Author Topic: help need a gun with a high capasity clip.  (Read 504 times)

Offline The deerslayer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
help need a gun with a high capasity clip.
« on: April 19, 2004, 03:58:44 PM »
Can anyone help me with this? I need a gun with a high capasity clip.

Offline jem375

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2004, 06:45:57 PM »
.......be a little more specific on what caliber you are talking about and what you are looking for...........and you probably mean magazines not clips................
life is too short to spend it with an ugly gun....

Offline PeterF.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2004, 04:39:09 AM »
No disrespect meant, Fred, but it seems to me that: 1) you don't know very much about the subject; and 2) you haven't even talked to anyone much about this (like a guy in a gun store).  Which leads me to wonder why you think you need "a gun with a large capasity clip".  In any case, toward answering your question, here's a few facts.  Under the 1989 Federal Gun Control Act, most civilian-owned guns produced and sold thereafter were limited to a magazine capacity of no more than 10.  This is known colloquially as "The Ban".  Guns produced and sold BEFORE the ban were "grandfathered" as OK.  Thus you'll see ads for "Pre-Ban" guns (which mean they have a large capacity), and "Post-Ban" guns (which don't).  Pre-Ban guns are generally more desirable and, therefore, if & when you find them, more expensive.  Bear in mind that many states and localities have their own laws about these things; so that, even if you legally own a Pre-Ban gun (under Federal law), it still might be outlawed in certain areas.  Also, depending on where you are, you may need an appropriate license (for instance, in Massacusetts, there are separate licenses for carrying regular-capacity and high-capacity guns ... and you need some sort of license to carry ANYthing.  In certain cities, such as New york and DC, it's almost impossible to get a license). Anyway, if you want to look around at what's available, go to www.gunsamerica.com and poke around under the major manfacturers (for handguns, Smith & Wesson, Glock, Sig, Beretta, Ruger, Walther, etc.; in rifles, Colt, Armarlite, Bushmaster, and AR clones). You can even do searches, in which you could use "Pre-Ban" as your search "key word".  You should know, however, that, just because a gun is shown for sale on the web, YOU may not be able to buy it. If it's out-of-state, you'll need to have it shipped to a licensed dealer in your local area ... and they'll want to see your appropriate local license (if required).  A good place to start is to find a local gun store and talk to the people behind the counter.  They'll be very knowledgeable about the quirks of local gun laws and licensing ... as well as local gun clubs and shooting classes. By the way, in general, if you can't hit what you're shooting at with 10 shots (the Post-Ban limit), maybe having a "high capasity" gun isn't the best idea.  Better to learn with to shoot accurately than to rely on the "spray and pray" technique.

Offline securitysix

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2004, 06:19:29 AM »
Quote from: PeterF.
No disrespect meant, Fred, but it seems to me that: 1) you don't know very much about the subject; and 2) you haven't even talked to anyone much about this (like a guy in a gun store).  Which leads me to wonder why you think you need "a gun with a large capasity clip".  In any case, toward answering your question, here's a few facts.  Under the 1989 Federal Gun Control Act, most civilian-owned guns produced and sold thereafter were limited to a magazine capacity of no more than 10.  This is known colloquially as "The Ban".  Guns produced and sold BEFORE the ban were "grandfathered" as OK.  Thus you'll see ads for "Pre-Ban" guns (which mean they have a large capacity), and "Post-Ban" guns (which don't).  Pre-Ban guns are generally more desirable and, therefore, if & when you find them, more expensive.  Bear in mind that many states and localities have their own laws about these things; so that, even if you legally own a Pre-Ban gun (under Federal law), it still might be outlawed in certain areas.  Also, depending on where you are, you may need an appropriate license (for instance, in Massacusetts, there are separate licenses for carrying regular-capacity and high-capacity guns ... and you need some sort of license to carry ANYthing.  In certain cities, such as New york and DC, it's almost impossible to get a license). Anyway, if you want to look around at what's available, go to www.gunsamerica.com and poke around under the major manfacturers (for handguns, Smith & Wesson, Glock, Sig, Beretta, Ruger, Walther, etc.; in rifles, Colt, Armarlite, Bushmaster, and AR clones). You can even do searches, in which you could use "Pre-Ban" as your search "key word".  You should know, however, that, just because a gun is shown for sale on the web, YOU may not be able to buy it. If it's out-of-state, you'll need to have it shipped to a licensed dealer in your local area ... and they'll want to see your appropriate local license (if required).  A good place to start is to find a local gun store and talk to the people behind the counter.  They'll be very knowledgeable about the quirks of local gun laws and licensing ... as well as local gun clubs and shooting classes. By the way, in general, if you can't hit what you're shooting at with 10 shots (the Post-Ban limit), maybe having a "high capasity" gun isn't the best idea.  Better to learn with to shoot accurately than to rely on the "spray and pray" technique.

Sounds like you're talking about the '94 AWB and confusing the name and date with the '89 import ban.  You describe the former but name the latter.  I hope that was accidental, and I mean no flame by it.  That said, the rest of what you say is quite agreeable in my opinion.

Fred, you've gotta give us more info.  Guns with standard capacity magazines are cool toys and have practical applications, but they're not all the same.  We need to know what you're going to do with it before we can help you properly.  Some info on your experience to date would be useful, too.  We're not trying to flame you, we just need more info to do the job right.

Offline PeterF.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2004, 11:00:28 AM »
Security6:  You're right; and, if I'm going to be telling someone "the facts",  I should have mine right.  Thanks for the correction.  Fred: He's right; it's the Assault Weapons Ban (of 94) that put the 10-shot limit on things.  All going well, it might "sunset" this August ... but that's another story.  However, it's in effect now. Peter F.

Offline securitysix

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2004, 04:57:40 AM »
So, I guess the guy who started this thread didn't really want a "gun with a high capasity clip."  I wonder if he was a troll looking for people to go "Oh, get a glock and one of those extended 30 round mags, you can really get to bustin' caps in people with that!"

I'm glad we have a better caliber (pun intended) of people than that here at GBO.