Author Topic: exploding chickens and the Max  (Read 1059 times)

Offline Haywire Haywood

• Trade Count: (2)
exploding chickens and the Max
« on: April 26, 2004, 10:26:50 PM »
What do you get when you take a 145gr Winchester Silvertip that is supposed to expand at 1200fps, load it to 2400fps, and then shoot a frozen chicken at about 10yds?  You get minimal penetration and chicken all over the yard.  :eek: :)  The next shot was a 180gr cast and it dug a nice canoe all the way through.

Ian

Kids that Hunt, Fish and Trap
Dont Steal, Deal, and Murder

usually...

Offline mag41vance

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2004, 12:25:52 AM »
I suppose the lead content is to high to eat that chicken now! :shock:
no x now!

Offline Deadeye47

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2004, 01:43:28 AM »
Yer makin me hungry Haywood! :roll:

p.s. I hope that picture wasn't taken with a flash at 3 A.M.!! Does momma know what your doin with her chickens? You just may be in trouble....
" I believe that forgiving them [terrorists] is God''s function. OUR JOB is to arrange the meeting." Gen. Schwartzkopf........AMEN  Norman  :agree:

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline 22KHornet

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2004, 09:02:36 AM »
4 weeks and counting since I sent my handi in for the 357 barrel.  Once I get it back I can get the reamer and blast away :grin: .  First thing that I want to try is how will the ammo I already have loaded perform in the handi compared to the handcannon.  I should have all of my mag ammo and about 3 different varieties of (test ammo) loaded and ready by the time it shows up.  Compare the lil'gun to win 296 to imr 4227 to see which one the handi likes the best.
I must be crazy.

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2004, 04:53:11 PM »
22khornet
Why not try the 360Dan Wesson first?  A lot of posters seem happy with it without having to ream.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline Paul5388

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2004, 07:38:26 PM »
22KHornet,

I just posted some velocities for the .360 DW on the .360 DW thread.  

Since I loaded the .357 Mag rounds long, the pressure with Blue Dot was way too low to produce good velocity.  I'll start working my way up on it in the next few loadings, even though I plan to only use .360 DW's in the Handi.  That makes it easier to keep a rifle load from being used in a revolver.

Offline Haywire Haywood

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2004, 10:27:04 PM »
If you do decide to ream, my suggestion is not to run the reamer all the way down on the first pass, but to load up a 200gr bullet down to the cannelure and ream slowly till it will chamber and then just a hair more.   I ran mine down to the stop and I have to load everything long to reach the lands.  Would be nice if my chamber were a touch shorter so I could crimp in the cannelure and not have lube grooves hanging out.

Ian

usually...

Offline 22KHornet

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2004, 03:52:00 AM »
While the 360 DW sounds interesting I am a huge 357max fan.  I already have a contender and a blackhawk in the max and to be honest this is the main reason I got into the handi idea in the first place.  I have already sent a pm to leftoverdj and should have the reamer in the next week or so.  

Haywire I may ask you some questions if you are willing.  This will be my first try at rechambering and to be honest I am not even sure what the reamer looks like :oops: .  Anyway another reason is the fact that I already have just short of 400 rounds of max ammo (some loaded some not).  

I am a little concerned on my barrel though.  I put it on the frame last night and boresighted it.  First of all the handguard doesnot fit just right with this barrel (I tried it on my 223 and it fits fine) second is that I had to set the rear site all of the way to the left and it still was a little off.  I will take it out and try to put it to paper at 50yds and see how it groups.
I must be crazy.

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2004, 04:18:06 AM »
Haywire, nice shooting!  What else have you used for targets???  Hmmm, I may have to clean out the chest freezer.  I know there has to be some meat in there that's past it's prime.  8)

Hornet, does it look like the rear sight is installed correctly or off center?  If it's off center (had a marlin like this once) the williams peap sight that screws into the rear scope mount hole will correct that problem (and probably be much more accurate).  When you get it set up let me know, I'd like to shoot it .  :wink:  I looked at a buffalo classic the last gun show with the williams on the rear, oh, I druelled all over the stock.  I may have to buy a 223 youth to get one with iron sights and then put the williams on the rear and a full butt stock for a ruff and tumble bad weather go anywhere coyote gun.

On the forearm, is it really tight to put on?  If the forearm screw lug is off center on either barrel, or a little left on one, a little right on the other, you might need to loosen the two small screws on the back of the forearm just a smidge and install the forearm.  This will let the plastic spacer on the back of the forearm slip to where it needs to be to not bind.  If this corrects the problem I'd call NEF and order the 357 it's own forearm and spacer.  Or if you like synthetic put a synthetic stock and forend on it.  The synthetic forend is much more forgiving of difference in the forend stud.

And how is it sighting the iron sights on the rifle with the monte carlo stock?  Can you get your eye down low enough easily?

And the most important question of all, when are you going to test your loads out of a chicken????  :wink:

later,
scruffy
Hunting is 99% brain, 1% gun

Offline 22KHornet

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2004, 04:31:07 AM »
I will try the set screw idea.  I ordered a new style forend with all this but I may take the old forend and use it for the 357 only, and yes I tried both.   I am going to have to think on the peep sight or do I just go ahead and put a scope on it.  I am leaning towards the scope because I am more accurate with a scope and I am really wanting to see how well it shoots.  So I will probably put a scope on it for now and add the peep sites later, oh yeah and a williams fire site if I can figure out wich one :grin:
I must be crazy.

Offline Haywire Haywood

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2004, 10:33:56 AM »
Bob and I plan on getting some watermelons or maybe cantelopes.  Since the cantelopes are basically hollow, I thought about using a big syringe to fill them with colored water... should make a better display that way.  We're gonna use a digital cam to film it and grab a frame or three to post showing the progression of things.  Those Silvertips really come apart at that speed.. should be a hoot.    :-)

22KHornet, the reamer is a self guiding cutter that you put on a T-Handle, wet with cutting fluid and just turn it by hand till it bottoms in your chamber.  It's designed to cut to a certain depth and you can't go beyond that.  I just wish it had been a little shorter or I had stopped a little sooner.   Oh well, hindsight is always 20/20 .  When I had it, it cut fast.  I was done in 15-20 minutes from start to finish and that included taking my ejector out and putting it back.

Ian

usually...