Author Topic: Movies, balnks, and how do they work?  (Read 456 times)

Offline unspellable

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Movies, balnks, and how do they work?
« on: April 28, 2004, 07:43:35 AM »
In the movies we see them burn off a lot of blanks.  No trick in a revolver, but how do they get a semi-auto to work with them?  I have heard that the pistol is modified for use with blanks.

Offline jhm

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2004, 01:42:49 PM »
Unspellable :  Read a article a few years ago that stated blanks were hardly ever used in the movies anymore, they claimed that the weapons now have a small butane or some type of gas cylender built into them and the igniter was like a glow plug, dont remember which gun magazine had the article but I thought it was interesting, someone here will probably have more detailed info, before long. :D    JIM

Offline Questor

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2004, 03:40:13 PM »
They're propane powered. While watching a movie, sometimes blanks are used, and they will be shown ejecting brass. The propane guns don't eject brass.  Blanks are actually louder than real ammo, so they are seldom used.
Safety first

Offline Duffy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2004, 07:00:57 PM »
Don't know about the movies but on rifles used for salutes there is a adaptor that fits on the bbl to increase the gas pressure to the port to operate the action, eg. M1's  used in funeral services. Some of them are modified, (ports enlarged) and are used solely for this purpose.

Offline unspellable

• A Real Regular
operation with blanks
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2004, 01:34:24 AM »
On a gas operated or blow back operated firearm it would be possible to put some sort of restriction in the barrel to build up enough pressure with blanks to cycle the action.  This would also cut the noise down some.  Not so with a recoil operated firearm.  We see a lot of recoil operated pistols in which the action cycles and they eject brass.  I presume the pistol must be modified.  I'm familiar with the use of gas and a spark plug for full auto weapons.  Some of the movie weapons look very realistic, they must be spending a few coins on them.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2004, 03:30:48 AM »
Hmmmmmmmmmmm, propane gas and a spark plug - sounds like a formula for a semi auto potato cannon (LOL).  Mikey.