Author Topic: New truck gun  (Read 1148 times)

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
New truck gun
« on: April 23, 2004, 04:07:03 PM »
I've had all sorts of plans for a pardner receiver I have but I fear only one of them will come true in the near future. I plan on making a truck/walkin round in the woods gun.

My plan is pretty simple. I'm gonna send the receiver back for a 22" 12ga barrel with mod choke and throw on a synthetic stock set. I've got a tru-glo bead in my stuff somewhere that will find it's way on as well. I figure the lighter weight of the shorter barrel will work well to balance the lighter synthetic stock. Should also work pretty well for the cheap slugs.
What do ya'll think? I can't come up with a better combo than this for a truck gun.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline VarmintController

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
New truck gun
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2004, 12:40:55 AM »
in my pick-up lives a pardner 12ga with a mod 28 inch barrel, the shell holder on it carrys 3 rounds of #6, and 2 rounds on 3 inch mag 00 buck. now as you all know its no long range gun, but boy she does grouse, sqill, coyote, groundhogs, well heck just about everything in the state of maine could be killed with it. i also have a 5 round box with 1 slug 2 more 00, and 2 more #6 in the center console. its just the cheap old pardner 12ga i have had just about forever, and yes she shows the years, but it always goes BOOM. now for deer season i put my 30-06 in whatever i am driving that day. no 12ga during deer season for me. but of course one would work just fine for close range. as far as the 22inch barrel goes, that would be a plus. but for what it sounds like you want is a 12 survivor would work some good. already in syn stock, and the short barrel.  i am going to be putting my chopped pardner in the conversion van my wife drives most of the time, i pulled the scope off, and went back to a bead sight, and with a 20 inch cyl barrel she will throw bird shoot good at 20 yrds or so, and puts slugs out there pretty good , and has a nice short barrel. but i wish it was a mod 22 inch. but it will make a good camp gun, and i would hate to be the coon thats comes around if i am awake. :biggun:  :biggun:  :biggun:  goodnight mr coon :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:
The Proud Owner Of AMERICAN Made Guns!

Offline Markus

• Moderators
New truck gun
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2004, 08:32:53 AM »
I had considered a survivor but I just can't get over the ugliness of that stock. It would be practical but there's more to life than that. The receiver has been prtty much unemployed for a while since the lug came off the barrel and it has been held on with electric tape for the last few years. I cant beat around my topper deluxe anymore since it now wears the beautiful laminate stocks you sold me. They look and function great by the way.

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

• Avid Poster
New truck gun
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2004, 09:49:13 AM »
now i got to say my good man, i hate the survivor stock myself, but for some reason people seem to like them. and to each thier own. and NO you cant beat up those lam stocks!!!!!! or i might have to drive down and beat you up. LOL well i am glad you like them. i guess sending for a new barrel would be your best bet. now the syn stocks i will disagree with, but to each there own. i like the lighter gun, until i have to put a stiff load through it. they take all the weight away just about. now i only had one pardner with syn stocks on it, but i would not do it again. can i ask why you would want new ones?? if you got a broken one or something let me know, i think i could help out a bit. of course i can see one good point to a survivor stock, you could bolt a nice saddle mount right on the side of the stock, and have 6 very close and handy rounds of ammo. maybe i want one on my truck gun now. see what you did, you got me thinking again. now i am going to go and do something that will piss my wife off. :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:

Offline Markus

• Moderators
New truck gun
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2004, 03:14:41 PM »
I just want to put the synthetic stocks on for durability and weight reduction purposes. Nothing wrong with the stock thats on it really (hope my wife don't read this) except the fact that it get's a new scratch or ding every time I toss it in the truck. Thanks for the offer of help if it was broken. I don't mind the recoil as this gun wont get shot that much but probably get carried alot. I'm a pretty big boy as well.

