muzzleloading Association of Great Britain.  It seems that shooting the single shot caplocks is a fairly popular thing in Britain and Europe.  He said that after the "Hand In"  it seemed like everybody bought a Ruger .22 rifle, a lever action rifle and a c&b revolver.   There was a brief surge in the revolver shooting but then many shooters lost interest because of the inconvenience and relative inaccuracy.
Guns are like the vote. They work best when everybody has one
Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline J.W.Neely

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=Dragoons-sptia
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2004, 03:55:05 PM »
:)  That has to be the most unknown  thing on the planet.
I know that our monthly club shoot , there may be 1 or 2 CB shooters out of 80 . ( I am one of the  2 ) .

Offline Cactus Cris

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2004, 06:18:09 PM »
At one of the monthly's here you might get 3-4 and sometimes 5-6.  All depends on who shows.  There is always at least 3 (myself inc.)  This is out of 100-140 total.
Cactus Cris  SASS 2790  Darkside Posse, Cart maker, Corral Keeper, Gpa of 6

Offline Joseph Wheeler

C&B shooters
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2004, 12:24:28 PM »
I know an individual who carries a '58 Remington made by Uberti on there everyday farm chores ,  he loads it with paper cartridges all waxed tight and loaded with a patch between the conicle and the powder . Ive seen this gun submersed in water for several seconds and come out firing . The old farmer   started carrying a BP revolver because of the lax laws regarding the use and carrying of such a piece but it grew on him and turns out he prefers it over a cartridge revolver for most circumstances because of the versatility he has in creating his own loads for the gun for whatever he intends to use it for at the moment . I wonder how many more individuals who use guns daily in real life circumstances use BP revolvers over a cartridge gun ? If I was facing down a 6 ft timber rattler in the middle of nowhere I'd still prefere my old Navy issue Smith and Wesson "Hand Ejector" in .38 Special over a BP . But then again I aint used to mine yet .

Offline tryit

How many people shoot C&B pistol
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2004, 10:08:30 AM »
Gents, I have been shooting these pistols ever since 1958. I have been carrying for the last 22 years a .31 Uberti Colt clone pocket model around the farm for rats. This little gun has had some work done to it and is astoundingly accurate and I know where every shot is going. I take particular delight in going to the range and shooting my Uberti Remington .36 against the poor fellows that have 45itus,9mmitus and 357itus. Everyone thinks these pistols cannot shoot very well. They are astounded when the .36 stands right there with all the 'itus shooters and shoots as well or better than what they have. I have had to order a few for some of these fellows. I do help them to get their guns shooting as best as I can. tryit

Offline Will52100

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2004, 06:10:18 PM »
While don't do it that much, I've caried a clone 1860 colt army around the farm, and since have gone to a 51' navy.  I caried a block of wood split in two with 6 cavities for paper cartriges and round balls for a load if needed.

I personaly don't know of any one in these parts who shoot cap and balls, everybody around here want's pyrodex, knight muzzeloaders, shotgun primmers and discarding sabot rounds.

I just started CAS and there's always a couple or three people shooting cap and balls.
The thing about freedom, it's never free
www.courtneyknives.com

Offline Edgewood NM

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2004, 07:21:32 AM »
I carry a NMA Remington as a daily carry since in NM it is legal to carry in the open and CCW is technicly legal due to the guns status. But back to the main question. When I do venture to the city to the city gun range I am usually the only one with a C%B pistol. I get sent to the far downwind side as not to cause a smoke cloud to hang over the centerfire shooters. But the NMA remmie is more accurate than most of the folks carring .40. 9mm etc. Plus I know my gun very well!!!:) Off of the Bench with sand bags that old Pietta wil hold about 1.5 to two inches. Freehand in thSASS Frontier style I can hold about 3-4". Folks just can't belive they are that accurate.

Chuck
Enemies may come into our country and times will have changed, but then the boys will come down from the old high hills and belt on their guns again.
Louis L'Amour

:cb2:

Offline Willie Wheelgun

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2004, 05:55:38 PM »
I was bird hunting down in Hepner, Oregon a few years back with about a dozen guys. After a day of bird hunting, we all decided on a little target practice and them all shooting 9mm autos.  I charged my .36 '51 Colt Navy and standing further back than the auto shooters shot the pop cans off a fence post that I am fairly certain they didn't hit.  They all laughed when I fired the first shot because of the beller and smoke.  Then they noticed the first can was gone.  I am sure they thought it was dumb luck until I took out the next two with two shots.  Then they wanted to know all about my hog leg!
Willie
America, home of the free because of the brave