Author Topic: 44 special??  (Read 747 times)

Offline lubbockdave

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
44 special??
« on: May 09, 2004, 05:18:08 PM »
what is it about the 44 special that it is not nearly as common or popular as the 38 special? and how do the two compare as far as self defense and general shooting purposes?

Thanks

Dave

Offline Walosi

• Trade Count: (0)
44 special??
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2004, 06:14:21 PM »
The .44 Special seemed to lose its' peak popularity with the introduction of the .44 Magnum. Even so, it still has a large hard-corps following. In fact, there seems to be an increase lately, evidenced by the addition of several new factory loads in the last couple of years.

Bullet weight and diameter give the .44 a large edge over the .38 Special in normal loadings. Hot handloads, and a couple of the new  factory PD loads, can be compared with .45 acp +p, pushing it even farther ahead.

Offline dawei

• Contributor
    • My Brothers Rest Here
Re: 44 special??
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2004, 06:39:35 PM »
Quote from: lubbockdave
what is it about the 44 special that it is not nearly as common or popular as the 38 special? and how do the two compare as far as self defense and general shooting purposes?

Thanks

Dave

The 44 Special is a GREAT CARTRIDGE; remerging in popularity more & more. The big slow moving bullet is easy on the shooter but devestating on the felon. Additionally you can shoot 44 Special in a 44 Mag as you can use 38 Spec in a 357 Mag. Taurus® in particular has really helped to bring this wonderful round back into prominence.

Offline Rmouleart

• Contributor
  • Aim small hit small.
44 special??
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2004, 09:11:35 AM »
I agree the 44sp is a good protection revolver, plenty of knockdown power, but not too bad on the recoil end either. Many good bullet now a days, I like to use 200gr Speer golddots using 8gr of Unique CCI primers, this is using my Taurus 5 shot, very accurate and man those GD are ashtrays, I bet they would open up nice, since they are halfway there as it is LOL. I just remember back years ago there was a creep killing woman with the 44sp bulldog(Son of Sam) shooting them point blank in the face using the 44SP Bulldog. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

Offline Jim n Iowa

• A Real Regular
44sp
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2004, 02:25:19 PM »
I traded my 2" colt 38 for a Taurus 2" 44 sp, great gun for carry(hammerless). I currently have winchester 200 hps, but plan to crank up the press for some 240 hard cast. I also shoot 240 hard cast  44sp in my Redhawk 5.5" field carry gun.
Jim

Offline lubbockdave

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
44 special??
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2004, 02:39:36 PM »
Jim,

how much more bulky is the Taurus than the colt?? I am hearing that the 44 is not so popular cause the cartridge requires a more bulky pistol to handle it(or they were just made bigger), where as the 357/38's are smaller, easier to conceal and easier to handle.

BTW, how do you like the Taurus? heard mostly bad things on them, but never owned one and have no bias one way or another.  I am considering trading in a GP 100 in 357-6 inch barrel or a Marlin 1894 in 357 for a 44 spl revolver with the 2-3 inch barrel, so I was just wondering...

Thanks

Dave

Offline oldhunter

• Avid Poster
44 special??
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2004, 04:15:11 PM »
Began researching and reading all I could about the .44 Special several months ago and last month bought a S&W model 696 in 98% condition.  This model has a 3" non-ported barrel with adjustable rear sight and is built on the L frame.  Comes in stainless steel only.

Started by looking at Taurus 445 and Charter 2000 Bulldog but quickly decided against both.  Taurus is a good appearing revolver but has a ported barrel and hot/cold quality control.  The Bulldog is very light and does not seem to durable enough to stand much shooting with heavy loads.  Not bad-mouthing them, just like the S&W much better.

I do not reload (yet) but have been shooting CCI Blazer 200gr GDHP, Federal 200gr SWHP and Hornady 180gr JHP/XTP.  Hornady & CCI are equal in accuracy with Federal close behind.  At 25 yards from a bench, will average 2 - 2 1/2" shooting about 3" low.

The Hornady is rated at 1,000 fps, but would be a bit slower in the 3" barrel.  Can expect the 200gr bullets to travel at about 850 fps and the Hornady over 900 fps.  As dawei describes, easy to shoot but devestating on the receiving end.  In recent years have carried either a Bersa .380 or Rossi .38sp and considered both as marginal self defense weapons.  Now, the .44 sp  will serve both as a carry gun and a companion in the woods when hunting, scouting or riding my ATV.

Offline alamogunr

• GBO Supporter
44 special
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2004, 04:38:25 PM »
Like oldhunter, I have a S&W 696.  In my area .44 special store bought ammo costs about a third more than .44 mag.  The one box I shot converted me completely.  Granted factory ammo is somewhat underpowered according to the tables, but now I've got the dies and the molds and will be ordering some Starline brass soon.  I plan to have a lot more fun.  By the way, does anyone have a recommendation for a CCW holster?
John

Offline dawei

• Contributor
    • My Brothers Rest Here
44 special??
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2004, 02:33:29 AM »
Quote from: oldhunter
LARGE SNIP.............
 As dawei describes, easy to shoot but devestating on the receiving end.  In recent years have carried either a Bersa .380 or Rossi .38sp and considered both as marginal self defense weapons.  Now, the .44 sp  will serve both as a carry gun and a companion in the woods when hunting, scouting or riding my ATV.

