Author Topic: Walnlut Stocks Anyone??  (Read 1510 times)

Offline Big Paulie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Walnlut Stocks Anyone??
« on: April 28, 2004, 12:16:26 PM »
I know that this is an insane question given the inexpensive nature of the Handi-Rifles, but has anyone heard of anybody making or selling walnut stocks for these guns?

I like the concept of these rifles, and everyone says that they shoot great, but when I pick them up, that stained birch(?) hardwood stock is like scratching fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

I realize that the cost of the walnut stocks may be as much or as more as the rifle itself, but you've got to admit it would be one fine looking rifle with walnut, expecially if the grip were thinned down a little.

Does anyone have any insight, information or attempts on this?

Thanks, Big Paulie

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
Walnlut Stocks Anyone??
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2004, 12:34:03 PM »
There have been some custom stocks made from time to time.  I have no other info but that.  Most are happy with the laminated stocks.

Ya never know, make one for yourself and see if others like them.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline Mitch in MI

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.sportsmenforkerryedwards.com/
Re: Walnlut Stocks Anyone??
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2004, 12:38:38 PM »
Somebody paid Wenig to make a pattern for our actions last year, I believe it was a thumbhole.
Now that they have the pattern, they can make that stock in any wood quite easily, and it may be possible for them to make a more traditional stock if you wish.
http://www.wenig.com/

You might want to take a look at the Buffalo Classic at http://www.hr1871.com and see if you like the wood on that. Extra BC stocks are available from H&R.

Mitch

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
Walnlut Stocks Anyone??
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2004, 12:48:27 PM »
Big Paulie,
  I know what your talking about, the first H+R/NEF rifle I saw, screamed cheap, and I thought it was really ugly. Now, I own six of them and love the rifles and their looks. Like drinking scotch, they are truly an acquired taste. The BC does have a nice walnut stock, but the laminate stocks are a close second.
Don

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
Walnlut Stocks Anyone??
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2004, 01:38:31 PM »
You can buy the Buffalo Classic stock set from NEF for around $95.  That is checkered and all, ready to bolt onto you gun.

-WH-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
Walnlut Stocks Anyone??
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2004, 05:15:06 PM »
Big Paulie...

I'd just go with the cinnamon or camo laminate stocks and be done with it.  They are relatively inexpensive and make the gun look a whole hell of a lot better looking.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline BIGBOREFAN

• A Real Regular
Walnlut Stocks Anyone??
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2004, 01:52:51 AM »
I'm going to be ordering the Walnut stock and forearm that they are putting on the new Topper Deluxe as soon as they get them on the accessory program.

BBF
LETS GO STEELER'S. BIG BEN JUST KEEPS ON TICKEN. STEELER'S IN JACKSONVILLE THIS YEAR!

Offline olredhead

Walnlut Stocks Anyone??
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2004, 03:28:25 AM »
Paulie I'm glad to hear someone else is interested in dressin up these guns. Posted a thread before about customizing or custom stocks but got no response.
Now that I've got my 223 shootin good won't do anything till after hunting season is over but you can bet in Jan. the stock is gonna come off for a little slimmin and shaping and a good hand finish.
I've got a slab of crotch walnut that's drying, may try my hand at
cuttin one out.
As easy as they are to change, don't know why you couldn't have something real nice for the range and to show off and a utility stock to bang around in the brush with.
If you come up with any info please post it.  Thanks

Offline Big Paulie

• Contributor
Walnlut Stocks Anyone??
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2004, 05:08:15 AM »
Thanks for all of the great information guys.  It looks like the cheapest place to start is the walnut stock on the buffalo classic.

I also like the walnut stock on the topper delux (because of the relatively high comb), but I wonder if the forestock would have an enormous barrel channel cut in it, since is holds a 12 gauge shotgun barrel?   This might not work out to well on a rifle barrel.

I would honestly rather have a handi rifle with a nice walnut stock than a Ruger No. 1.

Best Regards,

Big Paulie.

Offline GrampaMike

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
Walnlut Stocks Anyone??
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2004, 10:48:30 AM »
Hey Big Paulie, I agree with you about the PLAIN stocks.  Someone on this forum (forgot who) gave me the same advice about laminate stock sets from H&R.  I got a set and put them on my Synthetic 44 Mag, nice looking little rifle now.  Mike
Grampa Mike
U.S. Army Retired

"Say what you mean, mean what you say"
Father of 2 GREAT sons, and 9 grandchildren.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Walnlut Stocks Anyone??
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2004, 11:26:13 AM »
GrampaMike:

I could have been me...That's what I did with my 308 Survivor...I think it turned out kinda of nice...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Moonlitin

• Avid Poster
Laminate Stocks
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2004, 12:21:49 PM »
Mac11700, your 308 Survivor looks great.  My son didn't like the "plastic stocks" that our Sportsters came with, so we replaced them with a couple sets of laminate stocks.  Here's a picture of my Sportster 17hmr:

And here's one of my son's Sportster 22LR:

Olredhead, if you're looking for a stock to "bang around in the brush with", the synthetic stock is probably the way to go.

Moonlitin

Offline GrampaMike

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
Walnlut Stocks Anyone??
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2004, 03:24:54 PM »
Yes it was Mac.  I remember the photo.  Great 308.

Moonlitin, your stocks are checkered, mine were not.  I did not see the checkered model in the parts catalog.  Maybe I have a old catalog.

Mike
Grampa Mike
U.S. Army Retired

"Say what you mean, mean what you say"
Father of 2 GREAT sons, and 9 grandchildren.

Offline Moonlitin

• Avid Poster
Checkered Stocks
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2004, 03:33:58 PM »
The checkered stocks were not in my catalog either.  When I called NEF to order my laminate stocks, the woman I spoke with on the phone asked me "do you want the ckeckered ones or the non-checkered ones?".  My response..."well, um, I didn't know I had that option...checkered I guess".  I'm glad I did it now.  It did make them a little more espensive though.

Moonlitin

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
Walnlut Stocks Anyone??
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2004, 01:04:11 PM »
Moonlitin,
  I have the checkered laminate on my .243 and .223 Ultra, but my 7mm-08 had come with uncheckered laminate, and it's really nice to. Can't go too much wrong with either.
Don

Offline Paul5388

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Walnlut Stocks Anyone??
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2004, 08:18:32 PM »
Big Paulie,

Here is my .357 barrel on a 12 gauge frame and forearm.  The barrel channel wasn't  big enough and I had to relieve more material to get it to float.  A normal barrel would probably fit just right.