Author Topic: a good ultra slug scope???????????????  (Read 920 times)

Offline buckslayer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
a good ultra slug scope???????????????
« on: April 17, 2004, 12:57:11 PM »
i put a bushnell trophy 3-9x40 [retail price 140$] so i think i paid enough for it. then i got dave hendersons book Shotgunning for deer[a good,good book] and read that you should pay at least 300$ for a shotgun scope. did i waste 140$ on a ''bad scope''???????. the gun i put on is a ultra slug 20 ga. P.S i was on h&r talk till they took it off :evil:  :evil:
I've got to many but never enough!!!! :eek:

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2004, 04:48:47 PM »
The $40.00 bushnell 4x32 fixed I have on my 870 slug gun has worked fine for 5 years now. There are a lot of serviceable scopes that are way less than $300. I am no expert on optics but there are a lot of guys hear that know much more than I on the topic. Do a search and maybe also try posting this question on the rifle forum.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2004, 05:13:25 PM »
buckslayer,

That bushnell Trophy scope will be fine as long as you have enough eye relief. I have a Trophy in 1.75-4X32 on my Ultra Slug Hunter, it is very clear, bright and holds zero as good as any scope I have ever had.  I am sure yours will be fine too. While Dave is very knowledgable, he makes his living off the industry. You DO NOT need a $300 scope on a shotgun! Like Markus stated, there are a lot of serviceable scopes out there, like the one you already have. Your Trophy is definitely NOT a "bad scope".
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2004, 08:06:26 AM »
$300 for a scope on a shotgun  :eek:  :-D  :shock:  :?

I don't think so...

I agree with Busta...I own the same scope he does.  The Bushnell Trophy 1.75-4x32 is mounted on my 12 GA Ultra Slugger...I like that scope so much that I bought a second one for my Remington 870 Slugger.  This scope has held up to the severe pounding that 12 GA's give out without a hiccup on either gun over the past two years.  I paid $95.00 for the scope and that was with shipping.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2004, 08:13:26 AM »
Oh and by the way...Welcome to the site...Stop by and post away any time you feel.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline scruffy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2004, 07:42:12 AM »
$300????  Wow, I've yet to see a $300 slug gun scope!  

I have a 3-9x40 bushnell banner muzzle loader scope with circle x recticle and never had any problems holding zero or anything.  And it was no where near $300.  And really, I've never spent $300 on a scope for anything I've used alot.  My weatherby wears a Bushnell elite 3200 3-9x40 that I picked up for $130 as a display model, but even regular it's only a $200 scope.  And anyone familiar with bushnell's 3200 line knows they're a good line of scopes.

I'm only leary of scopes under $100, doesn't mean I don't buy them, on the contrary, I just check them over extra good and buy them from somewhere with a good exchange policy to avoid the hassles and downtime of sending it back to the factory.

Sounds like you have setup buckslayer!!!

later,
scruffy
Hunting is 99% brain, 1% gun