Author Topic: a new perspective !  (Read 554 times)

Offline ScatterGunner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
a new perspective !
« on: May 14, 2004, 02:16:47 PM »
ok - i have a new and profound respect for turkey hunters.

my mindset was that after years of shooting bob whites, how hard could turkey hunting be ??? they're bigger, slower, turkey hunting MUST be easy, they walk towards you and gobble like a teenage boy chasing girls at his first high school dance. shooting fish in a bucket !

we went out this morning, a day earlier than we initially planned, my friend, an experienced turkey hunter was going to show me the ropes.

with the 12 ga turkey choked handi in tow, netted up, camo'ed to the tee with cabela's latest and smelling like 312% DEET, i sat at the base of a tree stump looking and smelling like a heap of rotting lawn clippings from 5:00am to 12:00noon. not a shot for me.

i get back to camp knowing what a well digger has and all bit up by bugs. got more turkey in the sandwich i bought tuesday in terminal C at O'Hare airport than a whole morning sitting out in the woods.

my friend, he bags a young male (a jake ?) who happens to accidently walk in front of his gun barrel.

i soaked him (the jake ?) in orange juice, tossed in some bacon and popped him the oven. he's about to be consumed by higher life forms along with a few cans of cold lager.

tomorrow morning , i start the quest again with dry pants and unused tags !

sg
there''s room for all of God''s fauna and flora, right on my dinner plate!

Offline whitedogone

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
a new perspective !
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2004, 02:50:56 PM »
Well, if you really want to get into the birds.  You have to put in your time finding the birds.  I always TRY to setup within 100 yards of where them birds is a roosting.  That can be a real challenge sometimes.  We always TRY to find them birds roosting the evening before.  Then setup close enough to them so that you can give them a couple of calls just before they fly down or right after they do.  I think that one of the keys is to get them walking your way.  Most of the time when I can do this i'll soon have birds in the decoys.
Good luck and have a cold one for me!

WDO
Beretta S686 Sporting 12g 30"
Beretta Silver Pigeon Sporting 20g 28"
Ithaca (SKB) Model 500 Skeet 28g 28"
Browning BPS Syn. 12g 3.5" 26"
Browning BPS rifled w/ Pentax 2x5x20
Tikka M595 in .223 w/ Bushnell Elite 4200 4-16x40
Savage 93 in 17HMR w/ Mueller APV 4.5-14
Winchester 94 mint Built in 1951
Ruger Redhawk 7 1/2" 44 Mag

http://www.illinoiscarry.com/