Author Topic: DA/SA ??  (Read 866 times)

Offline ihuntbucks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • A Real Regular
DA/SA ??
« on: April 27, 2004, 10:15:03 PM »
I know this is probably a very "dumb" question,but if you don't know you have to ask :lol: I know the difference in single action and double actions,but what are the advantages and disadvanges of both?What do you look for in chooseing which one you would rather have?Thanks for your time......Rick
"Traveling East" F&AM #261  RAM #105  R&SM #69  KT #23 "Live for nothing;die for something"

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
DA/SA ??
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2004, 12:43:37 AM »
I can't answer for everone, but just my own thoughts.
I can't see any advantage of a single action that is not available in a double action, and, conversely, I can't see the advantage of no option.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline unspellable

• A Real Regular
SA vs DA
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2004, 01:35:04 AM »
You will note the difference in the shape of the grip on the typical SA vs DA.  Under recoil the SA will tend to roll up, the DA tends to come closer to straight back.  This makes a personal preference difference to some.

The different grip shapes will fit different hands.  I find that I can shoot more accurately with a DA and I think this is due mostly to the grip shape.  So I personally favor the DA even though 98-44/100% of my shooting is in SA mode.

Deciding the above two factors requires a little shooting with both.

The SA generally has a solid frame and eliminates problems with crane fit, generally costs a bit less.  It can handle rimless cartridges without the use of half moon clips.  A revolver with two different cylinders fitted for two different cartrdiges is generally more available in the SA.  (I have two SA Rugers with dual cylinders and one DA S&W with dual cylinders, but that's hard to find in a S&W.

Some like the SA for reasons of nostalgia and the "frontier" days.  The looks of one vs the other are pretty much in the eye of the beholder.

For social purposes I'd stick strictly to the DA.  (You don't have to remember to cock it when under stress.)  For plinking and field use it's pretty much take your pick.

Offline Savage

DA/SA ??
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2004, 05:59:25 AM »
If you are referring to autos and not revolvers-------------. The SA auto has a consistent trigger pull from shot to shot. The hammer must be manually cocked for the first shot, by thumb cocking, or by racking the slide. The traditional DA auto cocks the hammer with the first trigger stroke, and there after the hammer is cocked by the slide,  all subsequent shots are SA. Some find the transition from DA to SA pull troublesome, some don't. A True DAO has the same trigger cocking action with each pull of the trigger. Then you have the Glocks and XDs that are somewhere in between. The striker is partially cocked by the action of the slide. The trigger pull is consistent from shot to shot with this system as well. Not a good as a SA, but better than the traditional DA. You can learn to live with any or all of the above. Just a matter of preference. I use them all in different applications.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline 454-hunter

double preferred
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2004, 01:20:43 PM »
Well to reiterate on what was said earlier a DA will go more straight back and some perfer this due to the fact that a SA for example 454 casull freedom arms if shoot with heavy loads will rock and rotate driving the hammer into the web of your hand. some people dont have this difficulty.I prefer a DA because I have a very large hand and long fingers and I like a revolver that will fill up my hand and allow me to get a secure grip on the gun. I bought a RB last year in 454 casull and find that the grips on it have to be one of the finest nad most comfortable I have ever used.A friend of mine has a single action in ruger 44-mag redhawk and it extremely uncomfortable.I will say that when hunting if that is your prefered use as is mine 99.9 % of my shooting is done in the single action mode.I say that a big advantage also to DA is the faact that you can reload the gun twice as fast as you can a SA as SA's you have to reload one at a time and DA kick all out at a time and reloading is done with the cylinder kicked open.as oppassed to SA as they are done by ejecting one case at a time though the side door and loading a fresh cartridge in  .Good luck .

Offline TScottO

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
DA/SA ??
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2004, 02:33:44 PM »
As already mentioned the ergonomics of the guns are different. Single actions handle recoil better for most people. Most people seem to shoot DAs more accurately. DAs are faster to manipulate in a stressful situation if need be. Single actions are generally stronger in construction and have less moving parts to wear out. I think the key here is to own as many of each as you can. Then you have the benefits of both.

Be Safe,
Scott

Offline Questor

DA/SA ??
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2004, 04:30:40 AM »
The most important thing is that people seem to prefer either one or the other, and that you should get the one you like.
Safety first

Offline williamlayton

DA/SA ??
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2004, 08:35:18 AM »
I guess that makes me BI cause I can have fun with both. :oops:  :grin:
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline ihuntbucks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • A Real Regular
DA/SA ??
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2004, 09:59:12 PM »
william........."Honest confession is good for the sole." :lol: Rick
"Traveling East" F&AM #261  RAM #105  R&SM #69  KT #23 "Live for nothing;die for something"

Offline securitysix

• A Real Regular
DA/SA ??
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2004, 04:49:21 AM »
Quote from: Savage
If you are referring to autos and not revolvers-------------. The SA auto has a consistent trigger pull from shot to shot. The hammer must be manually cocked for the first shot, by thumb cocking, or by racking the slide. The traditional DA auto cocks the hammer with the first trigger stroke, and there after the hammer is cocked by the slide,  all subsequent shots are SA. Some find the transition from DA to SA pull troublesome, some don't. A True DAO has the same trigger cocking action with each pull of the trigger. Then you have the Glocks and XDs that are somewhere in between. The striker is partially cocked by the action of the slide. The trigger pull is consistent from shot to shot with this system as well. Not a good as a SA, but better than the traditional DA. You can learn to live with any or all of the above. Just a matter of preference. I use them all in different applications.
Savage

I've always found the term "Double-Action Only" a bit....I'm having trouble finding the right word here.....stupid.  A Single Action can ONLY be fired one way, a Double Action can be fired two.  A "DAO" pistol can only be fired one way, with a long trigger pull usually associated with Double Action revolvers.  By technical definition, "DAO" is actually a Single Action.

Offline unspellable

• A Real Regular
DA vs SA vs ???
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2004, 10:08:13 AM »
The correct terms are "single action", "double action" and "self cocking".  Good luck trying to get anybody to use them correctly.  While you're at it, see if you can get anyone to quit calling the recoil spring the "main spring".  (The main spring makes it go bang.  The recoil spring returns the slide to battery.)  Then you can start working on bore, caliber, and groove diameter.