Author Topic: How about us working out somekind of get together????  (Read 1185 times)

Offline JPH45

• Trade Count: (0)
How about us working out somekind of get together????
« on: April 18, 2004, 05:15:36 AM »
We've been haging out in this cyber reality for over a year now. How about we get real and work up a face to face get together? I am sure that somehow I could work out some kind of arrangements with the rifle club back home in Athens, Ga to use their facilities and there are more than a few hotels and camp ground in the area for those who prefer to go on the cheap, so to speak. I am sure that someone here has access to similar facilities in a location more central to the region, perhaps making it more possible for this to actually work. I thin there is also a range over toward Huntsville, AL. and there is are also the Cowboy Action folks over the way here with a very nice facility we might be able to work out accomadations with. Anyone interested?????? How can we make it happen?
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline mag41vance

• A Real Regular
Sounds like a good idea
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2004, 05:21:48 AM »
Sounds like a good idea.
 Although sometimes putting a name with a face can be disappointing, funny, and difficult. I'm game if the game isn't to far away.
                          RV
no x now!

Offline rmtaylor

• Avid Poster
How about us working out somekind of get to
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2004, 12:15:29 PM »
With enough planning time I hope a lot of us could make it. It would be great to get face to face advice from this panel. :grin:
Huntsville is only about 30 minutes from my Parents but I have been gone for too long to know anyone in the area to make arrangements.

Richard
NRA Member
Living in Michigan but  "MY Home's in ALABAMA"

Offline GrampaMike

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2004, 03:24:34 PM »
Great Idea!  I would be willing to travel to an event.

Mike
Grampa Mike
U.S. Army Retired

"Say what you mean, mean what you say"
Father of 2 GREAT sons, and 9 grandchildren.

Offline Leftoverdj

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2004, 04:36:47 PM »
I'm up for a meet within 4-5 hours from me. Do we have anyone  who could make arrangements anywhere between Asheville. NC and Bristol, TN? Seems to me that area would be reachable for most of us in the SE, and far enough west to include WV, most of Ohio, and KY.

Some of y'all who do more traveling than I do may have a better idea, and it'll be clearer when we hear from more folks. A range that will have us within 300 miles of 20 interested folks should work.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline hellacatcher

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2004, 05:07:51 PM »
If things worked out I would like to try for a get together  :car:  need a good road trip. :D
from Tennessee---Paul

Offline JPH45

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2004, 06:07:41 PM »
That seems about right, a 4-5 hour drive max for anyone. Sounds like a line through the middle of Tennesse and going as far north as the Kentuky/Ohio border. Does that sound about right???? Haywire it sounds like you are on the spot or close to it. Got any ideas on this???? A farmers back forty with a good bank would work, as I only envisioned an informal shoot amoung friends, but I'm sure I would have no trouble scraping up some spent primers and cases for a prize :) How does something in that general area look for other folks? A real shooting range would be nice though.

Offline James B

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2004, 08:54:41 PM »
Since I am retired, I could probably swing it. North Dakota however is a long way from anywhere. Lets see what everyone else thinks.
shot placement is everything.

Offline GrampaMike

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2004, 05:32:37 AM »
leftoverdj

I tried to pm you, but I keep getting invalid_session when I try to send.

But I agree with you.

Mike
Grampa Mike
U.S. Army Retired

"Say what you mean, mean what you say"
Father of 2 GREAT sons, and 9 grandchildren.

Offline ScatterGunner

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2004, 06:05:43 AM »
this sounds like a good time, a great excuse to meet everyone and talk about guns.

i would plan it near some major city and airport, i usually fly anywhere outside of a 4 hour drive.

sg
there''s room for all of God''s fauna and flora, right on my dinner plate!

Offline JPH45

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2004, 12:10:29 PM »
In the midst of trying ot decide a where, we should probably think about a when too. I think anytime from mid July to mid september ought to work ok. What kind of time frame do you guys need to make your plans to be there?

