Author Topic: Personal Carry Handgun for Iraq  (Read 890 times)

Offline Sixgun

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Personal Carry Handgun for Iraq
« on: April 29, 2004, 03:23:33 AM »
My son's Guard unit is being sent to Iraq this year.  I talked to him last night and he is wondering what he should take as a personal carry weapon when he goes.  He is in his third year of college with a new wife and he is low on funds so he can't get anything too expensive.  He wants something that he can carry in his pocket all the time.

I used to have a NAA mini in 22LR that I kept in my pocket all the time and he thought that was what he wanted but I suggested that he get at least a 9mm.  One that came to mind to me right off would be a Kal-tec.  It is a small DAO, 9mm made from stainless that is quite rugged.  I have a friend who has one and I have shot it quite a bit since I do all of his loading.  I was really impressed with the pistol, espically considering the price of the gun compared to the rugged quality.

My son is a MP and he will be carrying the standard US Army Beretta 9mm and should have a ready supply of 9mm ammo to stoke a personal handgun with.  I don't know what kind of availability there will be for other kinds of ammo.  I am sure that he could take some but when it is gone he may not be able to get more.

Anyway, these were my thoughts.  He is open to suggestions so give us a few.

Thanks,   Sixgun
You can only hit the target if the barrel is pointed in the right direction when the bullet leaves the barrel.

Offline XP1900

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2004, 03:40:44 AM »
i seen questions like this before on other forums and the answer has always been to drop the whole idea.  he won't be able to take a personal gun with him.

Offline Thomas Krupinski

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2004, 03:46:16 AM »
Nothing, anything other than his issue pistol is just another thing to have to keep track of, and may be in violation of policy anyway.  Speaking as a former army MP 67/68 in Vietnam.

Offline securitysix

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2004, 06:13:38 AM »
IF it's not against policy, he might consider either a Hi-Power or a Makarov.  Both of those were issue weapons in Iraq to one extent or another, so finding ammo for them shouldn't be difficult, plus the Hi-Power uses the same ammo as the M9, so it would be even easier to get ammo.

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2004, 07:28:41 AM »
If it were legal and MY son was involved I'd go to the bank and BORROW whatever it took to supply him with a high quality sidearm and all the ammo he'd need.
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2004, 08:19:10 AM »
Sixgun:  if it is not illegal or against military regulations for your son to possess or carry a personal weapon, have him pick one up over there.  Browning Hi-Powers are/were plentiful and inexpensive.  The open markets sell firearms right on the street.  

If the heat in Iraq is anything like the heat was in SE Asia he will probably or may probably wear an untucked shirt over slacks and a P-35 Hi Power will slip right into his belt without problem.  It is also very quick to produce if the need be under those conditions - the SAS we spent some time with showed us that.  HTH, and wish him good luck.  Mikey.

Offline Castaway

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2004, 09:23:39 AM »
In theory, he can take a hand gun with him legally, if it's on his orders.  I've not heard of any unit authorizing personnel weapons to be taken to Iraq.  It is easy, once you get there, to aquire a pistol to tuck away.  I know personally of a young soldier that took his Kimber and could not bring it back because it wasn't on his orders.  A friend of mine is now toting it around as his "back-up."  Pistols are readily available once in country, from the old Beretta Brigadeer to High Powers', along with a host of others.  From my contacts, the cost isn't inflated and he could easily dispose of it when it's time to leave country, recouping his initial investment.

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2004, 03:02:21 PM »
If it's legal to take one a Kel-Tec 9mm would work well. They are small and light. If I took a handgun it would be small and light enough to carry ALL the time. Dave
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2004, 03:22:12 PM »
like many others have said, it is against the law.  the only thing he will do by trying to take one is get his butt in a ton of trouble.  i dont agree with it; but that is the way it is.   as some have suggested; get a handgun once in country.  when he leaves, dispose of it or pass it on to someone else.   just be glad he has a m9; and keep that rifle clean and CLOSE.  make sure he understands that RIFLE  (not the pistol)  is the key to his life.  treat it as such.  good luck, GOD bless him and keep him from harm.

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2004, 03:41:27 AM »
I can't say it is illegal to take one. I could have during Desert Storm but didn't have a handgun that would be easy to carry at that time. I could have had mine put on my orders but didn't bother. If I did take mine I could not have kept it with me so it wasn't worth the bother.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline Sixgun

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2004, 04:56:38 AM »
Thanks Guys for all of the advice.

I served in the Air Force for 6 years during Viet Nam and never set a foot in the country.  My little brother did 3 two year hitches in the Marines during that same time and ended up spending 3 tours in Nam.  He said that when he got off the plane he just had 2 $100 dollar bills in his hand and bought a shotgun from one of the guys getting on the plane to go home.  When he left, he sold it to some poor sob getting off the plane he was flying out on.  

If I were going to Irak today I would want a good pistol to carry ERERYWHERE I went.

My son will be doing his 2 week summer camp starting Saturday and in June go to Texas for training for 6 months.  There is still time to talk to his first sgt and decide what to do and I am sure he isn't the only one to have this question.  I'll post something when he gets the official word.

Sixgun
You can only hit the target if the barrel is pointed in the right direction when the bullet leaves the barrel.

Offline LCSNM

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2004, 06:34:43 AM »
Things getting hotter in Iraq.
Happened to catch BG Kimmets press conference this morning. I have watched many of these conferences.  this morning, the BG had a conspicuous shoulder harness on. Black against his uniform. Apprently not that used to wearing it as he adjusted it a couple of times.
Tried to see the holster, but the podium blocked the view. I understand their are bounties for the seniior officials over there.