Author Topic: How accurate are the .308s?  (Read 1197 times)

Offline itgoesboom

• Trade Count: (0)
How accurate are the .308s?
« on: May 16, 2004, 01:20:18 PM »
Looking at possibly purchasing my first NEF handi-rifle.  I am looking at getting the survivor model either in .223 or .308.  If I were to get the .223, it would be with the intention of adding a .308 within the year.

I have heard how accurate the .223s are, and that is why I am considering getting it, but how accurate are the .308s?

Any factory loads (I don't reload) that people are having good luck with?

Thanks.

I.G.B.

Offline ratherbefishin

• A Real Regular
how acurate
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2004, 01:45:54 PM »
I didn't know they still had a survivor model in a rifle configuration.I'm looking at a 20 guage survivor in the gunshop, but it's been there for a while.It looks just the thing for potting grouse on logging roads, though, keep it in the truck and the shells in the but stock.

Offline itgoesboom

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2004, 01:49:59 PM »
Still shows on their website.  I hope they still make them.  http://www.hr1871.com/firearms/index.php?cat=6&subcat=5

I.G.B.

Offline ratherbefishin

• A Real Regular
how accurate
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2004, 01:55:45 PM »
I stand corrected- it is the 20  and 12 guage they don't offer- only a 410.I'd like to see a stainless survivor model in 35 whelen toped with a
2 1/2 X scope.That's my idea of a good medium range bear-moose gun.Lot's of ''smack''without really high velocity

Offline cattleskinner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2004, 02:02:00 PM »
I have one of the .308 survivors, and overall, I would have to say that I'm pleased with it.  During the winter, if I did my part right, I got groups that were under an inch.  If not, well then the groups went to crap.  In my opinion, the stock is very comfortable to use, the only problem that I have with it though is that there isn't a recoil pad on it.  It's still not a huge problem, as some of the recoil is absorbed by the pistol grip.  It's a short, fairly light, good shooting rifle, and I'm sure that you won't be disappointed by either model you get.

~~~Cattleskinner
"You can't miss fast enough to win a gunfight"

Offline ratherbefishin

• A Real Regular
how accurate
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2004, 02:10:11 PM »
could you put a slip on recoil pad on it?What would be a simple option?

Offline cattleskinner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2004, 02:17:24 PM »
To tell you the truth, I haven't really been able to find a way of doing it.  I've looked at the various slip on designs, but I don't really want to shell out the cash without knowing whether or not it will fit.  I've seen some guys who have used the slip on pads, but doing so will preclude the use of the compartment in the stock(not that I use it for anything anyhow, I just like the feel of the stock).  To add to that, I really like the length of pull on the survivor stock (I believe it is about an inch shorter than the regular stocks).  I have also contemplated finding someone who would take a bandsaw, and cut the cover of the buttstock so that only a shim of the plastic remains, and then somehow rig a regular "grind to fit" recoil pad on it.  For the most part though, it works good the way that it is now, so until college is out for the summer, I guess I will have to make do as is, and save my tinkering for later.

~~~Cattleskinner
"You can't miss fast enough to win a gunfight"

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2004, 06:19:49 PM »
itgoesboom:

Yes they do make a Survivor in 308...but I'm not real crazy about the stock that cmae with mine...so I put on this stock ...along with the steel forearm spacer and steel trigger gaurd...

As far as factory loads that mine like...I've pretty good luck with Federal Gold Medal 168 grain match and for hunting Norma 180 grain ORYX...so far with all my handloading I still can't get as good of groups with any thing I've tried so far as these 2 factory loads...but I'm not giving up on getting my handload groups to improve....

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2004, 07:03:22 PM »
Cattleskinner.

Go to http://www.limbsaver.com/limbsaver/firearms/slipon.aspx
for a good recoil pad. You can print the different templates to fit your stock. They also list three sizes of slip on's.  Fred M.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline itgoesboom

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2004, 03:16:54 PM »
Mac,

That's one nice looking rifle.  What kind of groups are you getting with it?

I.G.B.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2004, 08:26:16 PM »
Thanks itgoesboom:

Believe it or not I was rushing so much when I sent my card in to Wilscott I didn't put a caliper on it so I can't really say....but it was the smallest group  so far, hopefully he'll get to them pretty soon...but it wasn't to bad with factory match ammo...my hunting ammo is running 3/4"-1" groups...now my handloads are really bumming me...I still haven't found the right combination with it yet...but I still have a ton of different bullets/powders to try :wink:

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline vick

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2004, 07:39:50 PM »
I have had pretty good luck with my survivor.  Like Mac, I didn't care for the thumbhole/pistolgrip stock.  So, I swapped pit with my Tracker II.  Isn't anywhere near as pretty as Mac's, but I get circa MOA groups from her with factory loads.  I'm just getting started trying to develop a handload for it.  Due to the baby I wasn't able to get a card in; maybe next time.  Overall, I really enjoy this particular rifle.  I have put venison in the freezer with it, and carried it quite a ways through the woods.  For field use the stubby build does well in the brush, and it balances much better than my turnbolts.  I liked it so much I took my lupey off my turnbolt, and put it on it.  The only upgrade I really want now is a .223 Ultra barrel for her, it's a disease  :-) .
Fear is but a stepping stone on the foot path to Glory.