Offline jeff223

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2004, 01:19:14 PM »
it would be fun to have a get together some where but i wont be able to swing it this year.my last vacation is in September and i am going to North Dakota on a bow hunt.my son and i have our "any deer" permits for North Dakota.we will be going after mule deer and prarrie goats on the  south western side of North Dakota near Montana.the only chance of seeing any of you would be me running into James B in Jamestown.we will be going right through there.

we are also planning on taking our 223s for yotes and prarrie dogs.we might go on a couple mid day hunts for these varmints.this trip should be 7 days of hunting fun. :)

Offline De41mag

• A Real Regular
    • De41mag@aol.com
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2004, 01:46:07 PM »
JPH45;

Sounds like a good idea and the range your thinking about is just west of Huntsville, about 20 miles. The name of the range is Swan Creek Shooting Range. they got a 25yd, a 50yd, and 2 100 yard ranges. All of them have benches for shooting and all but one of the 100 yd. ranges has a roof over them. Plus off to the side you can shoot clay pigeons also. And the range is less than 10 mi. off of I-65 very easy to find. If this is not a place where every one can agree on I'm open for wherever we can meet.
Dennis  :grin:

Offline De41mag

• A Real Regular
    • De41mag@aol.com
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2004, 01:55:39 PM »
RMTAYLOR;

Almost forgot to mention that if you come to Huntsville, I'll get you to the range no problem, I know the surrounding area in either direction so all you got to do is call. I be delighted to help a fellow Michigander. Used to Live there myself in a place they call Westland between Ford rd. and Michigan Ave, not 5 miles from the Wayne car and truck assembly Plant.

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2004, 03:05:03 PM »
I think various regional get togethers would probably work better for most of us. GA. is a bit of a drive for me, but if we did  NE, SE, NW, SW, get togethers, in central locations, I'd be into it. A 4 hour drive can encompass a big area, and I don't think that would be too far to drive.
Don

Offline ScatterGunner

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2004, 04:01:39 PM »
big blue -

that's a good idea - a regional thing.

maybe even just states to start out.

i think you are on to something.

sg
there''s room for all of God''s fauna and flora, right on my dinner plate!

Offline JPH45

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2004, 04:48:07 PM »
Seems a bit early in the disscussion to me to give up on the idea of a place at least most of us could get to reasonably. I'm gonna try to email Haywire, I have the suspicion that something in his genral area may be better suited for most of us. It would be a simple matter for folks who are within a few hours of eah other to hook up on the way to a single larger meet. At least as I see it now. Of course my hinddight is always better  :grin:

It does though sound as though there is a fair amount of interest, so I will continue to persue the idea.

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2004, 04:59:44 PM »
I know a place in Onieda Tenn where they do some cowboy action shootin, They have cabins to rent fully supplied just bring food and drinks, cheap too. He also has camping room and lotsa trails to ride four wheelers on if you would like to. Its about two hours due west of Bristol Tenn, just south of KY TENN boarder. Not sure but they probably have someplace to shoot longer range than pistol stuff I'd hafta ask. I am game for something like this just about anywhere 5 or 6 hours from me, I'm right on I 75 bout right in the middle of Ky and there are gun clubs and ranges all over KY. :D
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline JPH45

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2004, 05:50:08 PM »
Badnews Bob, would ya be willing to find out a bit more info on that place and maybe one of those in KY you refer to and post it for us? If there is anything I can do to help you do that let me know.

Offline bubba

• Trade Count: (62)
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2004, 12:14:30 AM »
Sounds fun, but, from Northern NY I think it might be more than I want to taclke, olus would need lots of time to arrange it,but if I can I just might.
”A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.”

Molon Labe

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2004, 02:14:26 AM »
Sounds like a good time, I would like to get in on it.  I think trying to put something together for this summer may be a stretch though.  At this point in the year I think a lot of folks have already made plans for their summer vacations for this year.   Maybe we should just start making plans now for a meet to take place next summer (2005).   If I'm not mistaken I think the majority of the board members live east of the Mississippi.  Someplace in Tennessee or Kentucky would be central to any of us east of the Mississippi.  Maybe plan two meets one east of the Miss and one west of the Miss.  

just my  :money:, that and $1.22 might get you a small cup of coffee.  :wink:

Brett
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline hellacatcher

• A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2004, 05:06:19 PM »
I would think if it could be done this sumner would be the time even if some could not make it (I do not know if I could make one ) that way the bugs could be worked out for the future. Just a thought. :-)
from Tennessee---Paul

Offline nightstalker

meeting
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2004, 03:04:10 PM »
I just went to the Knob Creek shoot a couple of weeks ago and they have an exellent range and also have camping facilities.  If anybody out there lives close to it maybe you could check it out. It is right down the road from Ft. Knox KY.