Author Topic: wheelchair ccw  (Read 502 times)

Offline spina bifida

• Trade Count: (0)
wheelchair ccw
« on: May 04, 2004, 01:13:56 PM »
Howdy all. I'm looking to start carrying a concealed weapon sometime in the future and I need some advice. As you can see by my username, I have spina bifida. I am confined to a wheelchair. I have full use of my arms and everything else above my knees. I just can't walk. I would like to know your opinion on CCW holsters for a guy in a wheelchair. I'm in a manully (arm) powered Quickie wheelchair. I will be carrying a semiauto handgun of some sort. Responses from people in wheelchairs or who know CCW holders that are in a wheelchair are preferred, but all advice is welcome.

Sincerely,

Jonathan

Offline leverfan

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
wheelchair ccw
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2004, 07:24:18 PM »
Jonathan-

I spent quite a while in a wheel chair after a bad car wreck, and my mother spent a lot of time in wheel chairs and scooters, too.  In my opinion/experience, a shoulder holster gets uncomfortable when using an arm powered chair.  My preference would be for a crossdraw holster designed to be worn by a seated driver.  Several of the major holster makers manufacture this type of holster, and it would keep the gun tucked out of the way, yet in the perfect position for you to draw it while sitting.  

Good luck on your search, and I'll try to find some specific holster makes and models.
NRA life member

Offline unspellable

• A Real Regular
CCW for wheelchair user
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2004, 01:32:15 AM »
Since you are confined to the wheelchair, my first thought would be to look for a location where it can be carried on the wheelchair itself.  If there is a good location, that would eliminate issues of comfort wearing it.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
wheelchair ccw
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2004, 03:38:14 AM »
spina bifida:  I think both leverfan and unspellable have given you the best advice possible.  

You are, in fact, a seated driver and a cross draw belt holster would serve you well in that regard.  Also, as unspellable points out, there may be someplace on the wheelchair where you could conceal a pistol, or a second one to back up a crossdraw belt holster.  

When my late wife was chairbound she found she could easily sit on a small holstered pcoket rocket - or at least it wasn't so bulky that it bothered her and it was verrrry readily available.  HTH.  Mikey.

Offline securitysix

• A Real Regular
wheelchair ccw
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2004, 04:58:39 AM »
I know you can get a "driver's crossdraw" holster, called the "Carjacker Crossdraw", from Andrews Leather.  It doesn't look like it would conceal well without some sort of cover, but it looks reasonably comfortable and pretty handy.  Their other crossdraw rig is an IWB model, so I'm thinking it may not do for you.

Offline Walosi

wheelchair ccw
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2004, 10:00:40 AM »
SB, I am still recovering from a bout with Guillame Barre Syndrome, from 1989. After some three months of re-hab, I spent some 26 months in almost exactly your situation, in a Quickie, carrying a small 9mm - a Smith 3913 in my case.

The suggestions for CD and the car-carry version are good, if your physique is right. In my case, the upper body motion, when "moving out" put the muzzle of the gun into my hip when I bent forward, and even with a good shirt tail for cover (tucked in shirts in a chair only stay for a moment or two) it was difficult to stay covered when opening heavy doors (backing in, using one arm to open the door and the other for locomotion). I tried a shoulder rig for one day, and the blisters lasted a week. Finally, I did the illogical thing and went to a strong-side IWB - an Alessi MOB, worn at 4 O'Clock. Shirt cover was good, the kevlar back rest did not print, and the extreme cant kept the muzzle away from muscles that were beginning to return to the point that they could feel day-long jabs and nudges as discomfort. Car seat experience will tell you that this position is hard to draw from. Wheel chair experience is different. WC operators are used to the slight forward and back upper torso motion that goes with locomoting a ricksha, and it takes only slightly more to lean forward enough to draw. I still use this holster, even while driving, for the 3913, a SIG P220, and a Smith 4516. Same old muscles in back, even more tender and quarrelsome now, and the rig rides well for long periods without disturbing them. The previously learned access motions work well even with a seatbelt on.

Offline DEPUTY

• A Real Regular
    • http://MGOUC.COM
wheelchair ccw
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2004, 09:35:12 PM »
having taught a few classes to wheel chair bound persons we have found that a fanny pack  is good it is secure and is fast with practice fo rthose that can draw  from one, also bad idea on the chair holster it is almost impossible to find a location that hides it from public view yet lets it be ready for use in an instant ! it isalso easier to grab when mounted on the chair by the bad guys!  crossdraw aint bad but it has issues with chairs and persons build!  the most popular guns we had found for persons to use was a sig 239 in 9mm using the crimson trace laser system  it helped them quite a bit ! and belive me we had over 30 handguns in different calibers and makes and sizes for all to try!  one of the biggest issues we addressed was fighting form the ground after being knocked out of the chair! which was asked to be implamented in our class due the number of students who had been robbed or just abused! but look at the eagle line of fanny pack  and maybe try a few crossdraw rigs!