Author Topic: Colt revolving rifle?  (Read 2305 times)

Offline Will52100

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Colt revolving rifle?
« on: May 07, 2004, 04:57:11 PM »
I keep hearing rumors of a replica of a colt revolving rifle being produced or about to be produced.  Any one have any hard data on this?  Sure would be cool.

Thanks,

Will
The thing about freedom, it's never free
www.courtneyknives.com

Offline Will52100

• A Real Regular
Colt revolving rifle?
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2004, 03:14:27 PM »
Thanks, but not exactly what I had in mind, unless I extend the stock an inch or two, it's a little small for my 6'2" frame.

I have "heard" that a replica revolving colt is being build, but haven't seen any evedence.
www.courtneyknives.com

Offline Singing Bear

• Avid Poster
Colt revolving rifle?
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2004, 03:36:16 PM »
Haven't heard any rumors of an offering.

It just had a write up in the March issue of the American Rifleman.  Pretty interesting article of it's mfr and use from beginning to the end of the CW and how some traded them in for the then new Sharps breech loader.  

According to the article, there was a six shot prewar model in 44 cal. and a 5 shot war time model in 56 cal.   These were side hammer percussion revolving rifles.  They're cylinders are about 50% longer than the 58 scavenger rifle from Cabela's, so it'll hold a serious powder charge.  Also, many soldiers used a leather arm guard so they could hold the rifle by it's forearm and not get stung by the escaping gasses from the barrel cylinder gap.

If a replica is offered,  you can bet it'll be one nice looking piece.  Because of it's sidehammer, flutted cylinder, loading lever and percussion configuration, it looks fairly ornate.  Mix this in with fine CCH and blueing....probably expensive.  :-)
Singing Bear

Offline filmokentucky

• A Real Regular
Colt revolving rifle?
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2004, 04:15:35 PM »
There's a custom made revolving carbine for sale at Gunbroker.com. It's
based on a Colt Dragoon and is a one-off. Looks like the length of pull might  be a little longer than the Remington. Not quite what you're after,  but it might be worth a look. Anyway, it's number 18143086.
N.M.L.R.A. Member
T.M.A. Member
N.R.A. Endowment Life Member

Offline Old No7

Not a rumor...
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2004, 03:37:20 AM »
One of the replica companies in Italy -- forget which one -- has made a revolving Colt Rifle for many years.  Check online at Navy Arms, Uberti or Pietta.

I think that Cabela's use to carry one in their catalog too, check their site at www.cabelas.com.  Or maybe at Dixie Gun Works?

I saw one in a gun shop a year ago and handled it, as I've always been intrigued by the design.  If it wasn't for the caps going off "so close to my face" (even wearing glasses), I might have taken it home with me...  It was nicely finished and was an interesting firearm.  Certainly one you don't see too often.

Tight groups!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment...  One cannot exist without the other."  © 2000 DTH

Offline MOGorilla

• Avid Poster
Colt revolving rifle?
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2004, 02:09:23 AM »
The only revolving rifles I have seen are based on the Remmington design.  I have heard the same rumors about the Colt 1855 model.  I have seen several threads on couple of Civil War sites I lurk on.  What I know is that Palmetto makes a Colt Root Revolver in .32, sold exclussively through Dixie gunworks.   When the .32 was released, Palmetto representatives were telling people at the CAS convention in Vegas that a .36 model would follow as well as a musket in .44.   I heard this from a friend who heard it directly from the Palmetto table.  I do know that the root revolver is not getting rave reviews, so if you are really interested, I would contact Dixie and see what they say or Palmetto directly.  I am interested as well, but would probably prefer to see it released as a Carbine version, like what the Texas Rangers carried.  Shorter length, so you are less inclined to put your hand forward of the cylinder, ouch.

Offline Will52100

• A Real Regular
Colt revolving rifle?
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2004, 04:22:03 PM »
Thanks Guys, I've got an idea to convert a walker to a carbine, but as buisy as I am I might get to by retirement age!  If I ever do it will be like the Dragoon pictured at Gunbroker, thanks for the directions filmokentucky.

I've done a search and have come up with nothing for a revolving rifle unless you count the "non-firing replica's", which I don't count.

Thanks again,

Will
www.courtneyknives.com

Offline MOGorilla

• Avid Poster
Colt revolving rifle?
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2004, 02:06:02 AM »
I have an 1860 colt army with the shoulder stock.   It is a tack driver out to 75 yards, I haven't tried it further.  I have not had trouble with the caps going off that close to the face, but I always wear safety glasses.  I have always like the look of the colt carbines.  I saw an original 1855 colt saddle carbine made for the Texas Rangers.  It was in great shape, and I believe it had $17,500 price tag.   I wish someone would make one, that or the LeMat Carbine.  I don't think many made it through the Yankee blockade, but that would have been a wicked carbine from horseback.  

See here for a description of the lemat carbine
 http://www.floridareenactorsonline.com/carbinesetc.htm

Offline Joseph Wheeler

Colts Revolving Rifle
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2004, 12:43:43 PM »
I beleive Dixie  offers a Model 1855 "Root" Revolver in 2 variations , these are .44 cal side hammers , made by palmetto , I have heard soon they are going to take the design and recreate it into the famed revolving Carbine/Rifle