Author Topic: $200 for non-resident deer tag in ND!  (Read 599 times)

Offline AZ Dan

• Trade Count: (0)
$200 for non-resident deer tag in ND!
« on: May 09, 2004, 08:12:46 PM »
Just venting on this one.  What's the deal?  If they don't want me hunting in their state then don't offer a non-resident tag.  I guess it doesn't matter that I lived their for 26 years.  It doesn't matter that I go with 5 to 10 residents that are friends and family.  Throw in a $400 plane ticket.  Why not fill all of the residents tags first and then the non-residents after that?  That's all a resident could ever ask for is first crack at it.  If it's about the money, it's not fair to the resident.  Game and Fish could fill all of the non-residents first and get $200 per deer tag instead of $50 which might deny a resident of getting their tag.  

I would much rather see the regulations say "non-residents keep out."  This way it would make the decision process alot easier.  Dan.

Offline huntsman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2004, 02:29:07 AM »
AZ,

Sorry to say this, but get in line if you want to complain about NR tag prices. Just about every state I have ever wanted to hunt NR has a "rich man's" tag fee, when residents get to hunt for cheap. It's just a system to keep the number of NR hunters down so the residents don't get up in arms, and it's also about $. Guess they figure if you're shelling out $ for a plane ticket and a place to hunt (maybe), then you must be rich enough to shell out some more $ for their coffers. Nothing fair or honorable about it.

What peeves me the most is that the laws of most states claim that wildlife belong to the people of the state, but everything most wildlife departments do contradicts this. They charge people to hunt their own game. They don't ask for the sanction of the people when charging NR or even deciding to let them hunt. And worst of all, they allow landowners to put up high fences in the the name of "management", effectively capturing and holding animals that supposedly belong to all of us.

Here in TX the TPWD has now come up with a plan to further line their own pockets at the expense of those of us who already pay to hunt our own animals. If you can shell out a few more $ and spend even more on a large enough parcel of land (own or lease), then you can effectively "buy" the right to hunt more deer for a longer period of time. It all smacks of a bureaucracy that is hardly interested in managing deer for the good of everyone. What we now have is a bureaucracy that is most interested in perpetuating itself.  :evil:
There is no more humbling experience for man than to be fully immersed in nature's artistry.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2004, 05:57:43 AM »
Actually I believe that's on the low side of average for out of state deer tags in general and certainly for the west.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline jackfish

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2004, 02:40:32 PM »
At least you can only successfully draw every four or five years.  That saves a little but screws up the hunt.  Plus they keep $10 if you don't draw.
I think it is worth it though. North Dakota 2003
You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Offline AZ Dan

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2004, 05:17:50 PM »
I hear ya.  I guess it's just frustrating to me when people are getting 3 tags for the unit that we are hunting.  I don't think the residents are getting cheated by me getting a tag when they can get 3.  I could even get 3 if I had the $.  I agree it's still worth it.  Must have been in a bad mood on the first post.  Dan.

Offline smoky

• Contributor
    • http://www.cattletoday.com/sscc
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2004, 11:30:00 AM »
I've been paying a NR license fee in Arkansas for many years.  It has been $225 for the past 5 years.  It ain't cheap, although it does allow for the same harvesting options as resident hunters (3 deer and 2 turkey plus small game).  I get the pleasure of buying 2 of these each year (for me and the wife).  That plus my lease fees, gas, etc will run me $1,500 to $2,000 per year.  Wouldn't trade it for nothin' though as our club is made up of family and close friends.  This will be my dad's 35th year as a member!!  My three year old daughter can't wait to go back to the camp and I can't put a price on that.  Don't know if I can accomodate her request for a PINK gun so she can hunt with daddy, though.

Blessings,

Smoky [/b]
Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.