Author Topic: Whitetail Shoulder Mount  (Read 1147 times)

Offline HuntingGuy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Whitetail Shoulder Mount
« on: June 06, 2004, 12:31:59 PM »
Hey all..

I am looking around right now for taxidermists to do a mount for me next hunting season, and came across a local guy that in my eyes does good work - but I am not experienced in taxidermy what so ever, so I would like your opinion on his work.  He is going to charge me 350.00 for the mount.

Here are some whitetail mounts he has done:  
http://atailfortales.com/atailfortales/myarticles.asp?P=5468&S=79&PubID=4408&UT=admin&UID=535

Let me know what you guys think.

Regards, HuntingGuy
HuntingGuy
Hunting in Minnesota Moderator

"You can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy"

Offline huntsman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Whitetail Shoulder Mount
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2004, 05:46:17 PM »
Most times you get what you pay for, but not always.

The work posted appears to be an advertisement for this taxidermist. If this is his best work, I would go elsewhere. Although his technique appears sound as far as can be seen in these images, his artistic technique leaves a lot to be desired. All of the animals pictured appear to be half-asleep, wandering aimlessly down the trail. A good taxidermist can make your animal come alive and give it some individual personality. Note the ear position on most of the animals, the droopy eyelids, and the non-chalant forms he has chosen for these mounts.

Certain types of antlers look better on certain forms. Low-profile forms are best on deer with wide spreading anlters without tall tines, for instance. Upright, erect forms in general help accentuate long tines and rearward form, such as G1s and G2s.

Ear position can be changed to make the buck look more alive and about to move, rather than poised in the "caught in the headlights" position all the time. In general a slight difference in ear position is better than a mirror image position.

I would look for someone else if it were me.
There is no more humbling experience for man than to be fully immersed in nature's artistry.

Offline Lil John

Whitetail Shoulder Mount
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2004, 06:39:03 PM »
I have to agree with huntsman, Not the best work I have seen.
The ear position dose a lot for the mount, I prefer to have them layed back a bit, It just looks more natural to me.
Here is a look at the deer I had mounted last season.
I payed about $400.00 for this job, and I think it was done nicely.
it;s not the best photo, but look at the ear position on my mount and compare it to the deer in your post.

Offline HuntingGuy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Whitetail Shoulder Mount
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2004, 06:57:15 AM »
Could you recommend a very good taxidermist here in the US with reasonable pricing?

Thanks, HuntingGuy
HuntingGuy
Hunting in Minnesota Moderator

"You can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy"

Offline Lil John

Whitetail Shoulder Mount
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2004, 12:07:24 PM »
H.G....
I don't know how far you want to ship your head, but here are a couple of taxis. you can contact.
this first one is the guy who did the mount in the pix above.
Heart of America Taxidermy
Jack L. McCarty, Taxidermist
Washington. Kansas 66968
785-325-2308

This guy dose the best work I have ever seen (game heads), He is a bit further away from you, and because of his quality of work, he is very busy and has a turn around time of no less than one year.
He has done two heads for me, and I will absolutely bring him my next trophy head.

Hillside Taxidermist
River rd
Ware MA. 01082
413-967-7662

These are the only two I would recommend.
I am sure if you do some looking around, you can find a very good taxidermist close to home.
Just remember to go to their shops and look at some recent work, and look at the mounts you are thinking of having done, (deer heads). In my experience most taxidermist are usually very good at one type of work, and just ok at others. the guy who dose good fish may not do a good deer head.
Ask for some references.

Offline wvbowman04

Whitetail Shoulder Mount
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2004, 02:04:34 PM »
I will have to agree with everybody above on this guys work.  The position of the ears and the openess and pupil direction of the eyes doesn't correspond.  If you can find some good up close pics of captive deer you will see what I mean.  I would also find someone else.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer with his buddies for a lifetime.

This isn't a beer gut!!  Its a feul tank for a sex machine!!

Offline Big

• Avid Poster
Whitetail Shoulder Mount
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2004, 06:38:43 PM »
I thought, "how bad could they be?" before I clicked on that link, but yeah, they're pretty bad.  Kinda look like plastic "Santa's Reindeer" at the department store during Christmas.

I can suggest a taxidermist who's done three beautiful heads for me, as well as a whole bunch for the Galyan's near me:

Charlie Culbertson
North American Wildlife Taxidermy
Gude Drive
Rockville, Maryland
301-294-8860

A lot of people around here bring their stuff to him.  He does Alaskan and Canadian big game as well.  His really look alive; actually a little spooky!
"...the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."