• Avid Poster
New truck gun
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2004, 12:49:46 AM »
markus<----- thats fine if you want to add them so you can beat it more. i just did not want you to buy a set if you had a broken/cracked stock because i think i got a spare around i could have sent you. but it sounds like you just want to get beat up by a lighter NEF, and thats just fine with me :eek:  :eek:  :eek:   i guess a could see doing that with a 20ga 22 inch barrel. that would make a very light weight camp/carry/truck gun. now i could see that one myself :)  :)  :)  :)  but no 4.5lb 12ga.s for me. that topper deluxe you got, is that the classic with the vent rib??? i just ordered one of those, they are much cheaper then i thought they would be, and it will be a good clay killer i hope. i have never owned a gun to keep nice, and use just on the clay range before, but that new classic will be a good one for that. now my dealer says it will be close to a month before i will get it, but i can wait. i hated the look of them at first, that bright reciever just turned me right off, but after some thought, and finding out i could get one for $149.95+ tax, and i just could not say no to it for a clay killer. of course if i keep buying guns, i am going to have to clean out the "closet" a bit. i think i am out of room now. wow i guess i got rambling there.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
New truck gun
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2004, 04:05:05 PM »
the topper deluxe I have is not the classic. The only things that make it differ from the regular topper are the 3 1/2" chamber , choke tubes and recoil pad. I efineitely have my eye on the new deluxe classic. I need it like a hole in the head but want it bad. Let me know what you think when you get yours.

Offline scruffy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
New truck gun
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2004, 04:36:18 AM »
Hey, the gun you suggest, 12 gauge Pardner, synthetic stocks, truglo front sight is exactly what I have, except with one difference, I have the 28" mod barrel, and you want the 22" barrel (see topic "pardner goes plastic").  If you plan to do more walking than shooting I believe lighter it the way to go.  Plus I like the durability of the synthetics like you mentioned.

As far as recoil, three years ago I beet myself up shooing 5 rounds of 3.5" mags turkey loads through my 870 supermag turkey gun checking the scope zero and pattern.  I almost couldn't shoot all five shots because of the recoil and afterwards walked away holding my shoulder, it felt barely attached.  Two years ago, one year later, a coyote came in to fight with one of my dogs.  I jumped out on the deck and fired off 3 3.5" mags as fast as I could, reloaded, fired 2 more, flew down the stairs, ran out to where the coyote layed, reloading as I went, and checked on the condition of the offending coyote.

My shoulder didn't hurt for a good hour after that!  :eek: And even then, not that much.  Adrenalin, gotta love it!  :wink:

Now I doubt I'll be ripping off 5 3" mags through my light weight pardner, I'd grab my heavier 870 supermag if I needed to do that.  But if I planned on making one well placed shot, walking long distances, and possibly holding the gun up for a long time waiting for the deer to turn or the turkey to raise his head, I'd grab the 5+lb pardner in a heartbeat.  And the sythetic stocks with recoil pad and shell holder with 5 shells weighs just a smidge lighter than a factory wood pardner without recoil pad or shell holder.  I think my wood 28" mod pardner weighed in close to 6lbs.  Now it probably weighs around 5.5lbs, and has 5 rounds inches from it's chamber ready to go!

On the truglo sight installation, it's probably a good idea to file the screw down a bit so it doesn't protrude down into the choke.  I had to file a 1/16" off.

Also, when I installed the synthetic stocks they came with sling rings and I installed a 1" nylon sling.

But it's all personal preference.  I prefer the shotgun beating me up breifly when I'm full adrenalin and pulling the trigger and won't feel a thing rather than it wearing me down for hours as I'm carrying/packing it, holding it up for multiple minutes waiting for the perfect shot, etc.

And really, people shoot 3.5" mags through them when they weigh 6lbs, a 3" mag, or 2 3/4" field load, out a 5.5lb gun can't kick harder than that, can it?

edit: when I take it out shooting clays all day, I'll drop a home made weight in the stock, sand bag or something, to get it up around 7lbs.

later,
scruffy
Hunting is 99% brain, 1% gun