Author Topic: 357 before and after Chrono?  (Read 707 times)

Offline vick

• Trade Count: (0)
357 before and after Chrono?
« on: May 08, 2004, 12:51:19 PM »
Just curious, has anyone done some before max readings, and then after max?  I've been reading, and the velocity readings I've found so far are mostly out of 10"-14" contenders.  Not much out there for the handi's.  I know a lot of guys were doing the connersion to correct the long throat problem, but how much ballistic gain is being seen?
Fear is but a stepping stone on the foot path to Glory.

Offline JPH45

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2004, 01:47:32 PM »
I have no trouble getting 2060 fps from my Max uisng the Hornady XTP 180 and 26 grains of AA1680. The load is quite accurate too, it shoots into 1.25" on demand. Not bad considering that before the rechamber I couldn't get 5 shots of either 38 Special or 357 to stay on a paper plate at 50 yards. Manuals show the 357 Magnum pushing that bullet from a rifle barrel at about 1700-1750 fps or so. It is a substantial gain over the Magnum, and is for practical purposes the ballistic twin of the 30-30. With what I have seen and read, it is also a match for the 35 Remington when the Remington is fed factory loads. So far, 1875 fps is all I have been able to get from 200 grian jacketed bullets, but that is certainly a match for what he 35 Remington does with factory loads.
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2004, 09:22:15 PM »
JPH
The 35 Rem Marlin 336, I just sold easily got 2025fps from Rem factory 200gr loads.  Buffalo Bore ammo makes a 220gr loads that exceeds 2200fps for the 35.  While the 357Max might be a twin for the 30-30 it doesn't quite match the 35 Rem.

1875 for a 200 and 2200 for a 220gr, BIG difference there.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline JPH45

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2004, 01:06:36 PM »
No arguement from me Handirifle, but a few (on other BB's) have reported results using factory fodder that was not up to what you have seen. Perhaps there is a larger difference in factory ammo than might be supposed, I don't know. Personally, I have never thought the Max was a match for the 35 Rem., and had several good disagreements about that with members here some time ago. I then found this info from another poster elsewhere. Perhaps it is a good time for me to simply lay low and be quite.
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2004, 01:29:55 PM »
JPH
No argument from me, I read of quite a few that got less than advertised velocities from factory fodder.  Mine hit the nail on the head. Maybe just a fast barrel.  I sold it cause I only got it with the intention of making a 356 Win out of it but got talked out of it afterwards.  I wanted a good back-up to my '06 for ALL game and didn't think the 35 was quite up to it.  It is an impressive round at shorter ranges but I was looking for close to equal.  So I sold it and got an Ultra.  I'm seriously considering getting a 38-55 barrel and making a 375 JDJ from it IF I can get a straight scoop on bore dia vs bullet dia.

I think the JDJ would be a good comprimise between an '06 and a 45-70.  Better than 375 Win and equal or better in some respects to the '06.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline vick

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2004, 04:36:46 PM »
Thanks for the info guys.  That data eas exactly what I was looking for.  My rifle is a factory max, so it's not a matter of to convert or not.  I was wondering more about which way to go with my loads.  The max brass is a lot harder to come by than mag brass.

Offline Leftoverdj

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2004, 06:27:12 PM »
Brass ain't hard to come by. MidSouth around $30 for 250.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline marv

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2004, 06:51:34 PM »
Midway  has 357 Maxie brass $ 12.00 a 100 which is just about
same price as posted above, and you can get it in about two days,
Marv.

Offline vick

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2004, 07:56:13 PM »
"The max brass is a lot harder to come by than mag brass."

I should have put it a different way.  Mag brass is free.  All I have to do is go to the local range, wild life management area, and pick it up.  I also got four maxwell house coffe cans of 357 mag brass in a recent trade.  I have some max brass on order from a local shop for a little less than $8 per fifty.  
I have been looking around some of the reloading forums and some rifle forums scouring for load data.  I found several posted reports on velocity from mag lever actions with 16 and 20 inch barrels.  However, the only max data I could find was from either revolvers or contenders with 10-14 inch barrels.  Anyway, long story short, without hard chrono data specific to our NEF's, the numbers didn't look all that different.  I couldn't find anything but guesses as to max velosities from the longer barrels.  The thought was starting to creep into my head that, if I loaded my mag brass right, the max would be redundant.  I know, sometimes I get the strangest ideas.  However, JHP45's velocities are better than I had hoped.  So I guess I'll give the max a go.