Author Topic: A Ruger Wish...  (Read 686 times)

Offline Old No7

• Trade Count: (0)
A Ruger Wish...
« on: April 15, 2004, 04:13:13 PM »
Originally posted this on the Ruger forum, then decided it might prompt some comments here too...

= = =

Interesting requests on the prior "wish" post...

As a Ruger "Old Army" fan, my wish is for a "New Navy" -- a 5-shot .36 cal blackpowder cap 'n ball revolver of the Old Army style, but built on the smaller Single Six frame.  In stainless steel, with adjustable sights, of course.

What do I need it for???

Well, "need" has very little to do with it, but I think it'd be a fun gun for plinking at the range or carrying on my belt in the woods.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment...  One cannot exist without the other."  © 2000 DTH

Offline Jack Crevalle

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
A Ruger Wish...
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2004, 01:11:22 AM »
I was thinking I'd like to see them go the other way, a .50 cal version. It would be better if they kept it a 6-shot though even though they might be able to use the same frame and make it a 5-shot.

Offline R.M.

50 cal.
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2004, 04:43:55 AM »
You know, they could take their .480 barrel, mount it on the Old Army frame, and use 50 cal (.490/.495) rifle balls.
Sounds like a plan to me.

R.M.
The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

Offline Gatofeo

• Contributor
A Ruger Wish...
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2004, 11:44:21 AM »
I'd like to see Ruger make a .36 in the smaller frame. But drop the Patridge style sights. They look out of place on a cap and ball, even if it's a modern cap and ball.
Rather, I'd like to see Ruger develop a small, unobtrusive adjustable sight with a U in the rear and an iron bead on the front.
I'd also like to see Ruger make the same, smaller frame in .31 caliber. This would be great for grouse, rabbits, chukar, etc.
Make it with both 4 and 7-1/2 inch barrels, in .36 and .31 caliber. The 4-incher would be a good pocket pistol in the woods, the 7-1/2" would be great on the range and for overall use.
"A hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .44."

Offline bigbore442001

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
    • Bigbore's Outdoors.
A Ruger Wish...
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2004, 01:47:44 PM »
I too would like to see Ruger make a C&B revolver in a smaller caliber. It would be a fun small game gun. I wonder why Ruger never thought of it. Or maybe they think there isn't a big enough market for such a gun. I do see an empty void in a good, solid frame revolver in this catagory with good adjustable sights.

Offline Jack Crevalle

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
A Ruger Wish...
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2004, 01:00:20 AM »
Hmm, that kind of makes your handle an oxymoron doesn't it?

Offline bigbore442001

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
    • Bigbore's Outdoors.
A Ruger Wish...
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2004, 01:42:35 PM »
I have been known to be a bundle of contradiction. I love shooting and hunting with big bores, but I also love shooting the 22's as well. I am an unabashed fan of the 22 Hornet in the TC. Love that gun,