It's nice having a gun that can do double or triple duty; I really enjoy my 7 shot Taurus® Mdl 617. I use Remington Golden Saber® 125gr BJHP for duty/defence. When I'm in the woods I carry Federal CastCore® 180 Semi-Wadcutters. I'm going to purchase a Mdl 445 soon.

Offline dawei

• Contributor
    • My Brothers Rest Here
Re: 44 special
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2004, 02:36:37 AM »
Quote from: alamogunr
Like oldhunter, I have a S&W 696.  In my area .44 special store bought ammo costs about a third more than .44 mag.  The one box I shot converted me completely.  Granted factory ammo is somewhat underpowered according to the tables, but now I've got the dies and the molds and will be ordering some Starline brass soon.  I plan to have a lot more fun.  By the way, does anyone have a recommendation for a CCW holster?
John

Any holster for K/L frame works. A Galco® FLETCH comes to mind.

Offline madbadger

44 special??
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2004, 11:50:22 AM »
I have five revolvers in .44 Special...Colt SAA's, S&W 24's & a Freedom Arms 97.

The .44 Special is - in my opinion - the most versatile and useful chambering.  The worst thing that happened to the .44 Special was the Magnum.  Now, nearly all .44 Special revolvers are in .44 Magnum framed guns so I can see why people question the usefulness.  I believe Taurus may be the only exception....

The Special is an excellent self-defense round, much admired by the LEO's that have already "ridden the river" back when the revolver was the sidearm of choice.

Again, in my opinion, you simply cannot go wrong with the leather from El Paso Saddlery for either concealed or field carry.  Good stuff.

MadBadger
Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster, and what has happened once in 6000 years, may not happen again.

-- Daniel Webster

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
44 special??
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2004, 02:58:34 PM »
I suppose from my handle you would think that I am an enthusest for the .44 spl.  YES!  I also like the Charter for an all around gun.  It is light and that makes it great for all day carry.  The down side is more felt recoil from a light weight gun.  I have two and love them.  Also like the .44 spl in the Colt SAA.  I also appreciate that the Clones have made it widely available (unlike Colt).  In the single actions you can pump it up safely to 1000/1100 fps for hunting, but it is not necessary.  Big, slow, bullets just get the job done.  The British used the old .455 Webley sucessfully all over the globe with a 255 gr bullet at barely 700 fps.  People hit with it went down and stayed down.  I usually load 245 gr bullets at about 850 fps (7.5 gr Unique) for most of my woods use.  For carry, I too use a 200 gr gold dot or 200 xtp over 8.0 gr unique in both Charters.  I like the S&W 696 but the trigger reach is a little long for my small hands.  The Charters and the SAA's fit me just fine.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline madbadger

44 special??
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2004, 03:28:49 AM »
44 Man,  

I'll have to do some more checking on the Charter's.  Good to know you like yours so well.  When I saw the warning from Buffalo Bore ammo......well, I just presumed it was a warning due to strength or design of the Charter.  Little did I know it was just 'cause the Charter would try to buck you off!  I've been looking for a good Special "back pocket pistol" and will look into the Charter.

I'm also a big believer in the .455 and agree with what you said about that round and enjoy the history of WWI revolvers.

During the Philippine insurrection, the U.S. adopted the .38 Special as the standard issue.  It proved to be wholly ineffective in stopping power.  I know the .38 Special has been used and used effectively for personal defense.......I just find it instructive that when personal defense situations seem to happen several times every day for days on end (military conflict) the guys pulling the trigger seem to prefer larger bore sizes at moderate velocity.  But that's just my preference.  Plenty out there that prefer something else.
Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster, and what has happened once in 6000 years, may not happen again.

-- Daniel Webster

Offline dawei

• Contributor
    • My Brothers Rest Here
44 special??
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2004, 03:36:53 AM »
Quote from: madbadger
44 Man,  

Large Snip.............

During the Philippine insurrection, the U.S. adopted the .38 Special as the standard issue.  It proved to be wholly ineffective in stopping power.  I know the .38 Special has been used and used effectively for personal defense.......I just find it instructive that when personal defense situations seem to happen several times every day for days on end (military conflict) the guys pulling the trigger seem to prefer larger bore sizes at moderate velocity.  But that's just my preference.  Plenty out there that prefer something else.

It wasn't the 38 Special, it was the 38 Colt. Big difference between the two.

Offline madbadger

44 special??
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2004, 04:23:29 AM »
Ahhh, Thanks for the correction!  I should've caught that myself.  Yessiree there is quite a difference....

-- Daniel Webster

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
44 special??
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2004, 08:58:17 PM »
I bought one of the Taurus 44's a few years ago and after carrying/shooting a 38/357 for so long, I was instantly converted.  Mild mannered, easy on the wallet, and deadly accurate.  The only downside I can find is the size of the guns, which simply cannot be as easily hidden as a snubby 38.  But if you can carry one comfortably, you have moved up a major step.  I tested a lot of ammo out of mine, as most loads aren't meant to expand from a three inch barrel.  Most don't.  Speer Gold Dots, and to a lesser degree, W-W Silvertips were acceptable performers.  On the same token, a good flatnosed slug of 200-240 grains will also put a hurt on a bad guy.  
As to quality control on the Taurus line, inspect before you buy!  My 44 was terrific, the 357 I bought later was a wreck.  Caveat Emptor!

Papajohn
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?