Author Topic: SRH 454 - Not really impressed  (Read 575 times)

Offline Varmint Hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
SRH 454 - Not really impressed
« on: May 19, 2004, 03:21:27 AM »
Last year I bought a SRH 454 and sent it out to Mag-Na-Port arms to have the action worked & forcing cone recut, in addition to the mag-na-ported barrel being done.

So far I have only shot jacketed bullets (300gr-250gr-240gr) with full power loads and have not been impressed with the 50yard accuracy. I shoot from a sandbag rest and a solid shooting bench. Would switching to hard cast bullets stand a good chance of improving accuracy?

VH

Offline Rmouleart

• Contributor
  • Aim small hit small.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2004, 04:43:14 AM »
For the most part Its the shooter not the gun/bullet,unless there is something wrong with your barrel? The SRH 454 Casull is a big heavy handgun well built to take a hammering, if take proper hold and stance and a good load is applied, you should be able to hit mark at 50 yards no problem, maybe try benched at 20 yards first, then after making that distance work out lead up to the 50 yards. The 454 Casull is known to make the best of us flinch;) but when you take the accuracy of the SRH 44 mag and its best load and compare it to the 454 Casull, the 44 Mag comes out on top for me, maybe due to less recoil and slugging a smaller bullet, not sure, But I can shoot my 454 Casull good enough for a hunting situation, may not shoot strings all the time like the 44 mag but can keep them in the ten ring and thats what counts. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

Offline Zeus

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2004, 04:48:05 AM »
The load that I've had the best accuracy from in my Freedom Arms is a 300 grain XTP MAGNUM (make sure its the magnum version, one crimp groove) over 32 grains of W296.  I load these in Freedom Arms cases with a CCI small rifle primer.  At 50 yards, this groups in a ragged hole.  If you've tried that one, I don't know what to tell you.  What are the throat sizes on your gun?  May want to check that for starters.  If they are too small, this will negatively effect your accuracy.  I just bought an old ruger 45 that the throats are too tight on.  I'm thinking of ordering the throat reamer from Brownells and seeing how much help that will give.  Groups are not bad now but I know they can be better.  Back off your loads just a bit if you have to and see what happens.  The 454 doesn't have to be run full throttle to be effective for sure.  Sorry I'm not more help on this one.  Maybe someone will chime in.  I know that MS Hitman had one of these for a while that he also sent to Magnaport.  He may be able to tell you what he did with his to get it to shoot.  He doesn't have it anymore but he may still be able to help you.  GS

Offline Questor

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2004, 05:01:12 AM »
The jacketed bullets seem to be the most accurate in my guns.  What kind of accuracy are you getting?
Safety first

Offline Rmouleart

• Contributor
  • Aim small hit small.
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2004, 06:21:16 AM »
I also shoot Hornadys 300gr XTP HP .452/ speers 300gr GDHP using 30gr W296 nickel plated Starline brass, Rem 6 1/2 primers, Lee factory crimp. Good to go;)
The 32grs is too hot for my load, got better accuracy using the 30grs W296. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

Offline Zeus

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2004, 06:44:39 AM »
Like Rambo said, you may want to back off of the 32 to see what your gun likes.  As I mentioned in my post, they don't have to go full throttle to be effective.  However, I don't use a factory crimp die.  I seat and crimp in two separate steps with my RCBS dies.  They used the same method at the Freedom Arms company when they were producing bullets.  Puts a nice tight clean crimp that way without bulging cases.  Either way will work fine.  Good luck with it.  GS

Offline 1911crazy

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2004, 03:33:39 AM »
I would cut down on the load and the accuracy should improve.  BigBill

I don't use any rest with my 44mag I just aim lower and let the gun rise and its hit in the black.  Don't fight the gun use the recoil to your advantage.

Offline Duffy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2004, 05:05:45 PM »
Mine likes cast bullets waaayyy better. Bore is .452 and cyl is .454 so I size .453 and it shoots fine.