Author Topic: .45 cal bullets in cap&ball revolvers?  (Read 1397 times)

Offline Vanstg

• Trade Count: (0)
.45 cal bullets in cap&ball revolvers?
« on: April 15, 2004, 11:39:55 AM »
Has anyone ever tried .45 cal (.451 or .452) lead bullets in a .44 cal cap & ball revolver?

Offline headshooter

Re: .45 cal bullets in cap&ball revolvers?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2004, 01:58:08 PM »
Quote from: Vanstg
Has anyone ever tried .45 cal (.451 or .452) lead bullets in a .44 cal cap & ball revolver?

Hi there, I just recently bought my first cap and ball 1858 Texas New Army brass frame revolver from Cabelas( CHRISTmas-b'day present from wife) in 44 cal....so i'm new to blackpowder shooting as well...i bought the starter kit with it..and it included .451 cal ball projectiles....from reading info on all these pages i understand that we can use .454 and.457 as well, but be careful with the larger diameter ones....as it will cause unneccesary stress on the under the barrel loading arm on the rem 1858 and others....ijust bought a loading tool from thunder ridge.

Any questions this is the place to be.i;m still learning too....just keep an eye out on these forums....great info

Good shooting   :D
Live for today! life''''s too darn short----enjoy the outdoors to it''''s MAX----and teach your children the same values  8)   :sniper:

Offline Shorty

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2004, 02:51:06 PM »
If you're talking bullets made for .45 Colt or .45ACP, I don't see how you could get them started straight into the mouth of the chamber.  Bullets (conical) made for the C & B revolvers have a reduced diameter base.

Offline Flint

conicals
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2004, 05:35:37 PM »
I have shot Speer 45 cal 200 gr SWC meant for the 45ACP from a 58 Remington, and though the rammer deforms the bullet nose a bit, they shoot, and hit with authority.  I couldn't get that bullet into the loading port of an 1860 Army.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline Vanstg

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2004, 04:36:23 AM »
Thanks.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I did mean .45 Colt or .45 ACP lead bullets.

I just got myself a 1858 Rem repro. Round balls in .454 diameter are hard to find in my area. And when available they are very expensive.

I may have to start casting my own .454 balls.

However I can get cast lead bullets for a good price at the local gun store. Some .45 cal bullets have bevel bases, maybe that would help start them into the cylinder chambers.

Thanks again,
Vanstg

Offline Flint

roundballs
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2004, 04:55:48 AM »
vanstg, try warrenmuzzleloading.com.  They have sprueless cast balls, and ship reasonably.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline Gatofeo

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2004, 01:41:11 PM »
I don't recommend using .45 Auto or .45 Colt lead bullets in the cap and ball.
For one thing, those you buy cast are usually hard. This increases strain on the rammer.
As has been stated, you can use SWAGED .45 bullets. Lead that is swaged must be very soft or the lead will create fissures under pressure.
So, as far as hardness goes swaged bullets are okay.
However, bullets designed for the .45 metallic cartridges have no stepped-in heel. This helps tremendously when you're trying to seat a bullet straight.
I'm skeptical that a bevel-based bullet would help much when it came to seating the bullet in a cap and ball revolver. I would think the bullet would want to tilt, even a small amount. That's the problem with bullets that don't have an aligning heel. I've never tried a bevel-base bullet.
Another problem is the lubricant typically found on cast bullets intended for cartridge guns. It's likely a lubricant unsuitable for black powder: hard and made from petroleum products.
Swaged bullets have very little lubricant on them.
In both of the above cases, you'll need to augment lubrication by putting an approved lubricant over the ball after seating.
Even with conical bullets made for cap and ball revolvers, accuracy is usually disappointing. I've never found a projectile that beats the soft, lead ball for accuracy and ease of loading.
"A hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .44."

Offline HWooldridge

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2004, 03:23:23 PM »
A typical bullet will also take up more room than a ball and likely require a reduced charge to allow seating.

Offline Vanstg

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2004, 03:49:14 AM »
Thank you guys for the good information.
I thought about using .45 cal bullets 'cause they are readily available and cheap. However I'm now convinced .45 cal bullets in cap&ball revs would be too iffy.
I will start casting my own .454 balls.

Vantsg

Offline willysjeep134

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2004, 05:57:07 PM »
Lee moulds are really cheap, and available in many sizes. Check out the MIdway USA catalog. They will subscribe you for free if you request a catalog. I think it's like $16 for a single cavity mould. Buying balls is pretty cheap if you have a big chain sporting goods store by you, like Cabela's or Gander Mountain.
If God wanted plastic stocks he would have made plastic trees.

Offline Blackhawk44

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2004, 01:22:44 PM »
You need to see if you can contact Ed Harris.  I believe he is a member here.  He once did a rather complete article on the subject, but I can't remember where or when.