Author Topic: Shot loads in .44 cap&ball?  (Read 852 times)

Offline Wynn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Shot loads in .44 cap&ball?
« on: June 05, 2004, 04:32:11 PM »
I spend a lot of time roaming the swamps/woods behind my property and like to carry my Remington 1858 for small game and chance encounters with feral hogs and alligators. However, with the rainy season upon us, I would like to load a couple of chambers with a shot load for snakes (and the 2lb bullfrogs that I love fried up). Anyone have any experience in making up shot capsules from paper or do they come pre-fabbed from a supplier maybe? Any first hand data on their use.

I use the cci snake loads in my .357 with very positive results but would like to try same in my Remington. Thanks :-)
American by birth; Southern by the Grace of God

Offline yooper

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2004, 05:19:34 PM »
Try about 18 grains of powder,a Wonder Wad,your favorite size shot,topped off with another Wonder Wad.Ya can't miss if your target is within 15 feet.

Offline simonkenton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2004, 01:06:27 AM »
I have to try some of these in my battles with carpenter bees who try to eat my log house.
Aim small don't miss.

Offline filmokentucky

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2004, 06:45:29 AM »
Wing shooting with a cap and ball revolver! I believe you've invented a new sport. And they say there's nothing new under the sun!
N.M.L.R.A. Member
T.M.A. Member
N.R.A. Endowment Life Member

Offline John Traveler

shot loads in .44 cap 'n ball revolver
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2004, 08:26:33 AM »
I've loaded fine birdshot into gelatin capsules (get from a drugstore) for both the .36 and .44 cap 'n ball revolvers.  A drop of cadle wax will hold the shot load in the chamber.

HTH
John
John Traveler

Offline Gatofeo

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2004, 08:09:46 AM »
Strictly a close-range proposition, 20 feet is the absolute maximum.
I've played with shot loads in my .36 Navy and .44 Remington. I don't recommend it in the .36 caliber. You can't get enough powder in there to give a decent velocity.
Consequently, the plywood target frame to which I'd pinned my patterning paper caused the low-velocity No. 9 shot to bounce back at me!
With the .44 you can get a little more powder, but beware of shooting any hard surfaces (rocks, stumps, metal, etc.) that might cause the shot to bounce back. You could get one in your eye.  :eek:
I hope there are plenty of bullfrogs where you are. In the past 20 years or so, a major population reduction in frogs has occured throughout much of the nation. Bullfrogs are among those hardest hit.
Sad to see a species slip, especially one with so much cultural heritage attached to it ("Froggie Went A Courtin'," the deep throaty sounds of bullfrogs I listened to as a kid, the Warner Bros. frog, etc.).
Don't know where you live, but you're lucky. I'd love to hear a bullfrog again. Haven't in many years. Some good memories of lying in my sleeping bag, in a dark tent, listening to a big croaker going "hoop" ... "hoop."
"A hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .44."

Offline Wynn

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2004, 11:11:20 AM »
Gatofeo. I've read about the decline of Bull frogs around the country. I live in central Florida and the numbers seem lower than in the 60's and 70's When we gig them at night we usually harvest Leopard frogs 4 to 1 over Bull frogs. Equally good eating but not as big.
American by birth; Southern by the Grace of God

Offline MOGorilla

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2004, 02:51:24 AM »
Off topic, but the last research on frog problems I read was pointing towards UV light.  Up north in Wisconsin was where they were having mutations.  They looked into just about every contaminent they could and it looks as if UV light, due to depletion in the ozone is the culprit.