Author Topic: Scope or Red Dot For A S&W 500???  (Read 1889 times)

Offline Drop it with a .50 cal

• Trade Count: (0)
Scope or Red Dot For A S&W 500???
« on: April 28, 2004, 06:30:19 PM »
Just Got my smith and wesson 500 and was wondering what would be a good scope to put on it???  I do a lot of deer hunting in Iowa mostly from a tree stand but also do some pushing.  What is going to do me the best job a red dot or a scope??? thanks

Offline Drop it with a .50 cal

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2004, 05:59:36 AM »
I was also thinking of a red dot.  Bushnell holo sight or leupold/gilmore should be able to with stand the recoil shouldn't they???

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2004, 09:21:40 AM »
I had a S&W500 with a Ultra dot on it. I shot it over 600 times and did not have a problem. I sold my S&W500 and put the Ultra dot on my BFR in 500MAG and I have shot it about the same. I use 440 gr. heavy loads. The Ultra dot now has over 1200 rounds of the mighty 500MAG and not one problem. IMO I would try the Ultra dot.  :grin:
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline RANGER RICK

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2004, 02:33:27 PM »
Hey diwa50cal

I have the PC Hunter 500 . I had the 4x28mm leupold scope mounted on it . It is great at 100 yards . I shoot mostly 575gr WFNGC heavy loads with no problems with the scope at all . Just get a good one .

RR
PRACTICE DOES NOT MAKE PERFECT !!! PERFECT PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT !!!!!
HOME OF THE FAMOUS TRYANNOSAURUS THUMPERS !!!!!!!

Offline redhawk44

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2004, 02:17:22 AM »
As someone else said, if your shooting is going to be close, the dot is hard to beat.  But if your shooting is out to 100 yds, and, I would add, if the light conditions are not good, then I would use a scope.  Probably a 3 power.  The more powerful scopes are for varmint hunting.

I have used the dot sight on handguns and on a shotgun for deer hunting and found it unsatisfactory because the dot tends to obscure the target when ambient light is low and that is when you are most likely to be shooting your deer.
8) RedHawk

Offline Jerry

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2004, 06:44:08 PM »
I've used scopes from Leupold, Burriss, Nikon, and Redfield, they are all fine scopes, but I switched to an Ultra-Dot red dot sight about 10yrs. ago and will never go back to scopes.
I've killed deer from 10yds. to 100yds. with the red dot, when it's low light turn the brightness knob down, you won't get that glare.
I have one on my 500 S&W Magnum and took two deer last year.
I placed a 4gal. pail at a laser range finder measured 130yds. and drilled it dead center with my 500 (standing off hand) you can't beat the red dot.