Author Topic: here's one for you...  (Read 436 times)

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
here's one for you...
« on: April 25, 2004, 03:58:41 PM »
i have a lee mold for a 310 grain rnfp.  and i have a bunch dad and i cast up together and we sized to .429; and loaded without gas checks.  out of my contender hotshot barrel these are so accurate it isnt even funny.  out of my sbhh; it leaves some to be desired.  now i recently got the lyman master caster kit and ordered a .430 die with it.  i havent had a chance to load any of these up as i have been playing with casting (trying to get the bugs out) and think i have gotten to make a good bullet with sharp, crisp edges.   keep in  mind that i havent used gas checks because i want to get by as cheap as i can.   because accuracy has room for improvement  i got to thinking  that maybe gas checks would increase my accuracy.  but i got to thinking (again) that these same loads are unbeliveably accurate out of my contender.  so i guess i am thinking that maybe the .429 size was a bit too small.   what do you guys think?  am i on track or barking up the wrong tree?

Offline West Creek Charlie

• Trade Count: (0)
    • http://www.colescountyregulators.homestead.com/
here's one for you...
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2004, 03:58:29 AM »
Yep - yer one the right track - ya probably need a larger bullet for the SBHH - my first run hunter has .432 throats. Measure your throats and then fit the bullet to them and you'll find a winner
Most men wil blink an eye or take a breath before pulling the trigger, I won;t

Offline Chargar

• Trade Count: (0)
Apples and Oranges
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2004, 04:22:21 AM »
You Contenter and your SBH are apples and oranges when it comes to cast bullet needs. For all intents and purposes your Contender follows rifle rule and you Ruger follows sixgun rules.

In Sixguns rules, the diameter of your bullet is determined by the diameter of your cylinder throats. For best result, the bullet needs to be the same diamter of the cylinder throats or .001 or so larger. The bullet can be .001 or so smaller is the pressure of the load is sufficient to cause the base of the bullet to expand the seal the cylinder throats and the barrel.

Were I you, I would size my bullets as large as I can and if a round loaded with one of these bullets will fit in the cylinder, then that is the diamter I would shoot them.

Bullet with a gas check shank most often work best with a gas check attatched.